“Very modern and convenient” 5 of 5 stars

Announcement
Enjoy the Summer
Ranked #7 of 188 hotels in Atlanta
Dallas, Tx
“Very modern and convenient”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2009

I stayed here for back-to-back business trips (all in same week). One was to conduct an on-site review for a conference to be held at GaTech in 2010 and then for a conference held at the hotel. The hotel is conveniently located to GaTech and is right across the street from a HUGE Barnes & Noble with a full-service Starbucks inside. There are plenty of restaurants in the immediate area and the trolley takes you to just about anyplace you would like to go. The amenities/facilities for the conference were excellent (some of the best I have encountered, and I have been to too many conferences to count). They have a business center plus 4 computers in the lobby / lounge area of the hotel. The lobby/lounge area is very nice with lots of seating where you can visit with friends and "people watch" out the huge windows. The buffet breakfast was excellent. The rooms are very modern and the beds are very comfortable (even comes with choices of pillows!). My week-long stay there was very nice!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

495 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Washington D.C
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for business/convention at Ga Tech Univ and had a terrible experience from check in till check out. The hotel does not provide basic things like toothpaste! So, we call the front desk and get a rude reply saying that a small tube is $2 and we have to purchase it. We ask them to send it upstairs and add it to our hotel charge, they still treat us as if we cannot afford it and keep mentioning that it will be a charge. After all this it is still not sent to our room.

After dinner we get back to the hotel around 11:30pm and find no one at the front desk. A staff member is in the back room which was 10 feet away with the door open. We say "excuse me" about 7 times but he does not even bother to look back to acknowledge us for 20 minutes. 10 feet and the man cannot hear us!! That just tells you that the staff does not care at all!

I would think at $200 per night and being a corporate hotel, the staff would be courteous and polite.

There is a $10 parking charge and $15 for in-and-out parking. $10 for internet. Beware there is ZERO security in the parking garage and this hotel is located in Atlanta Midtown which is not the safest area.

There are other hotels in the vicinity which are much better to choose from. I would recommend my company to never book here again.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
DirectorOperations, Stephen Stark, Director of Operations at Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, February 6, 2009
We truly appreicate your feedback and would welcome the opportunity to speak to you further regarding your recent stay with us. Please call me directly so we can ensure we win your business back!
Tampa, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2008

Another reviewer already mentioned this with regard to females traveling alone, and I can second that. I checked into the hotel on a Sunday night, no mention was made to me that the garage was not hotel property, that there is any risk parking there, that there are no security patrols and no cameras, etc. I figured that at $200/night, I could expect some level of security for my vehicle.

I worked from my room Monday and get a call at 9 PM Monday evening that the police needed to see me; yep, the car had been broken into at some point between 10 PM Sunday and 9 PM Monday. No one has any idea when because there is no security whatsoever; evidently it took a guest reporting it before anyone even knew. I had a small laptop hidden in the center console compartment, they took that and left everything that was visible, so it was a break in just to see what was in there. $2300 for that, $510 in repairs to the door and window of the car, $250 to AT&T for the wireless card that went with the laptop, a lost day of working trying to get my window replaced, etc. and the hotel's only response is "the garage is not ours, sorry." They would not even refund the money I was paying them for the privilege of parking in the garage that is not theirs! To add insult to injury, the bellman tells me that the garage laid off its security patrol a few weeks prior.

Both nights following the incident I was approached by panhandlers asking for change when coming and going from the garage.

The hotel itself was nice and clean, pillows are small and a bit uncomfortable, workout room was very good with lots of machines and treadmills, security is non-existent. Move it to a different area or add security and you've got a great option, otherwise it's just not worth the risk.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Security problems
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2008

I visited the hotel for just one night but was very satisfied. I was impressed at being able to access many different sites, especially because I did not have a rental car available.

PROS:

- Starbucks directly across the street within the Barnes&Noble bookstore.

- Front desk was very friendly. Allowed me an early check-in (11:00 AM) and was kind enough to honor my request to be situated near my two co-workers.

- A stop for the GA Tech Trolley is directly outside the hotel, which makes for a convenient 3-5 min. ride between the hotel and Midtown MARTA station. Or, if you prefer to take a stroll, the Midtown MARTA station is only a 0.4 mi walk.

- Plentiful restaurants within a walking distance. I visited:
J Christophers for breakfast (0.8 mi)
Gordon Biersch for its microbrews (0.4 mi)
Tin Drum Asia Cafe for a light dinner (0.1 mi)

CONS:

- My room was placed next to the service elevator, which caused a very noisy wake-up in the morning.

• Liked — Convenient to access the GA Tech facilities
  • Disliked — Internet costs $10 a day??
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2008

Have stayed at GT Hotel several times since opening in 2004. Rooms and overall maintenance still excellent. Nice large LCD TV and comfortable beds, good bathroom amenities. The service is very good but not over the top. Location is excellent for midtown, but especially good if you have business at Georgia Tech. Rates are very good and often have specials. Breakfast buffet ($14) is nice. There is a great sports bar and sitting area. Parking adjacent for $10/ day.

• Liked — Location, room quality, overall maintenance
  • Disliked — Paid Internet
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Virginia Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

I was in Atlanta to attend a class at the Georgia Tech Learning Center. The hotel is attached to the Learning Center so it is very convenient. The room was a decent size and the bed was very comfortable. No really special amenities with the room (no MW, no fridge). The wireless worked well, but it wasn't free. The hotel charges $9.95 per day, but if you set it up via the website you get discounts the longer you use it. I didn't find that out until later. The parking was $10 per day or $15 per day with in/out privileges. You may get free parking passes if you have a class. There was also a decent indoor pool.

Georgia Tech is just across the interstate (a bridge crosses the road right next to the hotel).

My really only complaint was the price and extra charges but I guess you are paying for location. Oh and if you want to go anywhere near rush hour expect it to take awhile, traffic is bad.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Extra charge for internet access.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Lawrenceville, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

I stayed at this hotel to attend a conference. The hotel has a great midtown Atlanta location with a Starbucks across the street and plenty of restaurants within walking distance.
The hotel looks brand new and the staff was friendly. I felt this was a good value. Reasonable rates for a 4 star quality hotel in a nice area of the city.

Stayed July 2008

Been to Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!