“Quirky and cool” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lunacy Black Market

Lunacy Black Market
231 Mitchell St. SW, Atlanta, GA (Hills Park)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #597 of 3,430 Restaurants in Atlanta
Cuisines: Tapas
Neighborhood: Hills Park
Neighborhood: Hills Park
“Quirky and cool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Don't come here expecting a "regular" restaurant: it's not. It really is like eating dinner at someone's house, with couches and mismatched tables and chairs. Our server was actually the owner, so we got the inside scoop on the menu, which is written on the back of wine cartons. It's a small plates place meant for grazing. Everything is amazingly cheap, including the wines. Fresh and interesting dishes like sautéed collards in tomato broth, pork rubs with balsamic and mint and the best green beans I've ever eaten. Our bill for two was $60 with a bottle if wine and way too much food for two. We told the owner how much we loved the concept and she said: yes, this is my house and I guess if you don't like it, then you don't have to come! I loved it! Take a taxi after dark, though. The neighborhood seemed a bit dicey, but don't let that keep you from this great place. Good for a date; you can sit next to each other on a couch to eat.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Denver, Colorado
“Seriously????”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I really dont need to type very much here...

1. Service is Lousy. FACT.
2. Atmosphere is odd and dirty. FACT.
3. Food is cheap. Very cheap. FACT.
4. Food is not very good. FACT.

I wasted over an hour of my time in this restaurant because of all the "excellent" reviews. Some of you must have been drunk while eating because nothing that came out of that kitchen was appetizing.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, GA
“Quirky and casual”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

As a native Atlantan I kept hearing about this place from different out-of-town friends so we had to try it. It is not in a part of town we would normally venture, especially after dark, although once there we didn't feel unsafe as part of a group of 6. Street parking could be tricky but we found a spot easily early in the evening. It's is a good idea to go early as when they are full they put a sign on the door, and guests are encouraged to linger. The only option offered to us was "chefs choice" which ended up being somewhat more expensive than if we had ordered directly off the menu -- maybe to discourage "large" groups? The food was good, some unusual dishes and some common things like French fries. This is not the place to go if you are watching your carbs! Overall it was a fun place to go especially if you like to try things off the beaten path. Ideal for old friends that want to have a bite or two, share a bottle of wine and linger in conversation without being rushed.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta
“Odd but Delicious Restaurant downtown!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Food here is exceptional! Ambiance is hip to the point of being odd, but I highly recommend it.
Difficult to find, have to look close as you are driving by.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Montclair, New Jersey
“Lunacy--Genius”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

It's ironic that the tagline of "Lunacy Black Market" is "uninspired cuisine" because the food is everything BUT uninspired!

The dining room is a mix of sofas, chairs, coffee tables and tables arranged in intimate groupings. Everything and I mean everything looks like the owner grabbed the pieces off the curb that was left discarded for trash pick-up and amazingly it all works in the space. I swear I was sitting at a drafting table with my sister and her husband!

But back to the food. It's served tapas style on mismatched plates, chipped on the edges. The menus are hand-written on cardboard, perhaps the boxes the wine's delivered in? Bottles of wine are reasonable. Here's what's good: Tomato & mozzarella (the cheese is homemade and the tomatos are roasted I think), fried cauliflower with herbs that made the dish pop, cabbage salad (I would never think to include basil), sweet potato fries, sauteed collard greens and curried chicken leg.

No doubt it was a soulful meal. Only thing, I wasn't crazy about the chicken, the curry was weak and needed salt but the sauteed collard greens had a touch too much salt. Still ate it all, that's just how my taste buds received it.

We shared a potato tartlett and peanut butter chocolate brownie. The potato tartlett was good, the brownie's edges a tad burnt, the low point of the meal.

Service was provided by a friendly and knowledgable waiter who delivered our check in a book titled "The Call For Something" by Stephen Thomas. There's supposed to be some type of meaning to that but I didn't get it.

The lunacy comes from dining as long as you want, there's no rush. Just chill and enjoy. And the prices...cheap...cheap...cheap!

Go for a different kind of experience. Cool place. Great food.

• Visited May 2013