“Nice hotel/rooms but dirty unheated indoor pool, broken cold jacuzzi, $9 daily parking and expensive incidentals” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Atlanta Airport Hotel

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #101 of 190 Hotels in Atlanta
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

No advance warning of the $9.00 per day parking charge that is added to each room and automatically charged to your credit card. Was not told this until I arrived to check in. This was upsetting considering that I had booked the room in advance and was told that the total I was charged at the time was supposed to include all taxes and fees. It was also upsetting that the price I paid for the room was the deciding factor in where we stayed, even though another hotel that we considered was only @$10.00 per night higher would have been a lot more convenient for us and had free in-room wireless internet and free continental breakfast, which the Sheraton did not have. I was also very disappointed and upset that the indoor pool was not heated and the jacuzzi was only barely lukewarm and the jets did not work. Another of the reasons I chose this hotel versus another was because of the indoor pool for my kids to swim in and the jacuzzi. I have back and neck pain and was looking very forward to sitting in the jacuzzi. The pool was dirty and the jacuzzi was also dirty. After getting in the jacuzzi and discovering that it was barely even lukewarm and the jets didn't work, I called my husband in the room and asked for a front desk number so that I could call instead of having to go the front desk in my wet swimsuit to see if someone could do something to fix the jacuzzi. He called the desk instead. He was told that someone from maintenance would come check on it. About an hour later, no one had come yet. He called again and told the front desk no one had come. They said they would tell maintenance again. Another forty-five minutes later no one had come and he went to the front desk himself and told them that his wife was still in the pool/jacuzzi area waiting for someone to come fix it. He was then told that it would be a week before it would be fixed because a part had to be ordered. It would have been nice if someone would have come in to the pool/jacuzzi room and told me that it would not be fixed for a week. I would not have bothered staying there for two hours, waiting for hot water. It also would have been nice if someone had put a notice on the door to the pool area stating this, since it was evidently already known before I went in there and got in the jacuzzi. I would not have bothered. I feel like I paid for something I wanted very badly and which was a deciding factor in hotel choice but did not get it. Even more upsetting, in light of the fact that you are charged to park in what should be a secure lot, was the fact that we noticed a Mercedes Benz in the parking lot as we were leaving to go home that someone had hit and then apparently left the scene of. There were pieces of the headlights and bumper just laying in the parking lot in front of the car. If people are going to be charged daily to park in a lot, there should at least be a security guard in the parking lot at all times. We were very thankful that did not happen to our vehicle while we were staying there. Hopefully, there was a security camera in the parking lot that recorded what happened so the owner of the vehicle can prosecute. There were also people parking in places in the lot that were not even parking spaces, causing it to be hard to maneuver the aisles if someone was coming toward you from the opposite direction. I have stayed at hotels with free parking for guests that had security guards there at all times. He constantly patrolled the parking garage to make sure guests were obeying all rules for parking and not parking in areas where they were not supposed to or leaving the scene of an accident there. Vending machines and room service are excessively over-priced. Even the two bottles of water in the room that were sitting by the ice bucket had a price tag on them of 4.95 each. This was for maybe a half-liter bottle of Deer Creek water, which is a very low priced water if you buy it at Walmart. I am glad that I looked at the tag on them and saw the very small price of $4.95 on there before someone opened one. The fact that they were in the room when we arrived made it appear that they were complimentary. After seeing that, we were afraid to even use the coffee packs by the coffee pot for fear that we would be charged an excessive amount for them. I examined them closely before using. On a positive note, the room was very quiet especially considering we were by the airport and that there was a beauty pageant at the hotel during our stay and there were lots of children staying there. Never heard them or any airplanes. We were pleased with our room as far as price (booked thru Entertainment.com) of the actual room and the luxury of the hotel. Liked that the cafe and gift shop were open very late, even though a pack of cigarettes in the gift shop was $9.00. Is it really necessary to charge that much? And to charge for wireless internet in the room? If you have it free in the lobby why not in the room?

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Panay, Manager at Sheraton Atlanta Airport Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2010
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review regarding your visit at the Sheraton Gateway Hotel. We do appreciate your positive comments that you were pleased with the great price of your quiet guestroom, our luxurious hotel, as well as our Café and Gift shop. We continually make every effort to maintain our property and attempt to keep all our areas clean and in working order. We apologize that the indoor poor was dirty and the Jacuzzi was not up and running during your stay. I have communicated your issues with our Director of Engineering to ensure that the pool is clean and that proper signage is in place when something is in need of repair so our guests are informed and not inconvenienced. Please also feel assured that the perpetrator responsible for hitting the parked Mercedes was caught by the police and charged. This incident is very rare and corrective measures are in place to prevent something such as this from reoccurring. In regards to the parking and internet charges, we do charge for these services and are considerably lower than the rest of our competition in our area. Again, we thank you for your feedback and sincerely appreciate your patronage. We hope that you choose us again for your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

I served as the event consultant for a large wedding group that selected this venue for their reception host site for 400 guests. The set-up of the event space, the service, the food and presentation for this event was second to none. There were no complaints from my clients or the attendees. Everyone enjoyed the meal. The pre-reception set-up and food was well done and delicious. The solarium space was adequate for the pre-reception and flipped perfectly for the after- glow dance and dessert stations. The entire staff from the parking to the front desk to the servers to the managers all outdid themselves. The Carter & Carter Team is grateful to each team member for helping to make this a grand evening for our clients. The Bride's parents were pleased and indicated to us to pass on to the staff that everything was royal. Some of the guests compared the event to that of Chelsea Clinton’s wedding day. We realize that it took an entire team of willing persons to make this a very special evening for the bride and groom. It was indeed a team effort and everyone on staff at the Sheraton Gateway Atlanta Airport Hotel helped d to make this couple's wedding day dreams come true. We highly recommend this venue as a suitable site for any social event. It is a hidden gem. Carter & Carter Bridals/Event Consultants

• Stayed September 2010
Panay, Manager at Sheraton Atlanta Airport Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2010
Wow! On behalf of the Sheraton Gateway Hotel team, we thank you and Carter & Carter Bridals/Event Consultants who allowed us to host your client’s wedding reception event. You have our sincerest gratitude for your incredible feedback, and especially enjoyed reading that some of the guests compared your clients’ wedding to that of Chelsea Clinton’s wedding. We do have the “best-of-the-best” Associates who consistently go all-out to make every customer event a “royal” and “superb” one, and I am very delighted that they did just that. I have forwarded your wonderful remarks to all our Associates, especially, to our Bellmen/Front Desk Staff and Banquet team who outdid themselves by providing your clients with “second to none” event set-up, delicious food and presentation, as well as extraordinary service. I know they will be very excited to hear that they all contributed in making this affair a “dream come true” for the Bride and Groom! We also appreciate your accolades and your recommending the Sheraton Gateway Hotel for any social functions. We absolutely look forward and will be honored to host any future events that you may have! We promise that they will be just as spectacular!
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

I am a self described "hotel snob." So I was a bit skeptical about staying at this hotel when I read a few of the previous reviews. However, I was pleasantly surprised.

The hotel was pretty full, but the nice front desk agent was able to get me the type of room I wanted.

The room and the bathroom were clean. The furniture was modern enough. There was an HDTV with pretty good cable channels.

But most importantly the bed was comfortable and I slept well. In fact I slept a little later than planned and was granted a late check-out with a simple phone call.

I would recommend this hotel to travelers.

• Stayed September 2010
Panay, Manager at Sheraton Atlanta Airport Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2010
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a “hotel snob”, and we are very happy that we pleasantly surprised you! We are glad that although we were full, our Front Desk agent was able to accommodate and give you the room type that you requested. Our goal is to make all our guests content and comfortable, and we are thrilled that our wonderful beds helped you sleep well, albeit later than you expected :)! Again, we are pleased that we changed your “skepticism” into a positive one, and you would recommend us to other travelers. We thank you and value your patronage, and hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

I recently stayed at the Sheraton Gateway Hotel by the Atlanta GA airport, and was surprise by how nice the place was. The rooms were clean and fresh. I had dinner at the restaurant and the food was very good. I loved the free shuttle to/from the airport, so I was able to go back and forth as needed. Also the location was within a few miles of downtown Atlanta, so I could enjoy some night life in the Atlanta area.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
I was elated to read your wonderful feedback concerning your recent stay at the Sheraton Gateway Hotel! We are glad that you appreciated our clean and fresh guestrooms and had an enjoyable dinner in our 1900 Bar and Grill. Our guests do appreciate the convenience of our free shuttle service to and from the Hartsfield Jackson Airport, and especially that we are so close to all the attractions that Atlanta has to offer. Therefore, I was also pleased to read that you did have some time to experience some of Atlanta’s fun-filled night life. Please come visit us again soon!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

I love this hotel. I was on a random excursion to ATL and this happened to be the hotel I chose since I am an SPG member and there was shuttle service to and from the airport. Dianne (desk clerk) made my experience amazing. She is one of the reasons why I am a loyal guest, upgraded my room, great advice to go to places in the city, huge smiles. The one thing I dislike is the internet charges. The lobby is pretty and bright. The food is the typical overpriced hotel food, but it was not bad. There are no restaurants close by besides Ruby Tuesdays. Jose in the restaurant was great also. He had an amazing personality, extremely outgoing and makes you feel extremely welcomed. If I ever go back to "Hot"lanta, this will be my hotel of choice. The indoor/outdoor pool is very nice also. They just need a bus to more places and maybe into the city?

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Panay, Manager at Sheraton Atlanta Airport Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2010
We are ecstatic that you loved the Sheraton Gateway Hotel! Most importantly, we are thrilled to read your wonderful comments, not only about our hotel, but that Diane, our Front Desk agent, “wowed” you by providing you with exceptional service. It is nice to hear that Diane is one of the reasons why you are a loyal guest! We also appreciate your praises regarding Jose, restaurant server, who also extended to you warm, comforting, connections. All our associates do take pride in providing our guests with outstanding customer service, and we are very proud of Diane and Jose who made your stay extra-special! I will definitely pass on your compliments to them. Please also note that during your next visit, you can catch our complimentary shuttle service to the MARTA train station located at the airport which can take you almost everywhere in Atlanta so you can enjoy our sites, shopping, restaurants, etc. We are definitely looking forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Gateway!
Montauk, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

After a missed connection flight we had to stay at the Sheraton for one night. The front desk was very accommodating. Our first room smelled so bad we had to drag our luggage back down and request another room. The second room wasn't that much better. They definitely have a big mold problem. You can smell it everywhere. I'm glad we only had to stay for the night. Try another hotel if you get stuck at the airport!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Panay, Manager at Sheraton Atlanta Airport Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2010
We were extremely disappointed to read your review regarding your recent stay on Trip Advisor. Please be assured that it is always our goal to have our guests feeling better when they depart than when they arrived, especially if they are passengers that have been misconnected, and this certainly did not occur with your visit. We do take our customers’ feedback very seriously, and I apologize that your rooms had a bad smell. We do continually strive to maintain our property so our guests have a pleasant stay. Please note that we are currently resealing windows over a small portion of our building which had some moisture issues and are pleased to say that this will remedy the situation. These few guestrooms were taken off-market right after your visit so that other guests are not similarly inconvenienced. We hope you will reconsider and stay with us again if your travel plans bring you back to Atlanta... We are certain we can exceed your expectations.
Bloomington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

On a previous visit to this hotel, I encountered a few incidents of bad customer service. I wrote a review about my stay on facebook and was immediately contacted by the hotel manager apologizing about my stay. I blew the apology off as normal protocol for a compliant. I had avoided this hotel for future business and leisure stays while I was the area. A business stay brought me back to this hotel. To say the least, I was not happy. Upon arriving I was greeted by the same manager that responded to my compliant. Ernst (manager) made my colleague and I feel very welcomed along with other staff members like Sherri S. and Ernest (engineer). For the next three days, our stay became the best stay I have encountered with hotel staff and management in the longest time. Way to go Sheraton Gateway Staff!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. I am so ecstatic to read that we restored your faith in us and your recent experience with us was a superb one! We also thank you for noting particular staff members; Ernst (Night Manager), Ernest (Engineering) and Sherri (Housekeeping) who genuinely contributed in making your stay one of BEST you encountered in the longest time! Please feel assured that I have passed your wonderful comments on to them. We look forward to welcoming you and your colleague back in the future for another incredible visit.

Been to Sheraton Atlanta Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!