“Billing Issues but Overall Good Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #98 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
Yalaha, Florida
“Billing Issues but Overall Good Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My recent stay during a convention on Easter Weekend was good. Value (for the convention) is fantastic. We get a reduced room rate with a mandatory one night deposit for the 4 day weekend that all guests are there.

The rooms are nice and open and the beds are comfortable. The bathrooms need a little work. It's very uncomfortable to try and close the door to use the rest room or enter the shower. You must walk in, put yourself between the toilet and the sink and wedge the door closed. If the toilet were positioned differently, it would make things easier.

The hotel itself is clean and open. The restaurant is extremely overpriced for what it sells, but then again, that's most hotel food sources. There is a small cafe as well serving cold salads, sandwiches, sodas, juice and coffee in the lobby. Prices are average and food is acceptable.

The one thing I have the biggest issue with is the fact that there are no stairs that get you from the 3rd floor to the second or first. You must take an elevator to get to either of those floors. Seeing as we were at a convention with close to 2,000 people, elevators were packed and getting from the 3rd to the 2nd floors was sometimes impossible. On more then one occasion, we had to wait thirty minutes to sometimes over an hour to get in the elevator. Multiple times we had to walk from the 3rd floor up to the 10th floor to be able to get on to go back down to the 2nd floor.

There are entirely too few luggage carts for the hotel. While this isn't really an issue most of the time, for big events, it would be wise for the hotel to invest in more luggage carts to move guests with heavy luggage out faster. There are more then enough hotel staff in the loading/unloading area out front to move people in and out. The wait time for some was over an hour to get heavy items downstairs and into their cars.

Upon checkout, we noticed that we were actually charged once for our deposit and then again for the full cost of the room. So we were double charged for one night. This issue was fixed promptly, but is something that shouldn't be overlooked when it's clearly marked on the account when checking in.

I will continue to visit this hotel for the conventions, but I'm not positive that I would go out of my way to stay here just on travel.

Room Tip: Call in and request a room on the "Club level". There are no refrigerators on any of the o...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
dedo48, Director of Front Office at Sheraton Atlanta Airport Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Becca_T_1234,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us.

We are truly saddened to have learnt that we did not exceed your expectations. We will without a doubt revisit the areas you have mention to ensure close attention is paid to these areas of opportunity.

We are delighted to learn that you will visit us again on your next convention and will do all we can to ensure that your next stay is flawless.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and do look forward to welcoming you back real soon.

Director of Front Office

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Greensboro, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is the second time I've stayed at this property, due to an annual convention that's held here. Frankly, I'm quite underwhelmed. The internet, which is free at every other decent hotel in the nation, costs $9.95/day, and couldn't keep up with the demand of a sold-out hotel. There is no free breakfast, not even danishes and coffee. The staff was much less knowledgeable than last year.

One of our party has necessary daily medication that has to be refrigerated close by. I asked about a refrigerator in the room, when I made the reservation, five months in advance. I was told they couldn't guarantee a refrigerator in the room so far ahead, and instructed to call back a few weeks before. I called three weeks before check-in, and was informed to call back the morning of arrival, as we were leaving home. Others attending the convention made me aware that they were already hearing the hotel was out of refrigerators for our convention, so I called the night before. I spoke with Kenyada, who said they couldn't do anything until we got there, the refrigerators were first-come-first-served, regardless of medical necessity, and she thought they were "probably out, anyway."

Of course, I insisted, and they finally took care of the issue, but I had to become practically belligerent, first, which should NEVER be required for something like this.

We arrived at the hotel, and were REQUIRED to use a bellhop, which was provided by an outside contractor, if we were to be allowed the use of a luggage cart.

The bathrooms are tiny, with no exhaust fan, and the room layout is cramped. The beds, which, even in much cheaper hotels are two queens/room, were doubles, instead. There was no microwave or refrigerator standard to the room, which is standard in most decent hotels. The TV was small, and programming was pathetic. Even the cheapest of no-tell-motels offer free HBO. This property doesn't.

Something is obviously wrong, structurally, with the parking garage. The staff only opened up the lowest level to convention attendees, even though the demand was much higher. None of the staff could answer questions about the parking, for which we were supposed to be charged $5.00/day. The parking meter at the exit of the garage doesn't function properly, and the staff standing nearby were clueless about how to make it work.

We were not actually charged for parking or internet, but I believe that is only because I specifically discussed these issues with the desk.

The restaurant is far too expensive for the quality of food served there.

The service, though not very knowledgeable, was friendly, and the rooms were clean. Otherwise, this hotel is a total bust.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
dedo48, Director of Front Office at Sheraton Atlanta Airport Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Becca_T_1234,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us.

We are truly honored by the kind words you have afforded our team.

Word cannot express how deeply saddened we are by the areas of opportunities you have shared. We will without a doubt do all we can to ensure these areas are all immediately corrected.

I have also shared your feedback with the departments that requires attention.

We are truly sorry for the inconvenience you encountered and do look forward to welcoming you back real soon.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

First when we arrived we had reserved a king bed, but they informed us we had to take a double because they had no more kings available. We got into the room and noticed first that there were no trash can liners and that the trash cans were nasty looking and smelling. Also, the room had not been fully cleaned because we found a dirty towel partially behind the dresser and partially out in the open. The hotel resturant was very slow and there was nothing on the menu about drinks and when asked the waiter had no idea. Food quality did not match the price at all, way to expensive for what they serve. There were no stairs to get to lower floor except emergency exit ones that set off an alarm. Also, whoever designed the rooms needs to get a new degree or common sense. The bathroom design actually entire room design is better in most one star hotels. The ONLY upside of this place was that the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Celest83,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us.

We are truly disappointed to learn that your previous experience was far from what you anticipated.

Rest assured knowing that I have shared your feedback with the appropriate department and we will do all we can to regain your confidence to our brand. Here at the Sheraton Gateway Hotel Atlanta, we pride ourselves with an exceptional facility and service; based on your feedback we did not provide you with such.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and do hope you will give us another chance.

Greensboro, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I stayed at this property on 03/16-03/18/2013, on the last day there, I discovered that my car had been broken into. The parking manager, Rohan, informed me that you park on their property at your own risk, although they charge you $12 a day for parking. He was not empathetic at all that my car had been broken into. He also informed me that there were no security cameras in the parking lot and no security. He did not offer anything to accomodate for my loss or to help with the expense of fixing my car. Also, when I arrived in the room, I noticed the comforter was stained, and sheets were also stained, with what looked to be blood. I was very disgusted by my entire experience here. I will never stay her again, NEVER!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
dedo48, Director of Front Office at Sheraton Atlanta Airport Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Ms. Angela T;

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us.

Rest assured knowing that my fundamental goal and objective is to ensure all available resources are utilized to ultimately regain your confidence to our brand.

Ms. T, we are truly saddened by the unfortunate incident that occurred during your last stay with us, regarding your vehicle – words cannot express how deeply sorry we are for what you experienced. Here at the Sheraton Gateway Hotel Atlanta Airport, your safety and well-being is our number one priority - we will without a doubt do all that is necessary to ensure such is maintained and therefore protect you our distinguished guest.

At your convenience, we would really like to discuss in more details the areas of opportunity you mentioned in your posting.

Please feel free to contact us at the hotel as soon as time affords.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you encountered and do hope you will give us another chance.

Buford, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

By business Partner was booked here so I stayed . The Value was not worth the cost and the extra charges now known will exclude me from staying here again. Room was clean but for many reasons I could not get a good nights rest..

Room Tip: Carry ear plugs with you
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
dedo48, Director of Front Office at Sheraton Atlanta Airport Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Mr. Johnlbecker,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us.

After reading your comment, we are truly disappointed to learn that you did not get a good night's sleep. Here at the Sheraton Gateway Hotel Atlanta Airport, we pride ourselves with our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds; we are saddened you did not enjoy it.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you encountered and do hope you will give us another chance.

Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

When I arrived they sent me to a room that had obviously been smoked in AND had an ozone machine in it to correct it, which it didn't. When I called their attention to it, they said they didn't know. Well, of course they KNEW, or they wouldn't have had the ozone machine in there. I was moved to another (similar; no upgrade) room.

ALL rooms are noisy. Doors are 2-3 above the carpet and sound from hall comes in easily. Walls are very thin between rooms, too. Even low-pitched conversations next door are easily heard. Got very little sleep.

Room Tip: ALL rooms I saw have the door problem; I can't think there are ANY quiet rooms.
Dear Dlynnsor,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us.

We are truly saddened to learn that you found our hotel to be noisy and an ozone machine in your room. I will share this feedback with our Director of Engineering and we will do all that is necessary to regain to trust and loyalty.

We sincerely appreciate your feed back and do hope you will give us another chance.

Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed 2 night for business meetings and then flight.
This hotel is 5 min from the airport, parking is $12 a night which I though was a bit pricey since parking across the street is free.
I got a club room - great view, very comfortable bed and room.
Club was very nice.
Staff was amazing and very friendly.

Room Tip: Pay the extra charge to get a club room - its worth it. Airport view is cool and does NOT get nois...
Dear Ohad B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us.

We are truly delighted by the amazing recognition you have afforded our hotel staff.

Rest assured knowing that I will personally share your feedback regarding the parking with the appropriate party and ultimately secure your loyalty to our brand.

We truly appreciate your feedback and do look forward to welcoming you back real soon.

Director of Front Office

Been to Sheraton Atlanta Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!