“Very nice bargain hotel, but be warned” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #83 of 188 hotels in Atlanta
Atlanta
“Very nice bargain hotel, but be warned”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

It has been mentioned many times that the walls in the guestrooms are razor thin. Fortunately, I found this to be the case only on lower floors. I have stayed at this hotel four times over the last three weeks and this last experience has been much more pleasant than prior visits.

I'm not entirely sure what the previous poster is referring to when suggesting this hotel only has eight floors. There are actually twelve floors, with the 11th and 12th floors reserved as Club Level rooms.

During our first visit to the Sheraton Gateway, we stayed on the 10th floor, an SPG level. We suffered through what seemed to be a party in a room down the hall. We politely asked them to be quiet, as it was midnight and they had a constant flow of traffic to and from their room. We finally called down to the front desk, but the noise continued until about 2am. We slept just fine after that point, although they continued to have visitors long after. It is truly amazing to see that people feel like they "own" an entire floor and have no real awareness that they are impeding on others' comfort. Even people from the other wing on this floor were complaining, if that tells you something.

During the above visit, we checked into the hotel and dropped out bags off. We then drove into the city and parked at work then hopped MARTA back to the airport. There was a shuttle ready and waiting when we arrived in the shuttle area. The shuttle was just as convenient and prompt the following morning when we headed back to the airport and flew to DC.

During my second visit, I was put up on the 7th floor. This room had an adjoining room via lockout. Unfortunately, my neighbors in the next room were older women. I believe there were at least four women in a two-bed room. They talked and talked and talked and did not for one minute realize that perhaps they were talking a wee bit too loud. I walked outside and down the hall and was able to hear them well into the distance (down the hall, around the elevator bank). On my way back, I knocked on their door and politely asked them to keep it down. They said "Okay" followed by a few giggles. They continued to talk at the same volume until about 3am, at which time I called down to the front desk to have me moved to a different room. They moved me to the 12th floor (the real "top floor") and I slept peacefully for the remainder of the night. The hotel staffer that assisted me with my move to the 12th floor stated that they had an "African wedding," a couple large family reunions, and a few conventions at the hotel over the last couple weekends and that these crowds were, as he put it, "really loud".

Learning my lesson from the previous stays, I decided that my next stay would be spent on the Club Level. I reserved a room using Starpicks (a $75 rate) and then responded to the reservation offer to upgrade me to Club Level for $10 extra. That was an easy choice and I was upgraded to the 11th floor. Aside from some kids running in the hallway, there was no noise and I never heard my neighbors. This was a very pleasant stay.

In my current stay, this time as an SPG Gold member, I requested a Club Level room as an SPG upgrade. I am once again on the 11th floor (in the same room, no less). Once again, not a peep from my neighbors. I confirmed that I do, in fact, have neighbors in the next room... I was really curious, as it has been very quiet up here.

Nevertheless, if you're going to stay here on a weekend, I would strongly recommend booking a normal room and upgrading for $10 if you are not an SPG Gold or Platinum member. For the sake of peace and quiet, it is worth the extra money. The walls simply do not talk on the Club Level (or I have been blessed with people who understand what it means to be courteous and respectful in a shared, public environment).

Room Tip: If you did not book a Club Floor room, look in your reservation and you should have an upgrade offer...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Panay, Manager at Sheraton Gateway Hotel Atlanta Airport, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
We appreciate your loyalty and patronage here at the Sheraton Gateway Hotel and wonderful rating. Your feedback is also highly regarded as we always use our guest’s comments consistently in our daily operation meetings as a tool for improvement. We thank you for staying with us and look forward to your return visit.

533 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

I stayed here for three nights while on business and found the hotel to be everything I could want for my trip. The company I work for uses this hotel for employees and visitors, so we have a special deal set up. More on that at the end.

The shuttle greeted me on time at the airport, and the driver was great, delivering me to the hotel in under 5 minutes. Check in was perfect as everything was ready and the front desk service was super friendly. The lobby was open and clean, and the elevator door is open and waiting for a guest to walk in.

My room was on the 8th floor, top of the building, and I was on the club level which included access to a nice lounge. This lounge had couches, big screen TV, a stocked fridge, fruit, daily papers and a continental breakfast every morning for club guests.

My room was very comfortable and except for one night with noisy neighbours, the stay was great. Slept very well. Room was clean and did not smell of anything except clean. Nice change.

I always use the fitness centres and this one was pretty good as it had decent treadmills, steppers, bikes, etc., plus they had mats and several weight machines which is always a bonus. The pool is indoor/outdoor and you can swim between both sides. It is directly attached to the fitness centre which makes for a great workout. The pool temperature was also perfect.

I used the restaurant for one lunch and one dinner. Food was good, although a little pricey for quality/quantity. Personal taste I think. The bar in the evening was fairly busy, but had good relaxing areas to sit and talk or read.

Overall a great stay and would stay again. My company package included internet and parking which was great because neither of these are part of the room rate. If you use the internet in your room, it is $10 a day, and the same for parking (I had a car for a few days).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
We are so glad that you had a wonderful stay with us and we cherish your outstanding comments and rating! We cannot wait for your return; hopefully soon!
uxbridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night while waiting for a connecting flight. everything about this hotel was just spot on from airport pickup to checkin to clean room to excellent onsite restaurant and a very good ruby tuesday over the way and great value all round

• Stayed June 2011
We are delighted that you had a very comfortable stay, albeit a little short, and hope that you will choose us when your travels bring you back to Atlanta! We thank you for selecting the Sheraton Gateway Hotel!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

We were in Atlanta for a convention last weekend. The Sheraton Gateway Hotel hosted the event. This was our fifth convention in a different city this year. We needed to make some last minute changes for members of our group. We want to send a big THANK YOU to Connie Garner for expeditiously helping us to resolve our problem. We were then able to have a very relaxing and enjoyable time at the convention. We very much appreciate it when excellent customer service is provided. Thanks again, Connie Garner. We hope the convention will be held at this same hotel next year.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Panay, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Gateway Hotel Atlanta Airport, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
Thank you ever so much for staying with us and we sincerely appreciate the extraordinary accolade extended to Connie Garner. We are proud to have Connie as part of our team and truly hope to welcome you back to the Sheraton Gateway the next time you are in Atlanta. Submitted by: Dedo Dixon, Dir.of Front Office
Melissa, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

The Sheraton Gateway Hotel Atlanta Airport made my last business trip worth writing about. The level of service was outstanding. The location made traveling through the Atlanta Airport area really easy. I found the accommodations to be very neat and clean. Business or pleasure, my next stay in Atlanta will be here.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
We truly appreciate your feedback and most important, we are delighted we were able to create a memorable experience. Please don’t hesitate to look us up the next time you are in Atlanta. We are most honored and forever grateful for your business.
charlottesville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

My connecting flight home from Cancun was cancelled by Delta after postponing it for almost 2 hours. So, at 11pm Delta gave me a hotel voucher and food vouchers for the night until my flight the following day at 3pm.

The Sheraton had a shuttle running to the airport that picked up my son and me. There were about 30 people all in the same situation at the same time all checking in at the same time. Each registration only took a few minutes and one by one we all filed up to out rooms without additional frustration. The desk clerks here are great! Professional and quick....exactly what a tired frustrated traveler needs.

Our room was on the 10th floor and we could see the runway at a slight distance which was fun for my son. Oddly, we didn't hear any jet noise. The room had black-out curtain that kept us in bed until almost 10am (thank goodness!). Our floor was quiet. The room was clean. The beds were comfortable and the sheets crisp...just like i like them. We had a flat screen tv (about 32" would be my guess) and a coffee maker. The bathroom looked like it had been fairly recently remodeled and was clean. It was fairly small and it was akward to close the bathroom door due to the small size. The counter was stone and fixtures were brushed nickel. The shower looked like subway tile but was, in fact ,some kind of plastic wall panel.

We talked to the concierge in the morning and found out check-out was noon but he said we could ask for a late check out of 2pm. Went over to the desk and asked to check out at 1pm...no problem.

We had the breakfast buffet which i thought was overpriced and not very vegetarian-friendly. It was $13/pp which took all our food vouchers. I thought that was a bit steep but hey, i wasn't really paying. The eggs were that slimey buffet style scrambled eggs. The potatos were a bit undercooked. The gravy had sausage and could be vegi if they just left the sausage out. There was fresh fruit (including pineapple & strawberry).

There was a pool and a gym but we didn't use either. The lobby was clean and modern.

Overall, i was pleased with the hotel. I wouldn't choose to stay here for leisure (i grew up an atlanta-native so there would be no need). Considering i was given a delta voucher, i was pleased.

Before my flight home, i talked to some of the other displaced travelers who stayed at other hotels that all sounded pretty rough by comparison. I wondered whether i was given this hotel because i went to the main delta ticket desk at the depature terminal rather than dealing with the gate agents. If that's why i hit the delta hotel jackpot, i suggest doing the extra little bit of walking to get the upgraded accomodations.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a nice view.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
We are filled with joy and most delighted, you enjoyed our warm, connected community. We look forward to welcoming you to the Sheraton Gateway Atlanta airport real soon. Submitted by Dedo Dixon, Dir. of Front Office
Costa Mesa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

I stayed four nights at a La Quinta Inn in Conyers Ga which I thought was better than this resort. The beds were subpar, and breakfast the same. It is of course a nice hotel but nothing out of the ordinary special. I got a good value with my money but I've stayed in nicer hotels. It is clean.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
We are pleased to learn that you found our hotel to be clean and convenient. Our main objective is to provide you with exemplary services – based on your feedback it was just ‘ok’. We sincerely hope you will give us another chance to provide you with top- notch service. Submitted by Dedo Dixon, Dir.of F.O.

Been to Sheraton Gateway Hotel Atlanta Airport? Share your experiences!