“Customer Service Declining” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Kobe Japanese Steakhouse

Kobe Japanese Steakhouse
5600 Roswell Rd. N.E., Atlanta, GA 30342 (Downtown)
(404) 256-0810
Neighborhood: Downtown
Atlanta
“Customer Service Declining”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

We have been to Kobe several times. I will start by saying the filet is honestly the best I have ever had. It literally melts in your mouth. With that being said, I was not impressed with many other things. The rice, not nearly as good as the past. The ginger dressing was missing a major ingredient. Our host was quite rude upon our arrival. The carpeting is now filthy and bunching up. Our hibachi table was cracked. The prices are VERY high and I do not understand the lack of ANY upgrades. The waiting couches have been the same for years! Spend some of that money bringing this restaurant to this century. And to top it off, our chef barely spoke, couldn't do the tricks and just looked annoyed. Overall, will NOT be back :(

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Knoxville, Tennessee
“Excellent steak, kids enjoyed very much.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We had been meaning to go by this restaurant for many years. Usually, however, we take day trips to Atlanta and cannot stay for dinner. Finally, the stars aligned and we went. For starters, the management staff is Japanese and polite and interested in their guests. My kids enjoyed speaking in Japanese to the hostess who was very nice. The rooms are clean and bright and the chefs entertaining and efficient. This was the first time for my kids to see this type of cooking floor show and the chef was fun to watch. I was equally impressed to see how carefully our chef cleaned his grill in preparation for cooking and then after. The steak was very good and I am sure that their meat standards are among the best in Atlanta (Most likely, the best). It was a relaxing environment that allowed our family to talk quite a bit without loud music or distractions. While I would consider going there in any type of situation business or personal, it really shines for the family.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“Fun Hibachi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Kobe was in this location before the whole shopping center was built. It is a survivor and with good reason. The only difference from when it opened is that it is a little more difficult to park outside now, but there is a large multi story car park within a two minute walk.

We went there for a birthday. We did not tell them in advance but our guilty conspiratorial smiles gave it away. I mention this because they took a photograph and then to our surprise , digitally imposed it on to a cake which they presented after dinner with a chorus of happy Birthday.

The menu is what you would expect with the normal combinations of steak, chicken shrimp and so on. The set meal is formulaic and the chef entertains with volcanic onions, catching shrimp heads in his hat and other little jokes. There is a nice bar where you can have a drink in advance of the meal and also some private rooms for more expansive entertaining. When you go through to eat, you are sat around a grill and thus have the 'benefit' of getting to share the experience with other patrons. I think that most people are pretty friendly and don't see that as a big disadvantage.

The food itself is very good for a Hibachi grill and of course the fried rice is an essential extra for myself, although my wife has a steamed preference and that is included in the price.
There is a variety of sake and beer available and a tolerable selection of mass market wines for those that prefer the grape.

It is a fun night out with decent food. I deem it very good on the scale of Hibachi restaurants but don't seriously compare it to other more upmarket restaurants that I have rated very good.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Savannah, Georgia
“It was just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We had a hibachi-style dinner at Kobe Japanese restaurant. I thought it was a little over priced for the small portions. We all enjoyed our food. The atmosphere is a little dated and lacks ambiance. I did not notice any background music either, so it kind of seemed to be lacking (not to be too mystical here) in positive energy. My wife was disappointed that they apprarently do not offer sushi.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“A family tradition”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Ever since our sons were young, we have celebrated birthdays at Kobe. The food is good and the "show" is always fun!

Visited October 2012