“Perfect getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #57 of 190 Hotels in Atlanta
Toronto, Canada
“Perfect getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Everything about our stay here was great: the clean and bright room, the good bedding, the room layout, the breakfast, the decor, and the friendly staff. This is also a quiet location and a well-built hotel, so there is no noise from outside or inside to disturb you.

The hotel is in a nice and safe neighbourhood, 5 minutes' walk from MARTA, and close to some good restaurants.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I visited this hotel for the annual bronner bros hair show. I was very skeptical by the past reviews BUT the common thing said was that there were renovating. Thankfully, they finished renovating & it's beautiful and refreshing. I flew in from nc & the front desk lady helped me take the Marta from the airport to the hotel(only $3) versus $30-$40 for a taxi. I went to the atlantic station shopping & it's less than half a mile away(they have a FREE shuttle at the Marta station by bus #37). My studio suite was very nice and everyone that visited, commented on it. It's also in a pretty safe area(midtown) & about 10-15 mins from downtown. There is also a arts center very close. Overall I really enjoyed my stay and I will definitely be back. Keep up the good work guys and thanks again!

• Stayed February 2014
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

We visited during February 2014 for three nights. The hotel had just been renovated and was beautiful. The new decor is sleek and fresh. Our room, kitchen and bathroom were super clean. The mattress and linens were great. The appliances in kitchen were brand new. The breakfast area and food were great. The staff were very friendly. It's close to a Marta station on a quiet street. Fifteen minutes from downtown or buck head by Marta. There weren't many close shops or restaurants, but we were happy for the quiet After some previous reviews, I was nervous. But can now totally recommend this small efficient hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
McDonough, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

First and foremost: beware of the mandatory $28 valet parking fee!!!! You have no other options but to be forced to park via valet.

Second, we had a two-room suite with a kitchenette and enjoyed it 100%! Microwave and full fridge. Two huge flat panel tvs.

Breakfast was awesome!!! They kept it stocked and the buffet and table areas were always clean.

Front desk staff was very nice and friendly.

Power went out several times during the morning of checkout.

Stay again? Maybe not, because of the forced valet parking. Otherwise, it would be a definite yes.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Long time, loyal Marriott customers here. Gold member, have the credit card loyal customers. Hotels like this one are making us rethink that loyalty.

This was our third stay in this location, we travel to Atlanta at least once a year to visit and enjoy our favorite city in the South. The other two visits to this hotel were a couple years back, after the last renovation. Both those visits were lovely, and made us want to return. The hotel is currently undergoing another renovation. As you read this review, keep in mind that we stayed in one of the *completed* rooms, on a floor that was already done and a couple floors up from the active (and way behind schedule) construction on the lobby level.

Where to begin.

When I say our room was completed, I mean by the hotel's standards. It's certainly not what we would call a proper renovation. First, it wasn't done. There are numerous items a quick walk through would catch and add to the most basic of completion punch lists: Missing finish plates on fixtures and sprinklers, places that had fixtures switched out that were not patched and painted, dried caulk splattered all over the shower walls, flooring not cut properly so that subflooring was visible, that sort of thing. Every room of our two bedroom suite had several items that needed completing.

Then there was all the stuff that was just bad. Two of the three televisions in the two bedroom suite didn't work properly, the cable was wonky, the water in the showers never got above lukewarm, the HVAC unit didn't evenly control the suite temperature (even with all the doors open). The microwave was old and damaged (scorch marks inside the door), the stove was as well. The dishwasher was this cheap, loud thing. They must use them in all the rooms, we could hear the one in the room above us *loud* and clear when they turned it on. Lots of other moderately damaged items that should have been replaced but were not, the photo is of one of the bathroom doors. Yes, it's nearly split through, so much so that it did not close properly. They just tried to paint over the crack and left it.

Staff ranged from decent to indifferent to hostile. There were several very nice people, including the woman managing the breakfast area. But several of the valets (you *have* to valet park here) were pushy and rude, and the evening desk clerk was bite-your-head-off snappy with us, for no reason that we could determine. The cleaning staff obviously does not care. I cleaned one of the showers myself after asking for a reclean, there was soap and shampoo scum all over the walls. The kitchen area was icky (the sink) to outright nasty (the floor) with old food and trash visible in the large (easily cleanable with a broom large) gap between the stove and counters. This was not construction nearby dirty. This was staff doesn't care and hasn't for a long time dirty.

Once again I remind you that this was a renovated room, not an old room. There was simply no excuse for the condition of the room we stayed in.

We considered finding another hotel, even though it would mean being out in the suburbs and away from the things we came to see. If we were staying more than a couple days, we probably would have moved. As it is, we will definitely not be staying at this location again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
richmond, va
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

This was my second stay at this hotel. The first time it was much cleaner, but they hadn't started the renovations yet. The staff is friendly. I had a very large 2 bedroom suite, but the toilet in one of them kept flushing itself and didn't look very clean in the bowl. This room seemed to be more worn than the room I was in the previous stay. The social each night had pretty decent food. Once the renovation is complete, I'm sure it will be very nice. This hotel is in a good location and close enough to my office to walk.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Good location for convenience purposes for the conference I was attending. However no where convenient for walking distance to find food. Upon check in I asked for an upgrade as a gold member which normally is a no brainer. I was told that there was no availability and that there was construction so 2 floors were out of service. Later in the evening I looked online to check the availability at the hotel and there were several upgrades available....so the credibility of the woman checking me in went completely out the window. I asked for a high floor with a good view and got the 4th floor with a brick wall (offices) view.

I was given a queen suite which was in plain english "Beat up." I know they're sprucing things up in the hotel, but it's almost embarrassing to see the conditions of the rooms. The size is nice, not much else. The windows don't open so it was musty smelling, and the furniture was worn. The blankets on the bed looked like they were from the 1950's. It just didn't "feel" clean.

The breakfast was ok, but it was in some big community room...not at all warm or friendly. In returning at the end of the day there were several people playing cards and drinking beer (beer cans all over) in the same room...not a great place for kids to walk through.

The staff overall was friendly....certainly won't be returning.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Residence Inn Atlanta Midtown / 17th Street? Share your experiences!