“Friendly and helpful staff, good location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #56 of 190 Hotels in Atlanta
Auckland
“Friendly and helpful staff, good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed here for 6 weeks in July and August this year. Our room was a one bedroom suite with kitchen facility.

The hotel is located in Midtown, 1 block away from Art Center MARTA station that goes straight to airport. It's steps away from a public library, and diagonally opposite the High Museum of Art. Lenox Mall and Dunwoody Mall are two / four MARTA stops away, which means this hotel is at a surprisingly walkable location.

Room is clean well by the housekeeping staff, but the carpet is not consistently clean. Let me explain: they require to do some maintenance in our first room (carpet is ok), so we moved to a second room. I requested to move out of the second room after the second night because we found our feet blackened by the carpet. The third room carpet is merely ok but I did not request further change since it was towards the end of our stay.

Hotel facility was very good, with everything you'd expect for a 3 star hotel and more, eg. A small gym, free wifi, guest laundry, week day social evenings and valet parking. However, there's no self parking which makes it quite inconvenient or expensive for long stayers. Breakfast is good on weekdays ( cereal selection, fruits, dairy, hot breakfast, bread, drinks), but often run out on weekends when there are influxes of weekend guests.

Staff are friendly and helpful with our needs during our relatively long stay. The reception, breakfast and housekeeping staff had all showed us the Southern hospitality by making us feel so welcomed. A housekeeping staff, Yolanda, was particularly helpful to make sure our room was clean and comfortable (bar the carpet which she couldn't do much about).

Some things need attention in this hotel, but I was expected to see them in extreme details after such a long stay. The final word is: I'd stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Scarborough, Tobago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

The hotel is not bad. What sets this location apart form anything else is the attitude of the staff. They are all friendly and helpful. Really great people work here and they seem very proud to be there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in july 2012, had a great experience with the front desk and the room is nice and updated. I was able to get early check in and my room was clean and ready. Additionally, this location is great because you're in the heart of midtown minutes away from Atlantic Station and plenty of bars and restaurants. The only negatives about the place are that the area where breakfast is served is very small, and it seems no matter what time you arrive its packed. Additionally, the parking is paid valet and runs $22/day. However, I was able to find parking on the street and there were several cheaper lots on the block, so I would recommend saving the money and parking elsewhere. Otherwise I had a pleasant stay and would definitely go back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Heathrow, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We stayed here on our way home from Savannah and had a very nice clean and spacious room. The service was great and everyone we encountered was very friendly. There was a continental breakfast provided and it was good.There are also restaurants near by and we walked to dinner the night we arrived with no issues.

Room Tip: We were in an end unit, and had no noise issues. Our room was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Ellijay Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Arrived on a Sunday and checked in at 4pm prompt. Valet parking is $22.00 which I found a little steep....but...i am here for a shopping trip and it has suited me well. Conveniently located between Atlantic Station and Trader Joe's on Monroe with a full size fridge and freezer to store the items I purchased before heading the hour home (Ellijay, Ga). I enjoyed watching the women's gymnastic finals on the tv in the workout room- I'd like to think I was inspired and worked out a little longer than normal :) I am down in midtown often and while I found this hotel on Priceline I found I got an exceptional deal at a very nice and clean hotel....I certainly got my moneys worth and will definitely stay again :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
charlotte, nc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

We came to Atlanta for the weekend and to attend a Yankees vs. Braves baseball game. We have previously stayed at the Residence Inn Downtown but wanted to try a different location, one that was closer to restaurants, bars and activity. We stayed one night June 9, we were booked for three nights but switched to Marriot Suites the next day. The location was a little disappointing as many have written about all the things that were nearby. Saturday the streets were prettymuch dead, the restaurants and shops were all closed. The hotel is right next door to a banking building which was also closed. Sunday morning the nearest breakfast spot was 5 blocks away. Atlantic Station was about 5 blocks as well, ok to walk in the daylightbut not at night. Check in was quick without any issues. Henry at the desk was very friendly, polite and professional. Cannot say the same about the manager, who was also present at check in. Prior to our arrival, my husband left 2 voice messages and oneemail for the her and never received a response.

The hotel is somewhat dark and a little depressing. You can here the staff shouting and laughing when you wait for the elevators on the parking deck level. The room was ok, showing a little age. There are no king size beds in the hotelat all. The bathtub was chipped and stained. We did appreciate the full size refrigerator and microwave. The flat screen TV and free Wi-Fi was a plus. Breakfast Sunday morning was unbelievably bad. There was a long line for what we think was hot food andpeople were walking in between the line to get this or that in the very small kitchen area. There was no organization, seemed like a high school cafeteria. After a 20 minute wait and still no food we left.

I think the nicest people were the valets, my husband dropped the keys down the elevator staff and the valets were extremely helpful and quickly resolved the issue. That being said we decided to transfer to the Marriot Suites and had acompletely different experience for the rest of our stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Booked through priceline and although a decent deal the $22 parking is a little stiff. Stayed the previous couple of days in Decatur at a Courtyard and it was a much better option with great restaurants within walking distance, farmers markets, the marta, a nice hotel, and a great staff.

Tried to get a early check in and was told could not check in until 4pm. Not a problem so I asked if they could call me if a room opens up sooner. I called back at 2pm to find a room was available. When I arrived I asked the front desk person why she didn't call and she said it she was on lunch at the time. This was one of the many times that the front desk looked like the guests were interrupting their day and conversations. The room they gave me was not done so after lugging my luggage up there I went back and asked for a different room. The one they gave me had a runny faucet and a toliet that didn't flush. Instead of going back to deal with the front desk I waited until later for a shift change. The gentleman at that time moved me to a 1 bedroom suite with is basically the same as the regular rooms except with a wall, door, and extra tv. Nice gesture though. The rooms are your normal residence inn rooms. The only question I have is why all marriotts have these soft pillows.

Anyway, never were we greeted upon entering hotel morning or night. The only person who had any customer service skills was the valet.

I would recommend this hotel only if you need to be in this midtown area but if visiting Atlanta go to Decatur to stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn Atlanta Midtown / 17th Street? Share your experiences!