“GREAT CHOICE!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #68 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
OKC
“GREAT CHOICE!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

Our stay here was for two nights...1 of them free b/c my son in law had a free night with his points. Our party consisted of me, my daughter and son in law and their two small children ages 2 1/2 & 7 months.

We were there for the America's Got Talent auditions. We couldn't decide on this hotel or the Hampton Inn and had a reservation at both prior too. Actually we had a reservation at Days Inn also but after reading the reviews on here about it, canceled it quickly.

This was the first time I had stayed at a Hyatt Place but my daughter and son in law had actually stayed at this hotel before. We were so glad we chose to stay at Hyatt Place because it wasn't just a hotel room. With small children you really need more space. And although these rooms weren't huge or anything, it still worked out great.

I slept on the sofa which wasn't too bad and it was petitioned off from the beds. It was not a pull out sofa but an L shaped sofa and had like an ottoman too so gave more room. In addition to the vanity area near the bathroom, there was also a big mirror and counter space in another area which worked out well while we got ready so we weren't so crowded. No sink there but still was a nice area. It's were the coffee pot and refrigerator were. Also it's important to me to not have the sink/vanity area in the same room as the toilet/shower, therefore making it easier to get ready while someone else showers. Had that. I might add that we had a pack n play for the baby that they had for no charge which worked out great! We actually had one packed and ready to bring but we had SO much stuff, so we called and they said they had one, so it freed up some space in our van which helped tremendously!

Even though it was nothing fancy, I loved the shower. Curved shower rod, good pressure and enough hot water for all of us, and there was a ledge with a window to put your shampoo's, etc and it didn't get all wet. Loved that! And...I LOVED the towels!! Again nothing fancy or luxurious, but VERY soft. Lighting was good too! May sound crazy, but these are all things that are important to me when staying at a hotel. And things that I look for in reviews as well.

The complimentary breakfast was good (if you like continental style), but hey it was free so that is a plus and a decision maker when choosing a hotel. They had fruit, yogurt, cereal, bread, oatmeal packets, english muffin (with a toaster), pastries, juices, milk, GOOD coffee and it was hot and that's important to me too. Not sure what else they offered, but a pretty good selection. I think they served til 10am and took it right up at that time. They also offer deli type food in another area but it is not free.

The only thing that I would say is a con here is the parking fee of $22 per night. It is underground and there is security camera. But in DT area's I know this is common and all the DT hotels had a charge. Some more, some less. You didn't have to pay it if you didn't want to, but then you had to find parking somewhere else, streets, etc and not being familiar with the area we chose to pay.

We were able to walk to America's Mart which is where our event was held. When choosing a hotel we took that into consideration (how far it was). It was approx 3 blocks or so, but didn't realize it was hilly. Was pushing a double stroller up the hills and it gave us a good workout! We also walked to Hard Rock that evening to eat and it was a little closer. Not that it matters but the weather that weekend, in Feb mind you, was AWESOME! GOD provided us with bountiful sunshine, light winds and temps in the 70's. It was great! A few days prior I had been watching the weather and it was calling for some rain, so we were thrilled!

On Sunday after we checked out, we drove over to the Aquarium. This place is awesome and a must to see while in Atlanta. And it was just a few blocks from the hotel.

This hotel does offer a shuttle to anywhere within I think a 3 mile radius. But we wasn't sure about using it because the kids wouldn't have their car seats. Although ee did wind up using it once after our auditions because it was late and had gotten a lot cooler after the sun went down and we didn't have jackets for the kids. We just prayed we didn't have an accident...and we didn't! We called the number they gave us for their shuttle driver (actually it was a passenger van) and he said it would take about 15 to 20 mins. We were SO tired from being there all day (10 hrs with two small kids), but then he called me back in about 10 mins and said he was there so it worked out well. Thank GOD for that shuttle.

Anyways...I'm sure I have left off some things, but over all I would recommend this hotel if your in the DT area of Atlanta. It was clean, safe, comfortable, large flat screen TV, the staff was friendly, good location, All good. I'm sure you will enjoy.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

We stayed at the Hyatt Place on a Saturday night in December to see "The Nutcracker" at the Fox Theater. The staff was gracious and welcoming, and always had a big smile. They offered directions and suggestions, and were eager to help in any way. The room was larger than I expected, and even though the bathroom was small, who cares? It's a bathroom. Our teenage daughter slept on the sofa-bed and she found it comfortable. Our bed was heaven! The most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept on, and I'm very picky about hotels since I travel a lot for business. This was also a very quiet hotel. We were on the fifth floor, overlooking the roof of a nearby building, and all we heard were the usual city noises you'd hear anywhere - the occasional horn or siren out on the street. No noise from other rooms or the hallway. Breakfast was free, except for hot items, which were priced fairly in comparison to other hotels in large cities. The food was good as was the service. We had no issues with the gated parking lot. I felt safe and secure there. You pay for parking here ($22) the same as the other hotels in the area. For the room price, you can't beat this place.

Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2009

When I first walk into the Hyatt Place, Downtown Atlanta I thought to myself, "Did I just walk into a Howard Johnson's?", but it was 1:30 a.m., I had just flown in from CA, I was tired and I was not about to find another place to stay. I figured that it couldn't be worse than last week's hotel (see Hard Rock Hotel in Catoosa, OK), sucked it up and checked in.

OMG!! Tabitha, the night person, was simply amazing. She was friendly, warm, welcoming & efficient. So Great!!! I got to my room & found it to be HUGE, clean and comfortable. The only downsides were the bathroom (it was small... but who spends a lot of time in there?) and no internet access in the room (but I have a wireless card for that).

In the morning, there was a good selection of breakfast items, the staff was friendly & the eating areas were always clean. The shuttle was readily available (the wait time was minimal) and the drivers were all very nice. When I would return in the evening, the night staff would great me with a hello and a smile.

There is the great, not so little bar, right next door, Barley's. The food was good, the wait staff was welcoming & fun. Each night had its own theme. Wednesday night was open mic night. Let me tell you... Atlanta has some talent!! Thursday was kareoke... FUN!!!

I work for a non-profit agency and when I travel, I am required to stay within GSA limits. With this limitation, I have stayed in some dumps. By far.... the Hyatt Place, Downtown Atlanta was the best place I've stayed in 2009 while on business travel.

Don't even hesitate!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Washington, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

I booked a stay here using my hyatt points and I'm really glad I did. From the moment of arrival staff were friendly and courteous, anything I asked was not too much trouble. They fixed me something to eat when it was late and the food was good quality. The breakfast the next morning was plentiful, fruit, yoghurts, toast, cereal etc and you could take this back up to your suite.

Talking of the suites they were a great size, very comfortable - the only snag was that the interactive service on my tv was not working properly. Anyway, there was free wifi and two computers in the lobby area with internet access. Again, staff were really friendly and when I spotted the manager, I offered her some feedback that I was thrilled with my stay. This Hyatt Place out does a lot of more upscale hotels I have stayed in.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

I was a little surprised to see that this hotel was ranked 111 out of 220 hotels in Atlanta. It's a standard Hyatt Place hotel - nice bed, big TV, free just OK breakfast, and a block or two from the big hotel chains. Unless you spend a lot of time in the bathroom, I can't understand why everyone is focusing on the small lavatories. It was fine with me. The staff couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful, there's a shuttle to take you around the area, and it's 3 blocks from the subway. I have no complaints about this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Weaverville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

I've stayed in 3 other Hyatt Place properties and really like them. I was dismayed at how small the bathroom was on this property. Room however was very nice and spacious. Perfect when traveling w/ child(ren). Adequate breakfast, though some proteins would be nice. Outside could use some sprucing up.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Birmingham, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

Spell Check Your Text
Language: English (change)

I stayed at this place in the winter while attending a wedding downtown, as it was one of the hotels recommended for the wedding party. Now I wish I had chosen any of the other recommended hotels over this one.

The staff is fine, pretty friendly and helpful. Our rooms were ready and clean when we arrived. The rooms themselves are nice enough, very cool modern decor, comfortable bed, great TV, the wifi worked well, and we loved the divider with the big couch on the other side. The bathroom is tiny, totally bare and has only a teeny shower stall and toilet. Sink is outside. After seeing the room we thought we'd love the place, and did until later that night. First of all the parking choices are a very small gated lot beside the hotel, or a parking garage several blocks around the corner. Hhalf the time the garage gate wouldn't open anyway. We had to drive back around to the hotel and run in the lobby to find out where else to park, which was inconvenient anyway they lock the doors after a certain area and do not give guests any sort of code or pass to get in. You have to just stand around (outside at night in downtown Atlanta) until you catch a staff member's attention so they can let you in. The hotel got REALLY bad late at night. They need to mention on their website that they are located right between big bars that play very loud music until 2 or 3 AM. When the booming music finally lets up you get to listen to all the bar patrons scream and holler while they go to their cars, since the hotel shares parking with the bars and it is right under the rooms. I know the noisy bars aren't the hotel's fault but it made the stay extremely unpleasant. And it's not like you can asked to be move to the other side of the hotel, the noise is on all sides. Not recommended.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Place Atlanta/Downtown? Share your experiences!