“Worst Hilton Experience I Have Had” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Staycation from $84!
Ranked #94 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
Toronto
“Worst Hilton Experience I Have Had”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

I regularly stay at Hilton Hotels and normally am pleased with the experience. The service at this hotel was horrible.

We booked a non-smoking room and when we checked into our room it smelled of cigarette smoke and had an ashtray with matches. The desk attendant apologized and said that on the system it was listed as non-smoking even though it is on the smoking floor. She provided us with another room. We proceeded to the room, opened the door and heard a scream- the room had been given to someone else and she was changing as we entered the room. We then got a third room but when we tried to use the key, she hadn't coded the card and we couldn't get in the room. We finally got in the room but it was again a smoking room. Exhausted at this point we kept the room because the smell was tolerable. However, during the evening our neighbours started smoking and the smell quickly filled up our room from under the adjoining door.

The hotel itself is old, rundown and is in need of a facelift. This is the worst Hilton I have stayed in.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
Johnson City, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

This hotel has every opportunity to be first-class and squanders it. Our first clue that we would spend a lot of time waiting during our stay was check-in, which took over twenty minutes. We were a group of eleven with three rooms, all of which were on the same credit card, so I'm not sure what took so long considering we were the only people in line at the time.

Most of the staff barely spoke English. Although they were often eager to offer assistance, the information they gave was usually wrong. Even something as simple as, "Where's the nearest coffee shop?" would garner an answer like, "Oh, about six miles away." Later we would discover a Starbuck's within two blocks. Thank God for GPS.

The rooms had few amenities. No microwave, no mini-fridge, and a two-cup coffee maker. The TV, while huge, had been modified to prevent any sort of hook-up with our DVD player to force you to pay $16 for a rental from their service. Breakfast is not included, and if you want half a grapefruit it'll cost you $6. You might think I'm joking, but no. Hilton is only interested in customers who are living off of their corporate accounts without accountability. Even wi-fi in your room will cost you $13/day.

There's a big pool, but it's not heated and even though the day was warm (80's) getting in was like swimming on a glacier. My three children had a horrible skin rash afterwards due to faulty chemical balances. It kept them awake all night, which was already a problem due to the 1) extremely loud conference attendees on our floor and 2) awfully uncomfortable beds.

Speaking of conferences, there were two separate conferences during the weekend of our stay. With about 3,000 attendees you'd think the hotel would make sure all the elevators were operational. No. Two never opened at all. Two became top-floor-and-lobby-only after 5 p.m. The other four were so packed that I became intimately acquainted with the bodies of total strangers on more than one occasion. This was after waiting for twenty minutes for an elevator to open on the Lobby level at all (both the conferences were on the second floor so the elevators were kept busy between that level and the rooms levels). In case you think I was just being lazy, our room was on the 20th floor and that's hardly doable with a toddler in a stroller--or out of one, for that matter.

The staff weren't very communicative. On our third night we asked if our rooms could be transferred to adjoining rooms. They said, sure! And took about fifteen minutes on the computer to clear it. At the last minute, one of our party said, "Hey, you're not going to charge us the $75 early check-out fee, are you?" Well, yes, as a matter of fact they were, even though we WEREN'T CHECKING OUT. We just wanted to switch to rooms that were connected! It didn't matter, but they weren't going to tell us and not everyone has an extra $75 to drop on an incidental. I guess the downtown Atlanta Hilton is only interested in the sort of customer who does.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
pace,fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

The hotel is undergoing construction, all of the rooms are done they are just finishing up the front entrance.. so you have to do a little bit of waking around but its worth it. The rooms are amazing gorgeous views, wonderful linens, black granite counter tops in room and bathroom, and great flat screen tv. TRADER VIC'S IS AMAZING. ENOUGH SAID. THE BEST FOOD EVER. And the evelyn and crabtree products are the best. housekeeping will clean your room the entire time your there top to bottom and replace any produts used the entire time your there. Everytime we called down for something it was up within 5 minutes no request was too much they waited on my family and i hand and foot practically. There are drawbacks. The parking garage is for vehicles smalled than 6" , they only have 3 sets of elevators for a 29 floor hotel so you play the waiting game and there are still some renovations going on and the internet is not free but other than that its totally worth it.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
charlotte, nc
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2009

This hotel has every opportunity to be a solid location in a fantastic city; but the front desk service will keep that from happening. When we arrived to check in to our ten rooms, we were delighted to be able to check in a bit early. Quickly, however, we were disappointed that what we were told ahead of time wasn't possible. They do not offer cots in any rooms that are not suites. They certainly could change our accommodations for an extra $100 per room per night. The website states a $24 valet parking, but our 15 passenger vans were $30 each (without discussion). Though we had prepaid for the ten rooms with school credit card, they could not check us in without swiping the card or receiving a fax from the school with approval. An hour later, we had to use our personal credit cards to get into the rooms. Eventually, the hotel said they received the fax (though our office had stamped times of forty minutes into our waiting time) and switched the holding card to the school card.
There is no free Internet connection in the room; and according to the front desk, even if you put a "do not charge anything to this account" for incidentals, the Internet will still incur a charge... it "slips by."
We stayed during a very rainy week and I misplaced my umbrella while our group was moved from one waiting area to the lobby. The next morning, in thirty minutes, I talked to three different people at the Bell Captain's desk, having to re-explain my request for lost and found. I was told twice that the only person with a key to the lost and found had left the hotel (at 9 AM) for a few minutes. The third young man, who was trying his hardest to accommodate me, was receiving attitude from the security officer he contacted directly. The bellman apologized for calling "his direct line, though the matter was time sensitive" ; and he asked the officer if he could "see the young lady at his desk" obviously having to move someone to help me. Ultimately I found my umbrella behind the front desk (no one had taken it to lost and found).
The room was very nice and the bed was comfy, but for $180/night it was a hassle. The front desk male was pleasant as he continued to tell us no; but the female was not even pleasant. She kept wanting us to move aside (though no one was behind us).
Housekeeping was knocking on the doors in our hall at 7 AM.
The amenities available all come at a hefty and literal charge.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

I booked the room through a discount site and got a great deal at a third of the price they usually go for. Check-in was fast and Ivan was very friendly and helpful. The concierge was also efficient and friendly in getting Georgia Aquarium tickets for us. The room was immaculate with very nice decor. The AC worked fine although I don't think the thermaostat was exact, we turned it down a few degrees cooler than we normally would and were very comfortable. The beds both had 4 down pillows and a down comforter. The beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was nice and the shower had plentiful hot water and nice massage like shower head. I was expecting a lot of nasty construction but it was not an inconvenience at all. There were at least 6 working elevators to guest rooms, maybe 8. My only complaint was the parking fee, we paid $17 a day for self-parking. I guess this is probably the norm at most downtown hotels though.
The hotel is in a great location. It is convenient to Interstate 75/85. It is within 10 minutes easy and safe walking distance to Georgia Aquarium, Centennial Park, CNN Headquarters, World of Coca-Cola, and Phillips Arena. The walk is a little hilly but enjoyable. The Varsity and Georgia Tech are a couple minutes drive, as well as the Martin Luther King Center. Freedom Parkway easily takes you to Fernbank and the Carter center.
I was expecting messy construction and an older room based on reviews and the $64 dollar price I paid, but we were very happy with our experience and I would recommend the Hilton to anyone visiting Atlanta.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
stuart florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

Just got back from a weekend Musical Theater International Festival. This hotel was a real nightmare!!! Freezing drafts everywhere and jack hammers pounding away all day long. The staff at night was terrible. They didn't even know they were having 2,000 people come in for our conference. No one was out side to tell us they had moved the entrance to the hotel. It was horrible walking up a hill with our luggage at midnight at 12 degrees trying to get into the hotel. Once we got in, the staff barely spoke English and had little concern about being helpful. They didn't even welcome us to the hotel! I would skip this one for sure and check into the absolutely beautiful Marriott Marquis right across the street. We were overcharged for our room because our friends checked in the same night, got an identical room and were charged $30 less. When we complained, the hotel manager refused to help at all. We will NEVER stay at a Hilton again. They should close this one until they are ready to provide some comfort and hospitality

• Liked — meeting rooms convenient to hotel rooms
  • Disliked — construction, noise, freeezing drafts everywhere, this place is just a MESS
  • Stayed January 2009
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Orleans
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

We just stayed at the Atlanta Hilton on New Years Eve to attend the Chick Fil A Bowl with the LSU team. This was the "team" hotel and I actually felt bad for the players. The hotel is mid renovation and everything is chaotic. When we checked in, we were told that the executive level was full (even though I am a Hilton Diamond Member). I then asked for access to the executive lounge and was immediatly told no. I had to inform the front desk attendant that as a Diamond member I am entitled to access of the executive lounge even if there are not rooms to upgrade to. She began to argue with my wife and I and we asked for her supervisor. She left the desk and came back only to say that her supervisor was not in. Upon additional prodding, she finally called the executive lounge and spoke with the manager who told her to give us access to the lounge. We proceeded to the elevators to go up to our room only to wait 10 minutes for an elevator to take us to the 20th floor. The areas outside the elevators were also under construction and in need of renovation. Our room was actually renovated and was quite nice. The king bed appeared to be relatively new, as did the furnishings and bathroom. It was quite modern and suprisingly much nicer than the lobby area or the elevator area. We then proceeded up to the executive lounge to have cocktails. The manager was working as the bar tender and he informed me that he really didn't know how to mix drinks. This became apparant as he was measuring a true 1 oz pour and saying that was the amount to have in the cocktail (and charging $8.50 for it). You can only imagine what a 1 oz pour looks like in a cocktail in a rocks glass. When I saw this I ordered a double and must say I was shocked when my bill was $34.00 plus tax and tip for two drinks (one jack and diet coke and another vodka and tonic). The lounge was nice and comfortable though and we were able to have appetizers and breakfast there the next day. All in all, the Hilton Downtown is a very old and tired hotel (appears built in the 70s). Maybe the renovations will improve the hotel, but some real staff training needs to go on here. The check in staff was rude and not aware of Hilton policies. The executive lounge needs to get a bartender who actually can make a drink. The elevators are very slow coming and you need to plan to leave your room well in advance of wanting to be in the lobby. I would not really want to stay here and have to work out of this hotel with all of the renovations going on though. Maybe when it is completed things will improve.

• Liked — the location in downtown
  • Disliked — the rude check in staff and the renovations going on all around
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton Atlanta? Share your experiences!