“Past Prime” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #94 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
Annapolis, MD
“Past Prime”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2008

I was at this hotel for a conference this past weekend and was terribly dissappointed with the property.

Check in went fine. Room Service food was fair, though they forgot my coleslaw with my first meal. The temperature of the room was frigid, I had to crank up the thermostat to 79 to take the chill out of the air.

Meeting in the conference area was ridiculously cold and drafty. Apparently renovations caused problems with the system.

Overall the hotel just looked poor. Water damage on ceilings, poor paint jobs, general "shabiness".

Fitness Center was TINY. 4 bikes I think and maybe 8 treadmills/ellipse machines.

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — The cleanliness
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Glastonbury, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

I stayed at the hotel for a convention taking place at the Hilton Atlanta. I was ready for problems with the air conditioning and the slow elevators after reading many of the reviews on file. Apparently the air conditioning is fixed because more often than not, I ended up carrying a sweater with me whenever I attended a class in one of the function rooms. I wonder if the others were complaining about the lack of air conditioning because they were attending a karate tournament rather than a conference because everything was quite cool, but then we were not performing martial arts either. I did experience minor waits at the elevators but this was typically between classes and only for a few minutes. Most of the time I didn't take an elevator because I am terrified of glass elevators (inside or outside) so I chose to wait.

I had a room on the 22nd floor, and I think everything above me was in the process of being remodeled. There was some dust around but not enough to cause problems. There was a considerable amount of banging above me during the daytime hours but it was quiet again in my room by dinnertime. My room was average at best with a view of a "gentleman's club" on the street. Yuck. It was definitely not the best Hilton I've stayed at but it was clean and convenient.

One MAJOR negative I had was with one of the concierges. I had asked for directions to a drug store, and told her that I would be walking. She did mention that it was quite a long walk, which I didn't mind, but she failed to mention that my walk would take me through an exceedingly unsafe neighborhood. After about 3 blocks, I decided that I would simply have to find someplace else to get what I needed and I returned home by another way. This neighborhood goes bad VERY QUICKLY. I didn't keep walking to figure out if it got better or not after I passed 2 parks full of menacing people. I am a small woman, walking alone and was alone when I asked the concierge for directions, and although I study martial arts, my intent is to NEVER use it. She should have recommended a taxi - which would have been simple as there is a taxi stand right at the hotel. I would have gladly paid for the ride, had I known then what I now know. Shame on her.

The conference used the large ballroom for several events and the food was very good considering the large number of people we had there. The staff was attentive and there was always adequate seating.

• Liked — Cleanliness, Good setup for convention events, Good food & waitstaff
  • Disliked — It borders a sketchy neighborhood
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2008

I stayed here for only one night for a concert at Philips Arena. After getting the room on Priceline and reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, I didn't have high expectations. However, I didn't even notice any of the renovations that people (and the Hilton website) had mentioned. Check-in was super easy and the staff was very friendly! Dinner at Trader Vics was okay but could just be what I ordered, staff there was very friendly as well. The hotel website states that it is within walking distance from Philips Arena, etc. It is definitely close enough but I would use your judgement if walking at night. A $10 cab ride seems a little high for a few blocks but might be worth the safety. After the concert, we went up to the Point of the View rooftop bar. Great views and again, great staff. Overall, the hotel was nice and the location was convenient. Only real complaints are that wireless internet is not free and parking is expensive. This was my first experience with Priceline though and it was flawless. I HIGHLY recommend it, especially if you are flexible about location or are only staying a few days. I got the room for less than half of the rate published on both travel websites and the hotel's website!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Internet was not free
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2008

The automated check-in machines did not work, so we had to wait in a line to see a member of staff. The lifts are very slow – even though there are 6, we often had to wait for one, and then it would call at every floor on the way down to the ground. The room was a good size, and adequately furnished, although the TV was an old style CRT one which was showing its age. The mini-bar needed a key, and the maid had an annoying habit of removing it when she cleaned, which meant every night we had to go back to reception for another. In my room the TV socket was coming out of the wall and exposing the cables.

There is supposed to be wireless internet available in the rooms, but neither my laptop nor PDA could pick up the signal. The room only had a coffee maker (no option for tea), and despite there being 2 people in the room, the maid only left supplies adequate for 1.

Smoking was allowed in the hotel bar, and as a result the walls, furniture and carpet were all stained with nicotine. Ventilation was poor so the smoke lingered all evening – definitely not a safe place to socialise and enjoy a drink if you want to avoid second hand smoke.

Room service is very expensive – almost $20 for some pancakes. They charge you a delivery fee; automatically include a tip, but then still include a section on the bill for you to leave an additional tip. There is a restaurant in the basement called Trader Joes. Service was terrible. Some people arrived 20 minutes after us but had their main course before we had even had the starters.

In comparison to the size of the hotel, the swimming pool is absolutely tiny. The children’s pool at my local council owned leisure centre is twice as big.

I was expecting a higher standard from the Hilton, and I have stayed in other Hilton hotels which were much nicer.

• Liked — Location was ok - 5 minute walk to a metro station. 15 to 20 minute walk to Olympic park.
  • Disliked — Smoking was allowed in the hotel bar
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington, D.C.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2008

This Hilton is not only below average compared to Hiltons outside the US but also compared to Hiltons in US (which are usually not as nice).

The location is good (downtown) but not the best. It is a 6 block walk to the Centennial Park. There is parking right across the street which is much cheaper than the hotel parking. The coffee shop in the lobby is open 24 hours! The staff is friendly.

Now the bad stuff- It is a very old hotel. It definitely needs a makeover. A lot of things are not in the perfect working order (like the tap or ice machine etc.) or really run down (like the carpets, curtains etc.). It is definitely not luxurious. If you can get another nearby hotel in the same price range, I would advise you take that.

• Stayed September 2008
Richmond, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

I just stayed at the Hilton and the hotel is average at best. It could use a major upgrade to the 90's (and it's 2008).

Pros
- Decent location
- Friendly staff
- Comfortable Beds

Cons
- Worn Rooms, dirty carpet
- Awful TV (about 19" with a bad picture) sitting on top of a cable-tie shut mini bar
- Expensive wireless (14.95)
- Many homeless people in the area that approach you a little too easily immediately upon leaving the hotel and walking up towards Olympic Park, restaurants, etc.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Upstate, SC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

One of the biggest karate tournaments is held in Atlanta, Ga, the hotel that host the tournament is usually one of the best hotels around but that was not the case this year. The tournament was held at the Atlanta Hilton downtown and with everything that happened to our family and friends well lets just say we would have had better accommodations if we had stayed at the home from Nightmare on Elm Street. Our room was booked 3 to 4 weeks in advanced for two(2) adjoining rooms, with two (2) double beds. When we were asked if we needed any special request we told them I was handicapped and needed rooms that had easy accesses to the elevators. When I asked about the amenities in the room I was told each room comes with free Wi-Fi and that if we needed a refrigerator put in our room it would not cost. Also that is was a luxury hotel and had wonderful decor. When we got there they almost did not find our registration they had to hunt I had to tell them 5 or 6 times what name it was booked under. When I told them that the other couple would be delayed in checking in they told me that did not have their reservation so for the next hour and 30 minutes we went round and round till they finally said they would find a room for them. Our room was so far from the elevators that I felt like I had to pass through another hotel to get to my room, which people were walking down the stairs from the 9th floor and beating the elevator down. There was no cups in the room a coffee maker with one pack of coffee, one pack of sugar and one wooden stir stick, the decor was old outdated and had chipped marks all over. No exhaust fan in the bathroom which made things fun, we could have Wi-Fi for a fee of $15, and they did not have any refrigerators available but they would be a fee of $15, one of the smallest TV's (one you would normally see in someone's kitchen) which did not have a clear picture something was wrong with it, the carpets were dirty and stained, and the real fun was that the air conditioner did not work properly we had it down to 62.5 degree's we should have be able to have hung meat in that room. My husband and son put shorts on went topless and still sweated. Well every time we asked about something we were told it came with a $15 surcharge so really the only thing they gave you for free was the ice and that was because they could not figure out how to put coin slot on them to charge for each it time you got ice. When you called to complain you were put on hold for 5 to 10 minutes and then the only thing they would say was that this was a luxury hotel I think after about the 7th or 8th time calling about problems I learned my lesson and just quit calling because clearly they were not going to deal with anything. The parking and the $17 fee was on the same level as the room and I should not have been surprised about it and its conditions.

• Liked — Leaving it!!!!!!!!
  • Disliked — The whole hotel!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton Atlanta? Share your experiences!