“Comfortable rooms, gloomy hallways” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn 2X Hhonors Points!
Ranked #100 of 191 Hotels in Atlanta
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Comfortable rooms, gloomy hallways”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed at the Hilton one night for a couple of business meetings. The room was very good. Everything was clean, the bed was quite comfortable, the pillows were excellent. A couple of times I had to take the lid off the toilet tank and jiggle the flush valve to get it to shut off all the way and not make a dribbling noise (means toilet needs new flush valve). Probably 95% of guests would not have even noticed the water dripping noise, but for some reason that is a noise which can bug me when I am going to sleep. A minor maintenance issue.

There were a couple of other things that kept me from giving an "Excellent" rating:

1. The guest room hallways and central atrium area are really gloomy at night. Part of this is lighting and part is design. The atrium has some lounge areas projecting out from certain intermediate floors. But on a Sunday evening in the 8-10 PM range, no one was using those midlevel "landings," and they block the view down to (and sound up from) the ground floor. So it feels walking around like the place is totally empty and it's kind of foreboding.

2. The Trader Vic's and Nikolai's restaurants are not open 7 days a week. Seemed odd to me for an allegedly full service 4 star hotel.

3. Two of the elevators run up the outside of the building. That's cute, and gives you a skyline view, but they are very chilly when the temperature goes down.

I booked via an opaque site and for the price I would not mind if they sent me there again. It's a good hotel but there's nothing really spectacular about it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Korean first
Augusta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

My wife was attending a conference in Atlanta and the Hilton was chosen as her hotel. It is convenient to most things downtown, especially considering you can take the connecting skywalk between the hotels to get to Peachtree Street without having to go into the weather.
The rooms are spacious and for the most part quite. The room was clean, but noticed that our housekeeper had a wide range of times to do housekeeping such as 11 am one morning and other days at 3 pm. The later time was inconvenient.
The rooms are very pricey, over $200 per night not including about 18% in taxes. But then again no hotel in the city is cheap, you need to drive out to the I-285 beltway to find rooms under $100. Alos the restaurants at the Hilton are all overpriced for what you get. The lobby ones run about $18 to $28 and the top floor can be up to $35 to $40 per person. We walked across the skybridge to the Marriott Marquis and found a place (High Velocity) with meals in the $10 to $20 range. Thye were good.
One final note about the Atlanta Hilton as well as the other hotels, the cost of parking a car is very high, about $29 per night - ouch.

Room Tip: Don't get near the elevators. If Hilton Honors ask for the Honors floor with the free breakfast...
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Had the pleasure of attending an educational conference at the hotel and it was really nice. The food at the reception was delicious and the service was awesome. Loved it. The rooms are clean and spacious.

Room Tip: Coner units are bright and sunny.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
hiltonatl, Manager at Hilton Atlanta, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us and that you were pleased with your food, room and service. We hope to welcome you back soon!
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I was travelling in Atlanta for business in early October and neeed to stay just one night. There was a major logistics conference going on and most business hotels in downtown Atlanta were either full or very expensive. Even the Garden Inn I used to stay was selling at $350+ a night (perhaps for its proximity to the Convention Center). I was happily surprised when I found a kingbed room at the Hilton which was just 2/3 of that price.

Yes, the hotel was a bit tired, bland and dull. But the room was clean and comfortable enough or a good night's sleep. My room was quite spacious but the bathroom was unproportionately small. Yet everything worked just fine for me. It may not be up to par with the best Hiltons but certainly comparable to the Garden Inns and better than the DoubleTrees. Would be nice if they offer some perks to the loyal HHonors members such as free in-room Wifi.

Room Tip: Higher floors should be quieter
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
hiltonatl, Manager at Hilton Atlanta, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thank you for choosing our hotel during your time in the area. We appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you found some deficiencies while staying with us. . Guest feedback is incredibly important to us and we are taking your comments into consideration as we improve our on-property experience. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to our area.
Israel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I hate to complain, but although this is a great hotel in almost every aspect (and you probably do not expect less from a hilton), I was exteremely disappointed with the service.

I wanted to buy a couple of things online and ship them to the hotel, so I called the hotel a couple of weeks before my stay, and asked them how this can be done. They gave me the address of the hotel, and told me that all I need to do is to ship to that address. The packages arrived just fine.

BUT....
After I checked out I found out (a bit too late) that I was charged 30$ for "package handling". It is certainly outrageous that they neglected to tell me that I would have to pay such a large hangling fee.
I wrote to the hotel, but more than 10 days have passed and they didn't bother to respond.

This bad service simply ruined my impression of the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
hiltonatl, Manager at Hilton Atlanta, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
I appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were unhappy with some of the charges. I apologize if the charges were not clear when you made the arrangement, but I will be sure to address our team members in regard to your situation. Guest feedback is incredibly important to us and we apologize for the miscommunication. Thank you for your review.
Callington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Usual Hilton offer, huge hotel, you feel like you are staying in a rabbit warren. However the room was spacious and clean and no complaints there other than I could hear the traffic a bit from the motorways below ( I was on floor 15). They are expensive, I was on a conference rate of $200 dollar a night but when you come to check out there was another $295 in taxes!! Not right they should quote the rate per night inclusive!. I went for breakafast which is a buffet and it is $18 which is pricey but then again Tax on top plus tip means you are paying about $24 for breakfast which is nothing special. There is a Starbucks in the lobby where you could eat cheaper however I dont trust their food as I asked for a breakfast biscuit with egg and sausage but when I bit into the sausage was still frozen!!! OK but in summary, pricey, clean and bland.

Room Tip: Try to get one at the back facing the pool it may be quieter.
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Starting with the positives, the rooms had very comfortable beds, and sound was well insulated - so full marks for sleep quality. Other positive is that there are eight elevators, so you rarely had to wait very long for one.

Often I go for much cheaper hotels, so the above factors would be more than enough to keep me happy. But given I'm paying Hilton rates here, and I'm a Hilton Gold, I expect something a bit more. Sadly that was not forthcoming.

The rooms - and especially the miniscule bathroom - were way below normal Hilton sizes. Reasonable but not generous work space in the room itself. In the bathroom, the bathroom door comes right up to the toilet bowl. Very basic decor, sloppy paint jobs on walls, and scratched furniture - all gave an air of a lack of care. There are several bar/restaurants in the hotel but they are quite ludicrously overpriced and pretty poor quality.

The location is convenient for conferences/businesses in the downtown area, but it's a couple of blocks going past aggressive beggars to get to the local metro station and other amenities. And even those are non-existent on weekends. It's not enjoyable to get to anything outside the hotel, to be honest. I know you probably get similar situations in other areas of Atlanta, but it added to the disappointment of this experience.