“A great hotel, but...” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #100 of 191 Hotels in Atlanta
Israel
“A great hotel, but...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I hate to complain, but although this is a great hotel in almost every aspect (and you probably do not expect less from a hilton), I was exteremely disappointed with the service.

I wanted to buy a couple of things online and ship them to the hotel, so I called the hotel a couple of weeks before my stay, and asked them how this can be done. They gave me the address of the hotel, and told me that all I need to do is to ship to that address. The packages arrived just fine.

BUT....
After I checked out I found out (a bit too late) that I was charged 30$ for "package handling". It is certainly outrageous that they neglected to tell me that I would have to pay such a large hangling fee.
I wrote to the hotel, but more than 10 days have passed and they didn't bother to respond.

This bad service simply ruined my impression of the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
hiltonatl, Manager at Hilton Atlanta, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
I appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were unhappy with some of the charges. I apologize if the charges were not clear when you made the arrangement, but I will be sure to address our team members in regard to your situation. Guest feedback is incredibly important to us and we apologize for the miscommunication. Thank you for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Korean first
Callington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Usual Hilton offer, huge hotel, you feel like you are staying in a rabbit warren. However the room was spacious and clean and no complaints there other than I could hear the traffic a bit from the motorways below ( I was on floor 15). They are expensive, I was on a conference rate of $200 dollar a night but when you come to check out there was another $295 in taxes!! Not right they should quote the rate per night inclusive!. I went for breakafast which is a buffet and it is $18 which is pricey but then again Tax on top plus tip means you are paying about $24 for breakfast which is nothing special. There is a Starbucks in the lobby where you could eat cheaper however I dont trust their food as I asked for a breakfast biscuit with egg and sausage but when I bit into the sausage was still frozen!!! OK but in summary, pricey, clean and bland.

Room Tip: Try to get one at the back facing the pool it may be quieter.
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Starting with the positives, the rooms had very comfortable beds, and sound was well insulated - so full marks for sleep quality. Other positive is that there are eight elevators, so you rarely had to wait very long for one.

Often I go for much cheaper hotels, so the above factors would be more than enough to keep me happy. But given I'm paying Hilton rates here, and I'm a Hilton Gold, I expect something a bit more. Sadly that was not forthcoming.

The rooms - and especially the miniscule bathroom - were way below normal Hilton sizes. Reasonable but not generous work space in the room itself. In the bathroom, the bathroom door comes right up to the toilet bowl. Very basic decor, sloppy paint jobs on walls, and scratched furniture - all gave an air of a lack of care. There are several bar/restaurants in the hotel but they are quite ludicrously overpriced and pretty poor quality.

The location is convenient for conferences/businesses in the downtown area, but it's a couple of blocks going past aggressive beggars to get to the local metro station and other amenities. And even those are non-existent on weekends. It's not enjoyable to get to anything outside the hotel, to be honest. I know you probably get similar situations in other areas of Atlanta, but it added to the disappointment of this experience.

Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel while attending a conference at the convention center. It is located 2 blocks from a MARTA station and 5 blocks from Olympic park but they are very big blocks. The shuttles to the congress center took 15 minutes and although I did not walk, I would estimate a 30 minute walk.
My room on the 22nd floor was quiet and comfortable. The bed and bedding are good quality. The bathroom was a little worn but clean. The furniture is all standard business hotel. Elevators were a bit slow and common areas very average.
There is a small cafe off the lobby which was very convenient. There is free Internet only in the lobby area and it did not work well for me. The "business center" consists of rental computers in the FedEx office which closes at 7 pm weekdays a d 5 pm weekends. I thought this was really weak for what appears to be a business hotel.
Overall, an average, acceptable hotel. I would only stay here again as part of a conference.

• Stayed November 2012
Louisville, KY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Worst service from the line at check-in to wait staff with horrible attitudes. Nothing good to say. Will not come back...period. Should have walked out of the restaurant. Staying on the "executive level" which is supposed to offer beverages and snacks until 11pm. At 10, only water in sight.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
hiltonatl, Manager at Hilton Atlanta, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry you had a disappointing experience with us and I have addressed these issues with our staff. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve. Thank you once again for your comments.
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Even if you are In Atlanta for a convention, avoid the Hilton Atlanta. Food is below average and pricey, the room smells.

The service, what service, one employee at the front desk to check in and out at 2;00pm. I wondered if the hotel was closed.

Don't even bother with the Concierge, he is too important to be helpful! May be he forgot he is a Concierge!

By the way if you need anything the bellboys are most helpful! And friendly!

• Stayed November 2012
We are sorry that you had a disappointing experience during your stay with us. At Hilton, we always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected. Your feedback will help us deliver this brand promise. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Again, we apologize for the inconveniences that you endured while staying with us. We will be sure to address our team to ensure that these issues aren’t repeated. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again.
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed last weekend and found the hotel staff friendly and the bed and room incredibly comfortable. The gym was clean and new and had great machines. We were provided with free wifi and the bath products were high end. Trader Vic's downstairs serves fabulous drinks, and Nikolai's upstairs has a great view and attentive staff. Overall, we had a great time and would stay at the downtown Hilton again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple