“Avoid at all price” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #102 of 189 hotels in Atlanta
New York
“Avoid at all price”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

Even if you are In Atlanta for a convention, avoid the Hilton Atlanta. Food is below average and pricey, the room smells.

The service, what service, one employee at the front desk to check in and out at 2;00pm. I wondered if the hotel was closed.

Don't even bother with the Concierge, he is too important to be helpful! May be he forgot he is a Concierge!

By the way if you need anything the bellboys are most helpful! And friendly!

• Stayed November 2012
hiltonatl, Manager at Hilton Atlanta, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
We are sorry that you had a disappointing experience during your stay with us. At Hilton, we always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected. Your feedback will help us deliver this brand promise. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Again, we apologize for the inconveniences that you endured while staying with us. We will be sure to address our team to ensure that these issues aren’t repeated. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again.

1,611 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed last weekend and found the hotel staff friendly and the bed and room incredibly comfortable. The gym was clean and new and had great machines. We were provided with free wifi and the bath products were high end. Trader Vic's downstairs serves fabulous drinks, and Nikolai's upstairs has a great view and attentive staff. Overall, we had a great time and would stay at the downtown Hilton again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
durham, nc
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I should have brought my nasonex and claritin. This is an older hotel, yeah yeah but can we do some updates? I am here for a conference, got a room for 209/night for 4 nights. The room was on the 9th floor, close to the elevator.

When you enter, you immediately smell of musty old smell. The bathroom has the sewer smell. I thought the place was clean until I went to turn on the tv and it was unplugged. I didn't know that, called the maintenance, and a guy promptly came up to fix the issue. He pulled the plug that was no longer hooked to the tv and up with it came 10,000 dust bunnies. All over the black granite table and he just swept it off to the floor. Ugh, so dirty!!

The bathroom tile has dirt and it reminds me of 1970's. I like old (see my review of SF westin) but this is poor conditioned, poorly kept. Lord help me get through these next 4 nights!

Room Tip: stay at the marriott marquis
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were unhappy with your guest room. Guest feedback is incredibly important to us and we are taking your comments into consideration as we improve our on-property experience. Again, we apologize for the inconveniences that you endured, and we want you to know that we have worked with our housekeeping staff to correct all issues mentioned. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to Atlanta.
Overland Park,KS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

There were 14 people waiting for 2 front desk people to check them in. Staffing the front desk is not a priority for them. Key did not work, went back down, and they assigned me to another room. Rooms are clean, hallways quiet. Lots of eating options in the area. Self parking is over $20 per day.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

The hotel was located near everything we wanted to do. We were able to walk to the basketball game and the aquarium. The staff was friendly and very knowledgeable of the area. We would definitely booked the Hilton again!!

Room Tip: We booked through a third party and paid half the price of the published rate.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The hotel is centrally located in downtown Atlanta. I was not overly fond of the geometric carpeting-a little too busy for my taste. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The beds, sheets and pillows were the best! I slept really well during my 4 night stay. I would have liked a fan in the bathroom as well as a full length mirror in the room on a wall verses on the bathroom door. The other nice feature was that the elevators were not near any hotel rooms as far as I could tell. The room decor was very calming and it would have been great if they would have followed suit in the main parts of the hotel, too.

Ann Arbor, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

The room quality was average for an expensive large city hotel. I found the room clean. The only restaurant I went to was the "Southern Elements", which was OK, but a bit on the expensive side, which would be expected for a large city hotel.

There is a coffee and convenience shop at the hotel which is OK if one doesn't want to walk anyplace else. They "feature" Starbucks coffee, but they don't offer everything a Starbucks does. There is a Starbucks coffee shop at the Marriott across the street which appears to be a full featured coffee shop.

The exercise room was OK. The first day, the elliptical appeared to have a "creaking" problem, but was otherwise useable. On the second day, the room was out of wipes. Don't look for a whirlpool; there isn't one. The running track and swimming pool are outside.

There is a tunnel that interconnects the hotel with nearby buildings, from which one can reach the Peachtree Mall by the Marta train station. During my trip, the escalator to Marta from Peachtree mall was closed for maintenance; one has to cross the street to get to Marta. The tunnels are convenient and recommended, especially during weekends and late evenings. The Peachtree Mall has an excellent selection of fast food places for lunches, by the way.

I do recommend paying close attention to your bill. When I checked in, I was asked if I had a car. I said I didn't (I took the train from Atlanta airport). When reconciling my expenses after the trip, I noticed a parking charge. I called the hotel and Hilton corporate to have this charge removed and was told they couldn't do this outside their business hours, which I wasn't happy about.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Atlanta? Share your experiences!