“Good, but lacks ammenities” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Staycation from $84!
Ranked #94 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
Muscle Shoals, Alabama
“Good, but lacks ammenities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

This hotel is very clean, updated & comfortable with large rooms, but lacks some ammenities that I have come to expect from upscale hotels. The king room that we stayed in did not have a makeup mirror, night light nor exhaust fan in the bathroom. There was a safe, but no mini frig. This probably would not matter to a man traveling for business.But no free wi fi and the business center charges 40 cents per minute for use. Staff was very friendly & helpful.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Wilsonville, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

This Hilton is a bit dated and the staff seemed tired, but the king room was large and comfortable. There was a large work desk, as well as a hidden desk tucked underneath that could be wheeled out for extra work space; a nice touch and useful. The ergo chair was comfortable. Bed and bath linens were very nice; plenty of towels and pillows. The hotel bar, restaurants, and cafe prices were steep. I finally learned the way to the food court via the sky-walks, through the adjacent Marriott, to reasonably priced coffee and food. It is an easy walk to a number of good restaurants and points of interest. As a conference location, this Hilton is adequate, but I probably would not select this hotel otherwise.

Room Tip: Ask to be placed in a room not on the freeway; it was noisy 24/7.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

I have high expectations when I stay at brand-name, overpriced hotels. Upon arrival, the front desk staff was terrific! Friendly and great service. However, the room was a different story. One of the water bottles provided had been opened and someone had drank some of the water. In addition, the remote control for the television was missing. There was also a lot of hallway noise (not b/c people were being particularly rude but the walls were just so thin) so I was woken up several times. One of the cleaning people also threw away my commemorative coca cola bottle but I didn't care all that much (more annoyed than anything).

Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

The Hilton was a few dollars cheaper and right across the street from the Marriott Marquis, which was the site of a recent conference I attended. Location was a non-issue because the two hotels are connected by a sky bridge, and it was no problem to go outside to cross the street. Good location for business and convention travelers. Culture and tourist attractions are within walking or subway access. The Peachtree station is a few blocks away. It connects to the airport and the High Museum (also SoNo and Underground Atlanta). My only complaint: no bath towels, but that was easily corrected.

Room Tip: I was given a city view room on the 22nd floor. Thought i might have elevator problems due to conven...
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed at this Hilton, and boy was I surprised (or should I say disappointed) by how terrible my stay was. The food was awful. I attended a conference, and a couple of us got sick from the food. We ended up eating at various restaurants that were close-by instead of at the hotel. The service was average. The room was average- definitely not what you would expect from a Hilton. While I liked the gym and the roof-top bar, it just didn't make up for the fact that I felt jilted by staying here. I mean the prices are 5 star, but this hotel is only 3 star.

Huntington, WV
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed at the Hilton Atlanta on Courtland from October 26-29. The hotel is really nice, and overall, my stay was good. However, I woke up the first morning there to a text message that said that over $1000 had been withdrawn from my checking account, so I immediately checked my account online and saw that the Hilton had taken $600 out of my checking account (my university was paying for the trip; I just gave them my bank card for incidentals), and then another $500 had been taken out and then $200 had randomly been deposited. I had only stayed in the hotel one night, so no money should have been charged yet, and my hotel stay wasn't even $600; it was a little under $500, so all of the amounts were random. I went to the check-in desk and spoke with a staff member checking people in, and he looked at me as though I had no business being upset for having over $1000 taken out of my account. I knew I wouldn't get anywhere with him, so I asked him to get his manager. The manager took care of it, but he also looked at me as though he couldn't understand why I'd be upset (it was the end of the month, and I had very little money in my account, so I was overdrawn), and he didn't even apologize or offer to comp a meal, etc. Everything was cleared up by the next morning, but there was no effort made by the hotel to smooth over the situation any further.

Secondly, we ate at the downstairs hotel restaurant, and it clearly did not have enough wait staff, and the manager was flummoxed that he was getting so many people at the lunch hour (the restaurant is huge, and IT WAS A CONFERENCE). When we finally got our food, we found that our veggie panini was no more than one strip of zucchini, one strip of yellow squash, three pieces of spinach, and a dab of pesto--ridiculous. The sandwich is like $17, and while the bread is delicious, the serving of vegetables was something to be embarrassed about.

Last, my colleague asked for different salad dressing at one of the conference lunches (we were only given very fattening ranch dressing), and the waiter bluntly said, "no," and walked away.

So, all in all, the hotel as a facility is nice (great Starbuck's, great gym, nice in-house services such as Fed-Ex), but the staff leaves much to be desired. They could all use a class in hospitality management.

Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

There are several good things about this hotel: easily accessible location downtown, safe and secure self-parking ($21 per night, as opposed to several nearby hotels which have considerably more expensive valet-only parking), reliable if not remarkable Hilton standards in terms of the quality of room furnishings, and rates which often are less than the other mega-hotels nearby. My wife and I have stayed here several times for weekend getaways (using the "blind"/auction sites, this hotel has often been the cheapest 4* property). Also, the hotel guest services have been responsive when we have had problems (tub didn't drain, dirty towels, not enough towels --the usual stuff).

Unfortunately, the front desk service has always been sub-standard: less-than friendly agents with mostly a "can't do" attitude, and definitely don't expect smiles and thank-yous! They seem tired and worn-down by the hoards that frequently occupy this large convention hotel.

Also, this hotel is showing its age in places...the hallways and common areas are dingy and scuffed up enough to prevent this from being a 4* hotel.

Due to the poor front-desk hospitality and the somewhat run-down appearance of some of the hotel common areas, this hotel doesn't qualify for any more than a 3 or 3.5 star rating, in my opinion.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms on lower floors are huge...but closer to the noise of the busy lobby.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Atlanta? Share your experiences!