“Best meal and service in ATL. No question.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Empire State South

Empire State South
999 Peachtree Street, Suite 140, Atlanta, GA 30309 (Downtown)
404-541-1105
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Best meal and service in ATL. No question.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

After reading an article in the WSJ in which Richard Blaise (Top Chef) stated that Empire State South was his favorite comfort food restaurant, we quickly made a reservation (through Open Table).

The food was outstanding! The combinations of flavors and textures on each plate was perfect - nuanced yet bold - and left us wanting more. Then we got to the dessert. I am not a dessert person (prefer salty to sweet) but the fried pie was probably one of the 3 best desserts I have ever had in my life (and I have eaten at lots of Michelin starred places around the world). My husband (who has an out of control sweet tooth) was so amazed by my dessert that once he finished his dessert, he ordered another plate of the fried pie. He still waxes nostalgic about it over a month later.

The service was astounding, too! Our waiter was extremely knowledgeable, happily offered recommendations on the food (his favorites, most popular) and confidently recommended great, and surprising, wine pairings. At the end of the meal, when we asked if he would call us a taxi, he instead insisted on walking us to the taxi stand and personally handling the directions with the taxi driver. We were totally blown away.

Seriously, this was the best meal and best experience we had in ATL and will definitely go back there every time we're in the city

• Visited June 2011