“Best Greek food we've had since we left Chicago's great Greek Town!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mykonos Taverna - CLOSED

Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: I-85
Transit: Marta Bus stops at the rear of Mykonos Taverna, a mere 50 feet from our front door.
Savannah
“Best Greek food we've had since we left Chicago's great Greek Town!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

Best Greek food we've had since we left Chicago's great Greek Town - wonderful. Spanokoptita was delicious. The staff were attentive. Worth a visit!

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Parrish, Florida
“A lot of food for the money.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Mykonos is about three and a half stars for me. The portions are huge. We went with a group and I wish someone had warned me. I ordered way too much food, and being on the road, I couldn't take any home. Other than that, it's pretty much average Greek food. Don't think I would be a regular if I lived nearby.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, GA
“Great greek restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Many Atlanta Greek restaurants come and go. I hope Mykonos sticks around. It's a free-standing building with plenty of parking. It has a huge amount of seating including a full bar and some outside seating. I've only ever been for lunch, but the food has always been consistent and good. I go with a friend who is Greek and he seemed to like many of the dishes, but I'm no expert myself. Service has always been outstanding a lunch time.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, GA
“Great Gyros, -- Moussaka Not So Great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

We ate lunch at Mykonos Taverna and were very pleased. However, our dinner there the next day was not as great. I am of Greek descent and go to Greece often, so I think I have a basis to judge.

At lunch

I had the medium Elliniki (Greek salad) - $8, with added Gyro meat on top ($4) for a total of $12. It was really, really delicious and the quantity so much, that I ended up taking about half home with me.

My companion had a regular Gyro on pita with fries - $8. He loved it. We both think this is the best Gyro meat in Atlanta and compares favorably with that in Greece.

One previous reviewer was aghast that they would serve a Gyro with Fries instead of rice. Well, from my experience, that's the way you get it in Greece. Mykonos does offer the option of regular fries, Greek fries or broiled Greek potatoes. I also believe the waiter said that rice can be a substitute for regular fries. But regular fries is how it comes in Greece.

We split the Saganaki appetizer ($12) and it too was delicious. Granted it is the first time I have seen this fried cheese with tomato, but the tomato complemented the Kefalotiri well.

We came back the next evening with a friend. This time I had the Moussaka. Unfortunately the Bechamel topping was awful. It was all dried out and crusty --having the consistency of dried out oatmeal. The rest of the Moussaka (the meat, eggplant and potato) were very nice. But the very bad topping spoiled the Moussaka. I wondered why they have not figured out how to keep the Moussaka "fresh." I did not complain to management because I'm not a complainer, but I should have.

So the overall grade for Mykonos is B- or C. It gets an A+ for the Gyro and Gyro meat but a D for the Moussaka. If they figure out how to keep the Bechamel topping nice, the Moussaka would be a B+.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great atmosphere, average food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I came here many times and the food was hit and miss. The service was great. The bartenders took their time and made drinks correctly, which doesn't always happen, and they have great specials during football season. I don't go there much for real dinner anymore but its good for just drinks and apps.

• Visited November 2011