“Great staff, tiny room” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Atlanta Downtown

Save Saved
You added Courtyard Atlanta Downtown to your Saves list
Courtyard Atlanta Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   133 Carnegie Way, Atlanta, GA 30303 (Formerly Hotel Indigo Downtown Atlanta)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #33 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
Jacksonville, North Carolina
“Great staff, tiny room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I stayed here four nights in April for business. First the positives: the staff was fantastic - always friendly and ready to help with directions or restaurant recommendations; the hotel was very conveniently located - one block from Peachtree Street, five blocks from Olympic Park, and seven blocks from the convention center; and the room was very neat and clean.

However, the room (609) was also EXTREMELY SMALL and oddly laid out. I ready a previous review about room 610 being large and spacious - that must be where the extra square footage went. I was staying in the room by myself, so it was fine for one person - but a large person probably would have been uncomfortable in this room. I'm average sized, and more than once I banged my hip on the bathroom vanity while trying to walk from the bathroom to the bedroom.

That said, I would stay here again, just not in that particular room. If I were the manager I would advise the staff not to put anyone in that room unless everything else was full.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 609 if you are claustrophobic!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Scot G, General Manager at Courtyard Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the Courtyard Atlanta Downtown we appreciate your feedback. The City of Atlanta has lots of great things to offer and we are fortunate to be centrally located at the heart of it all. However, our staff is our greatest asset and I am proud that they helped to make your experience enjoyable while in Atlanta. Room 609 is one of our smaller room layouts with just the one queen size bed. Our Historic building is shaped like a triangle thus the reason for many variations in room layouts and sizes. The next time you stay with us you can make a special request for a larger room within the room type you booked or you can call me directly at 404-222-2416 and I'd be happy to make a note on your reservations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed here for the Final Four this year. My wife and I had a room in the corner suite on the 6th floor. Cannot remember the room number (I want to say 610), but the room was beautiful. The bathroom was very large and the shower was separate from the tub, but yet still enclosed with a glass wall. The entrance to the hotel was very clean and new. We sat at the bar 1 of the nights and the bar staff was very friendly as well. For a Courtyard I was surprised to see the quality that it possessed. The other great thing about this hotel was the location to Peachtree St. and all the Final Four events near Centennial Olympic Park.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us at the Courtyard Atlanta Downtown. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay while visiting Atlanta. The Corner King Room is one of my favorites, they are the only rooms with the jetted tubs and because they're on the corner of the triangle shaped building, they are more spacious. Hope to see you again when you return to the Atlanta area, I'd like to suggest some more things for you to enjoy.
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We were in Atlanta for the Final Four and stayed here for four nights. What an amazingly great hotel in a great central location. This is not your average Courtyard. It is very upscale and the staff was wonderful. It is an older building with a complete modern remodel and the rooms are very spacious with lots of light!!! I am surprised that with the quality of this hotel that it does't have a Renaissance or Marriott name instead of Courtyard. Great stay!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Scot G, General Manager at Courtyard Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you OrangeYellow Jacket for your review. My team and I are excited to hear that you had a great stay while visiting Atlanta for the Final Four weekend. We are proud of our unique "boutique style" Courtyard by Marriott. Our Historical Building allows for creativity in decor and modern spaces. Although there is much to be proud of in our hotel, our most valuable asset is our staff, I am happy to here that the staff was able to create a pleasant experience for you. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Atlanta and thank you for staying with us.
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

A little less then a year ago I made reservations at several hotels in downtown Atlanta to coincide with the Final Four, knowing that as the time drew near hotel rooms would be very difficult to find and very expensive. The Courtyard was one of these hotels. As the time drew near to decide which hotel we would stay in I began reading the Marriott site about Courtyard's in general, and the reviews are not favorable because many of the typical Courtyard have made changes that have frustrated their platinum and elite members. (no free coffee, no breakfasts included, rare upgrades etc.), so I was hesitant about choosing this Courtyard based on the reviews of "all" Courtyards.

I then did a little digging, reading and looked at room photos and realized this was not a "typical" Courtyard as it is more like Marriott's autograph hotels. The decor is unique, the bathrooms marble, and the beds really comfortable. As a platinum frequent traveler, I hoped I'd get an upgrade to one of their corner king rooms because they looked like they had a tub in them, where the rest of the rooms only had showers, and they had a little bit more room, since we were staying 6 nights.

When we arrived we were greeted by Brian who is the assistant general manager. I gave him my name and asked him if we could be upgraded to a corner king room. He said he was able to upgrade us until Friday but that because of the final four, he would not be able to upgrade us for the entire time. We said that was fine, because I was not feeling great and really just wanted a hot bath and some sleep.

We checked into a beautiful room which has windows all over the place, high ceilings, a little sitting area and an awesome bathroom with shower and tub with jets. It is a triangular shaped room and so the layout was unique and really cool. NOT the usual Courtyard room by a long shot.

Once we were checked in we went to find some food and found an awesome Mexican restaurant called No Mas Cantina. When we got back to the hotel, Brian was still there and so we thanked him and talked with him a little while and then went into the Bistro/Bar. This is where we met Telon and another amazing young woman who we talked with who were both bartenders. They mixed me an awesome margarita and my husband a rum and Diet Pepsi (because even in the world headquarters of Coke, Marriott only serves Pepsi). Everyone on the staff at this hotel was exceptional. They were friendly, generous and fun. We would visit the bar each night and during the day when we needed to kill some time and it seemed no matter when we were in the lobby or when we were in the bar, Telon was there and Brian was helping customers in the lobby.

I was very impressed with the customer service at this hotel, and while it's an older building and the walls are a little thin, it is a place that I will recommend to anyone staying in Atlanta.

Every time we entered the bar, Telon would ask if we wanted the usual. When we left the building Brian would talk with us and ask us how things were going. He also (as he must be a miracle worker) made it possible for us to stay in our corner king room for the entire 6 nights.

We also had the pleasure of meeting Scott who I believe was the general manager, and had a chance to hear about how he was able to assemble such great staff. We told him how much we appreciated the customer service and all they had done to make our stay an exceptional one.

The Marta station is literally right next to the hotel, you are within walking distance of many great restaurants as well as the Georgia Dome, Phillips Arena, Olympic Park and the Convention Center. Atlanta is a great city with many things to do, and Brian will help you get wherever you need to go (it's all about four block away ;-)).

I recommend this property because the staff is exceptional, the decor unique and the location perfect.

Room Tip: If you can secure a corner king, it's worth the extra money! The bathroom has a great tub, and t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your great comments about the staff. It was a pleasure meeting you and having an opportunity to chat for a while. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to Atlanta and you found our hotel a joy. We certainly appreciate you being an Elite Rewards Member and I'm glad you were able to keep the upgraded room for the entire stay. Hope to see you again during your next Atlanta visit.
Chapel Hill, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This property is much different than most Courtyards. It is right downtown just of Peachtree and has valet parking. The check in experience is pleasant and fast. The rooms are large and offer great views of the city. My room was a corner room with nice views of the city. The bathroom is oversize with walk in shower. The rooms are bright and have the look and feel of a boutique type hotel. I have stayed here several times in Atlanta and plan to continue. Within a block are several nice restaurants and bars. There is a shopping center just 3 blocks down with a two level CVS store.

Room Tip: High rooms offer a good view of downtown
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
It is so good to hear how much you enjoy staying at the Courtyard Atlanta Downtown. We are proud of what we also call our "Boutique Courtyard". Now that we have the new Restaurant called the Bistro, we hope to only enhance the experience. Please contact me directly at 404-222-2416 so I can hear more of your experience and tell you a bit more about our New Bistro and what else Atlanta has to offer.
Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I had to attend a Convention in Atlanta at the World Congress Center. Hard to find a room at the last minute, but Marriott had availability at the Courtyard. One hundred fifty a night plus tax but I needed a place to stay. I was very surprised at the outstanding attitude of the staff when I arrived at 9:15 AM. I thought I would just check my luggage after a very early morning flight and get on to the meeting. The receptionist was great...she said "No, let's just get you checked into a room right now."..I was able to get checked in, cleaned up and freshened up before a long day on the convention floor. My room was quiet, comfortable and complete for a one night stay. The next morning I checked my bag with the front desk and went back to my meeting. I ate breakfast at their restaurant, which was fine and saved me some time...food was good and coffee was hot. Very accommodating and friendly staff. The lobby door of the hotel is no more than 150 feet from the escalator down to the MARTA Peachtree Subway Station which made it so easy to make my 6PM flight home. Everybody at that hotel tried to make me feel appreciated. That is great customer service!

Room Tip: The higher the better!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Marriott did an outstanding job renovating and older building and turning it into a modern looking hotel, both in the various public areas and in the rooms. I've stayed in many older hotels that have been "re-worked" with a lot left to be desired. Simply putting in new rugs, new furniture, and a new window does not make for a complete renovation. Here, Marriott has done a great job turning a much older building into something much more than what it was to start.

The likes:

The room was fairly quiet when it comes to noise from the outside. I was on the 5th floor and only heard a murmur every now & then when something unusually loud was going on outside the building.

The room was fairly modern and I loved the sliding barn door treatment that is a HUGE space saver and gives the room a "different but exciting" touch. Something you don't see in many hotel rooms.

The bathroom was very nicely done, big wide and open sink area, huge mirror, modern faucets. A big shower at the end of the room with floor-to-ceiling tile and glass around a big rain-maker style shower head.

The room had big windows on every exterior wall, 3 or them in my corner king room. One big window from 1/4 up the wall to near the ceiling in the bathroom, the back wall, and the side wall. Very nice and lets in a ton of natural light. When you don't want that they have complete room darkening shades that keep that light out.

The cafe with Starbucks coffee available, a full bar, and a full menu looked comfortable and inviting. I only stopped in for Starbucks on my way out the door but would have not been sad to have needed to grab lunch or dinner and a beer here.

However, fitting "modern" into "60-years old" does not make for a perfect match. Here are the things I didn't like in order of "annoyance".

It was LOUD. Not constantly, but with the hotel fairly empty (from what I could tell based on lobby/cafe traffic) I was woken up several times early on Friday and again on Saturday morning. Not too early but at 6:30 AM on Friday I heard a very LOUD bang, the slamming of a door 3 rooms down the hall. Again a half-hour later I heard another. Same thing on Saturday at different times, of course, but it obviously was a "this is how the doors close and how loud they are" problem not a "once-in-a-while someone slams a door" problem. I also had someone in the room above me and mid-morning Saturday, luckily I was awake by then, I could hear them moving stuff around, walking around, and putting something on the floor. No voices so it isn't "paper thin walls" but I'm sure they were not stomping around up there.

The cool barn doors? Not so cool when the sun comes up at 6AM. The bathroom does not have room darkening shades and that barn door just sort of hangs on a rail, so light pours in... in my room right through the crack in the door to the head of the bed. Boooo. Luckily it wasn't super-bright as I was in a "shadow of the building" room in the morning, but in the afternoon it blazes in so if you get a room "round the corner" that could be an issue.

The outlets on the desk lamp, they don't work. So I had to plugin my laptop to the wall outlet behind the desk. Easy enough to get too, but guess what? Those awesome floor-to-ceiling room darkening blinds? They go right over the outlet and you have to bunch them up and lift them around the power cords. I didn't like leaving them like that, not a big deal probably but could be a fire hazard if something odd, like the power brick overheating, were to happen.

Overall the hotel was pretty darn good. I WOULD stay here again without hesitation, however I am always seeking the 4.5 or 5 star experience so unless cost becomes a factor that probably won't happen. Don't let my review scare you away. The people here were great, most of them friendly and courteous with the only exception being some of the front desk people that were too busy chatting with friends on 2 occasions to greet me on my way in/out and to ask if I had any questions. Every other staff member was very accommodating.

So in general I give it 3 stars. Considered 4, but things like having a dark room to sleep in and limited noise is a BIG part of my "must have" list in a hotel. I am there to sleep, not play in my room all day. so they MUST do everything right to be fully conducive to that task. I am a light sleeper so if you fail on 2 of the 3 main tasks : dark, quiet, comfortable bed, then the hotel is average (3 stars) at best. Heck, most hotels with 2 main "sleep problems" get 1 or 2 stars in my book, but the modern renovation, friendly staff, and cool cafe downstairs push it up a bit.

Also... a great location if you want to explore the tourist area of Peachtree Street. A block from Hard Rock Cafe, Juke Joint, and several other fun places.

Room Tip: I would try for a higher floor to get less street noise. Get a corner room if you can, I liked the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard Atlanta Downtown? Share your experiences!