I did have contact with a manager at the hotel after staying there and they have offered me a discount to try it again, and have indicated that my problems have been discussed with the staff. Here's the full list of problems:
The rooms are very small, though nicely furnished. The service on the other hand...
1. Checkin: The clerk said Hi and asked my name. Then he told me the room number and handed me the key AND THAT WAS IT. He didn't show me the hotel, or describe any of the services, or the hours of the restaurant/bar. He didn't ask if we needed any help, etc... i.e. he said 2 words to me total and we were on our way.
2. The room is very tiny, and there is only one luggage rack, so I called down and asked for another and I was told "No." Being as how that confused me, the person on the phone added, "We only allow one rack per room." This was a very short and confusing answer to me. Not, say, "Let me check and see if I can find you one" but "No."
3. On the 2nd day I asked at the desk if there were any mid-priced restaurants nearby they could recommend, and the guy handed me a sheet of paper that listed 7 places on a map. And then he walked away. Immediately. Really! Since there was no indication on the map of what type of restaurants these were, or what price range, I figured I would ask him which were mid-priced since that was my actual question, but he had already walked away. And the listings didn't tell you if Ray's was fish or steak or BBQ. It turns out it was Fish. And $ or $$ or $$$? It turns out it was $$$.
4. On our last day I asked for directions to the rental car place to pick up a car, and the woman handed me a map.... AND THEN WALKED AWAY! Really. Since the hotel is bounded on 3 sides by streets, and I don't know Atlanta at all, it was hard to orient myself with the map, but when I turned to ask her where the front door was on the map - SHE HAD ALREADY WALKED AWAY!
5. On leaving, we pulled our car up and asked the valet if we could leave our car there long enough to go up and get our bags, and he said OK, and I said we have a lot so it could be 2 trips, and he said that was fine. He didn't offer to get us a luggage cart, or even point to one, or call for someone to help us. I had just told him we had a lot of bags and he said, "OK." Nice. When we got them all down and were loading the car he didn't help.
6. I counted: of the 12 times we came in or out of the hotel only 2 times were we greeted at all.
7. On the other hand, the people in the restaurant were great - very helpful and friendly. They must have a separate manager.
All my separate complaints were each small and insignificant of themselves, but together they indicate a serious problem. It actually appeared to us that the staff were trained to disengage rather than to help - give a quick answer and walk away so you are not trapped trying to help someone - like a call center person following a script!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Courtyard Atlanta Downtown offers guests a unique boutique style lodging experience in the energetic heart of the city. Take advantage of our complimentary WiFi throughout and find plenty of space to work and relax in our inviting guest rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Marriott, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Courtyard Atlanta Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Courtyard Atlanta Downtown Hotel Atlanta