“Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway--Totally on Its Game” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
ATL Spring Rates from $79
Ranked #15 of 189 hotels in Atlanta
Milwaukee
“Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway--Totally on Its Game”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We visited Atlanta for the Final Four this weekend and very much enjoyed our stay at the Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway. Connected to the airport by the free Skytrain, we were able to easily get to the hotel on Friday evening and depart early Sunday morning hassle free. We purchased our MARTA Breeze(travel pass) card right inside the airport terminal and went to and from downtown Atlanta on MARTA(about 20 minutes) quite easily on both Friday evening and Saturday morning and evening. Everyone we interacted with at the hotel was extremely helpful and pleasant. Prior to arriving, Dahalia helped me with our reservation and with questions about the hotel, the Sky Train and MARTA access. She was a great ambassador for the hotel. Everyone that we interacted with in person was professional and friendly. The greeter at the Skytrain exit who welcomed us, the door men, front desk staff, our dinner waiter and breakfast waitress at Champions, the chef who prepared our omelette at the breakfast buffet and the executive chef at breakfast all were warm and welcoming. What a great way for a visitor to be welcomed to a new destination. On Final Four weekend, the Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway was totally on its game. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

446 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I had an overnight connection passing through Atlanta, and decided to book a hotel rather than tough it out at the airport. The Marriott was ideal for that purpose. As I had arrived on an international flight, I took the free shuttle from Concourse F around to the Domestic Terminal to catch the free SkyTrain to the hotel. The shuttle driver was very helpful with my heavy bag, and once I got to the Domestic Terminal it was a short walk to reach the SkyTrain. A few minutes later I was at the hotel lobby. Fortunately, there is a covered walkway between the convention center SkyTrain stop and the Marriott, as it was raining.

The check in was very fast, and I was given a nice room overlooking the SkyTrain station. The room was well-appointed and quiet. The bed was comfortable and there were plenty of pillows. I like my bedroom cool, and within a few minutes of arriving and setting the thermostat down the room was quite comfortable and to my liking. They provide nice toiletries and all the essentials, and I got a good night's rest. I skipped breakfast because my flight was serving a meal.

Just for grins, I decided to pay attention to how long it took to get back to the airport in the morning. I realize this may have been biased because I'm an elite on Delta and am eligible for TSA Pre, but from the time I closed my room door to the time I sat down in the Delta lounge near my departing gate all of 23 minutes elapsed. The SkyTrain makes it trivial to get to the Domestic Terminal, and checkout at the hotel amounted to giving them my key and saying goodbye. It could not have been any easier.

All in all, this is exactly what I'm looking for in this situation - a hotel I can get to and from easily and quickly, and one that provides me with a comfortable room and a good night's sleep. It costs a bit more than some of the cheaper properties around the airport, but those characteristics made it worth another 40 bucks to me.

Room Tip: Get one on an upper floor if you can.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

This hotel is easily accessible by tram from the airport. The hotel itself is in excellent condition, and staff are well trained. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed. The shower had excellent water pressure. Elevators were quickly available. I would happily stay here again if my flight is cancelled.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

My husband had been out of the country on business for a few months and before returning back home to the dog, kids and the hustle and bustle of our daily lives I planned a weekend " staycation" for the two of us... After reviewing the location, pics and amenities on the site I chose the Marriott Convention Center. Such a beautiful hotel!! It was a wonderful experience from the time we drove up onto the property... The valet went over and above to assist with our luggage and any other needs. The lobby is gorgeous and beautifully decorated, very welcoming... The gentleman at the front desk who checked us in was very well spoken and very helpful!!! We decided to stay in for the evening and ordered room service, Great choice!! It arrived in under 30 minutes and was PLENTIFUL and DELICIOUS!!! We had the buffet breakfast which was also Delicious. A great selection of choices and really tasty food.. Our waitress, Ms. Taffy was very pleasant and made sure that our table stayed clear and our glasses stayed full... We would recommend this hotel to anyone that is in need of a good night sleep, great food, welcoming staff and the perfect location from the airport... We Love this hotel and have found our new " Staycation" hotel....

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor which was very quiet and not to far from the elevator...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Our family recently stayed one night at the Atlanta Marriott Gateway on an overnight layover. My goal was to make the travel portion of our trip to Grand Cayman as relaxing and stress free as possible. This choice was PERFECT! We arrived on a domestic flight arriving around 8 pm, easily located our checked bag, and walked out the nearby door-across the road- to the elevator that took us up to the SkyTrain station. The SkyTrain arrives every few minutes so there was no need to wait. It is an efficient method of transportation and we appreciated simply rolling on and 2 minutes later, rolling off at the first stop. The second stop is the rental car agencies. The Convention Center is near this hotel also and a Springhill Suites is across the street. The elevator takes you down to ground level. From there you turn immediately left, take a few steps to the sidewalk and turn left again and there is the hotel, a short walk to the front door. It is a closer walk than if you had parked a car near a hotel. The hotel staff immediately opened the door as we approached greeting us warmly, asking our name and directing us to the nearby registration desk where he introduced us. Again we were greeted and quickly registered in a very efficient, friendly and professional manner. The hotel lobby is of contemporary style and very chic. The design is well done and attractive providing visual separation for the bar area, a seating area and other requirements. Very nice! The elevator bank, adjacent to a water wall feature, briskly delivered us to our rooms. We quickly dropped off our belongings and headed back down to the lobby for dinner. The upscale sports bar themed restaurant was very nice. It was quiet and spacious with TVs everywhere but not in an intrusive way. The food was very good and service was professional and friendly. It did take an acceptable time to get the food so just plan to allow for that. The food is worth it. We had reserved connecting rooms to afford more privacy for our family. The rooms were very comfortable with high end linens and bedding. The beds were OUTSTANDING! The rooms were as requested and were just what we needed to get a great night's rest before an early morning flight. There was a mini fridge in each room that is standard. Although we were very near the busiest airport in the world, we didn't hear any airplane noise. Bathrooms were very nice and a large closet was an added bonus. Everything was spotless and in great working condition. We awoke the next morning refreshed and checked out as we walked by the front desk. The restaurant didn't open until 6:30 am which was a disappointment as we knew our airport breakfast could not compare with the great food at Champions. To summarize our impression, while in Grand Cayman, my son asked if there was any way we could change our direct flight home so we could again stay at the Marriott Gateway!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Kevin P, Manager at Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review. We take our guest's comments very seriously and we love to communicate and celebrate excellent reviews such as yours with the team. The ATL SkyTrain has been an outstanding attribute for our guests from the airport by providing a convenient means of transportation to the hotel. I'm glad that you had the opportunity to experience the hassle-free ride from the airport and the memorable service that we provide here at the Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway hotel. We look forward to seeing you during your next visit to Atlanta. Once again, thank you for your kind words!
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I have to say that I've stayed at some wonderful airport properties in other parts of the world, but this is the first one in the US. Marriott has done an excellent job with the design and layout of this hotel. It could easily be a JW. It's just that nice!

Ironically, this outstanding review comes in spite of the fact that they screwed up and assigned my room to another guest who walked in on me as I was changing clothes. But, there was no end to the apologies, complimentary dinner in the restaurant of my choice as well as comping the stay. So, to get a raving review in spite of this mixup is truly an accomplishment. I'd stay again in a heartbeat as I was not only impressed by the facility but the staff was outstanding in making amends for the mistake and embarrassment caused.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Edwards, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I picked this hotel because it seemed to be the closest to the airport. When you get off the train someone from the hotel greets you and takes your name. By the time you walk the short distance to the hotel you are greeted by name and all the paperwork is ready for you. The friendliest front desk I've ever experienced. The only negative is that you have to walk outside to get to the train and then again outside when you get off the train. While this may not usually be an issue the two times I stayed there it was cold and windy and really miserable to do the walk with my 93 year old father.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway? Share your experiences!