“Almost Died in Room 223” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Windsor Hotel Atlanta Airport South

You added Windsor Hotel Atlanta Airport South to your Saves list
Windsor Hotel Atlanta Airport South
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5010 Old National Highway, Atlanta, GA 30349 (Formerly Wyndham Garden Atlanta Airport South)   |
Ranked #143 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
“Almost Died in Room 223”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

My family -(3 children and 2 adults)- booked this room through Hotwire. Upon check in we knew this was not a quality hotel. The hotel professed to be smoke free but our room smelled like smoke and was located right in front of the "smoking balcony". We were going to check out due to allergies and the appearance but they changed our room to 223 which turned out to be a death trap. I passed out first in the bathroom and my 10 year old passed out! People we were traveling with us had to call EMS because the hotel didn't respond to the request. The fire department checked for carbon monoxide and it was positive for unsafe levels. The fire department asked the hotel manager to evacuate but we called back the next day and the staff had no idea what we were talking about. We all had varying degrees of carbon monoxide poisoning as evidenced by our blood work at the hospital and had to undergo oxygen treatments to bring To date we have not heard from the hotel manager or its representatives regarding our experience. IF YOU LOVE YOUR LIFE AND THOSE THAT YOU TRAVEL WITH- proceed with caution.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Columbia, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in April with my Daughter and Cousins (5 people), we were in town for a Sports event. We all became violently sick and had to be rushed to the hospital and found out we had Carbon Monoxide Poisoning. We could not find The Manager of the hotel and the staff showed no concern when we were being taken out by ambulance which one of the parents in our group had to insist that the staff call 911 for us. No one from the hotel called or came to the hospital to check on us. I had to call back to the hotel two days later to make sure that they did not assign the room we were in to an unsuspecting patron and found out the hotel was never evacuated and it was business as usually. The manager was not in that day either. However she did return my call after I insisted that she call me back. We were very disturbed by the lack of concern by the management and staff. We could have died and no one seemed to be concerned.This hotel is old and the rooms are in need of serious need of renovation, it is also in a sketchy area

Room Tip: Would not stay here.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Krystal S, Manager at Windsor Hotel Atlanta Airport South, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
This Hotel is now inn receivership, and the Receivership is doing everything to code and you will be treated special. There are several offers on the hotel, and all of them will be renovating the hotel completely. I would definitely try it out as it is very convenient to the airport with free shuttle service. Please call 805 377 3544 for any questions you may have.
Sunnyvale, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

First morning we were getting ready to leave for the day and the fire alarm goes off. Announcement was to evacuate and not use the elevator. We evacuated from the 6th floor. We encountered nobody else on the stairs and no emergency vehicles could be heard. I dialed 911 thinking some response was in order. They came and we left. That day our room was not made up. Someone ultimately came up and gave us new towels. Apparently the motor of the service elevator had burned out setting off the alarm and we were never in danger.

When we checked in no one bothered to tell us there was breakfast. We ate in our room the first morning. Breakfast was waffles, cereal, pastries, bagels without cream cheese, toast. One morning there was biscuits and gravy and sausage. One morning breakfast was just being set up at 9:00 a.m. by a substitute employee as the assigned employee overslept. Breakfast started at 6:30 a.m. each day so I would imagine that the assigned employee would show up at 6:00 a.m. to set up. Why not assign a replacement before 3 hours elapsed.

Initially I would call from the airport daily to request the shuttle. I was informed this wasn't necessary as the shuttle routinely left the hotel on the :15 and :45 of every hour. One day we were waiting for the 10:15 shuttle to leave with a pilot and by 10:30 it hadn't showed up. The pilot inquired at the desk as he had a flight scheduled and the clerk said he didn't have a cell
phone with him to call. He ultimately arrived after being pulled over in a traffic stop, Another night we arrived at the airport at 6:30 p.m. expecting to catch the shuttle that would arrive about & 7:00. It didn't come. We called at 7:30 and were told it was on its way. When it arrived we mentioned to the driver we had waited 1 hour. He said the vehicle was in the shop.
They should have rented a replacement vehicle instead of making people wait.

When I checked the website for hotel amenities, there was no mention of a microwave and refrig in our room. Had I known I would have packed differently. I did buy a gift certificate to the restaurant and restaurant.com to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday and it was closed.

Every night when we returned to our room, our key wouldn't work. We would have to go down 6 floors to have it rekeyed. The last night we just stopped at the desk and got it rekeyed before coming up

Room Tip: Try Spoons BBQ around the corner on the highway
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival, my colleague was immediately concerned with staying at this hotel. The appearance of the place from the highway is poor and dated. To say the least, this was one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed at and our rooms were complimentary (not as a result of the horrible stay). I would highly recommend, if it can be afforded, stay somewhere else. My room had dirty carpet with blood and semen stains next to either side of the bed. In addition, condoms were left in the room on top of the television. It was very evident the room needed some deep cleaning. The bedding was acceptable, but I hate to think people may pay to stay in this unsuitable place. My view from my room was of the empty poorly maintained pool area in mid June. Finally, the shower head was broken and I had to direct the water by hand in order wash myself. If I could rank this place any lower, I would. There is no sense in staying here despite its relatively close location to the airport.

• Stayed July 2012
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My stay at the Windsor Hotel was amazing.Carlos at the front desk needs to be the GM.I thought he owned the place.He did in his own way.Perfect addition to the hotel staff.Will recommend.Room was nice,bartender made good drinks,food was good,hotel clean,stayed previously,the change to the hotel was needed,will stay for weeks if need, well run establishment on the day i was there.The old reviews don't apply to this hotel now.Happy Guest.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

You get what you pay for. Needs updating. Good front desk service. Shuttle to airport every 1/2 hr. There was a lot of noise in the lobby on Saturday night and in the hallway. It was good that we were tiered.

• Stayed April 2013
Winston Salem, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

First, I'll start by saying I've tried for several days to get in touch with this hotel. The only email I could find is via gmail and the number does not get answered. Here is a letter I've been trying to send to them about a recent booking.

Recently, we booked a trip to your lovely hotel via BookIt.com which is typically user friendly, money saving and accommodating. Unfortunately, things went a bit awry this time. I’m trying my best to figure out where the ball was dropped and how things should have been handled differently. I write this query not just for myself but for my readers that follow my travel tips via a blog which includes reviews on hotel suggestions across the country.
After the fiasco we encountered in your lobby the weekend of April 5th, I have a feeling you are very familiar with challenges that your staff and travelers recently faced. Before I go further, I must say that the two ladies handling the front desk kept their composure well and maintained kindness while trying to help a mob of unhappy customers.
Here’s what happened:
1. Via BookIt.com, we arranged a room at the Windsor Hotel Airport South for a weekend getaway the morning of April 5th for that night through the 7th.
2. We arrived many hours later on the 5th and we’re told not only that your hotel was overbooked but that the heated pool was out of commission (which was 90% of the reason I selected the hotel). We were told that your company did not report that info to BookIt because it was assumed that the pool could be quickly fixed. That fact was somewhat irrelevant since the room we expected wasn’t available anyway.
3. After your greeters explained that the hotel was overbooked, they added that they had notified BookIt.com on April 5th not to reserve further nights for the weekend. There was an overwhelming amount of guests in the hotel lobby dealing with a similar situation as they had booked rooms via Orbitz, Hotwire etc. and had run into the same situation. With that knowledge, and the fact that the date of notice explained to me changed several times during our several hours of communication, I felt a bit suspicious as to whether or not a stop booking reached said multiple online companies.
4. I called BookIt.com and explained my situation and they clearly stated a cease on booking never occurred from your end and they could not help us with a plea to finally check into a comparable hotel. Nothing in the area had a similar price and due to whoever made the mistake, we were left stranded and exhausted in Atlanta without a room.
4. After several hours of negotiating and a few broken promises of following through with our request of a comparable hotel, your staff finally agreed to issue a letter for a ‘walk-in’ rate at a hotel far away. Although it was a lovely hotel and their staff was truly phenomenal, it required us to drive a half hour from the area we wished to stay, did not have a fridge, microwave, internet access, breakfast, double beds, shuttle service and several other of the only reasons I booked your hotel to begin with.
5. Our food spoiled, we paid way more in gas than we anticipated driving back and forth not only to the new hotel but to our destination during the weekend, spent $80 dollars extra on food, did not get to visit downtown Atlanta which was supposed to be one of the highlights of our trip and wasted incalculable time and energy of a small and rare weekend away.
I get that someone made a mistake. Be it Windsor or BookIt.com, I’m very saddened that someone didn’t step up appropriately to fix this and want to be very clear with my readers the next time I suggest companies that I feel I can trust. Since it’s currently, you said/they said, I’m not sure where the miscommunication occurred that threw our weekend into turmoil.
Although we adapted and made the best of it, I’m very disappointed that a rare weekend away became such an exasperating experience. We use our time and money wisely so that we may have fun moments like this. I expected more from a company such as yours.
Thank you for addressing this situation. I will be sure to communicate on the travel blog how it is handled. I know all intentions are good but I want to best advise my readers of my favorite places to book.

Andrea Everhart

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Windsor Hotel Atlanta Airport South? Share your experiences!