“Good hotel with one major fault” 3 of 5 stars

ATL Spring Rates from $79
Ranked #34 of 189 hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Georgia
“Good hotel with one major fault”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Well-appointed room though I would have liked a comfortable chair instead of a sofa-bench thing. Good fitness center in good order. Strangely dark-lit bathroom. Fortunately, I am a man and do not wear makeup. Could not imagine how difficult it would be to apply it in this room. Good coffee in the room (though I always wonder why Marriott makes me find an electrical outlet to plug it in).

The biggest fault of this facility is arrival. There are about six parking places on the street in front of the hotel and no drop-off area. I arrived in heavy rain, looking for check-in and dropoff, to no avail. Parked down the street and walked to the hotel in the rain. Was told valet parking is all there is. "Go around the block and maybe there will be space available when you come back." Finally got one and unloaded the car in the rain. Ridiculous setup. If you drive here, just be forewarned.

I feel a little nickel and dimed here.Among other things $15 for internet access always annoys me.

Overall a good hotel if you overlook the arrival/parking fault.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience here. In response, first please accept my sincere apology for the "arrival experience". We have worked hard with our valet team and will continue to do, the challenge on West Peachtree is exacerbated by rain and a "heavy" number of arrivals. No excuse though to being told to drive around the block. Thanks for the positive comments about the finess center and overall hotel--we do agree! We do have project/solution for lighting in some of our guest rooms and hope to complete that project this year. Internet charges does continue to be something I hear about from our guests with a high degree of frequency. The charge does allow for us to have proper bandwith (speed) to accomodate the needs of all of our guests and additionally we do have a much higher degree of security with our network than you would find in a location that offers free wireless. We do offer wireless for free in our restaurant and hotel lobby if you ever want to take advantage of that.

Thanks again for your comments-they are much appreciated.

323 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

Nice, newly remodeled hotel in a great location on Peachtree, close to GA Tech. Modern decor in lobby and in rooms. My hotel room carpet was somewhat dirty, and there were stains on the bed skirt. Screaming baby in room next door kept me up most of the night. Staff should be more alert to situations like this. Staff friendly and helpful. Catered food very good.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay. I am very appreciative of all the comments we receive. We have followed up on your comments and shared in our weekly guest satisfaction meeting as a learning opportunity.

We hope to see you again in the very near future.
Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Our group is doing a lot of meetings in Atlanta and the Renaissance in Midtown is or favorite. The free wine hour every after noon is a nice end to a long day of meetings. It is located near office spaces in midtown, several good restaurants, and the service is just great.

The people at the front desk do their best to help.
The bellman are some of the most polite and helpful that I have met.
The food at breakfast is fantastic and they will allow you to substitute almost anything if you don't want one of the items.

Their bar drinks are good and the bar tender is great with recommendations for restaurants.

The rooms are immaculate, the bathrooms are nothing short of designer, and the beds are very comfortable.

They also discount their rates if you have a group. We love this place

Room Tip: Any room is great.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Well how do you respond to a review like this one? The best way I know how is to simply say "thank you". Our team works very hard in every department to provide exactly the type of service you describe! I could not be more pleased and delighted to read these comments and to share them with our team. Thanks again--we look forward to your return!
Jasper, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

In general the hotel was attractive in a modern style appropriate for downtown Atlanta. However, after just returning from several days at the Battle House (another Renaissance Hotel) I was disappointed with this one in comparrison.
I made our reservations online and then called to confirm the type of room we would have. The website had said it could not quarantee a king size bed so I wanted to make that request in person and make sure they knew I have Elite Status with the rewards program. They assured me I would have a king bed and one of the better rooms at the price I was quoted online.
My husband checked us into the hotel and had been talked into upgrading the room to a "city view" for an additional fee. I felt the upsale was completely unwaranted because I knew we had a high floor and all of the views are good from there....the hotel in in midtown afterall. Most disappointing about that upgrade is that we ended up with a smaller room with two double beds.
The king size bed was really important to me because I know that my husband, my young son, and I can all sleep in one quite comfortably. With the two doubles my son and I had to share one bed and my husband took up the other.
That evening we were catching a performance at the Fox theater. I was planning to just walk but the concierge insisted we should just call for the courtesy car. We did and 15 minutes after the car was supposed to be there for us it still wasn't. Evidently there was traffic in another part of town and the driver was having trouble getting back. The concierge kept encouraging us to just wait...it would just be another 5 minutes. Running out of 5 minutes to wait, as it was getting very close to time for the show, we requested a cab. A car trip of less than 3/4 of a mile cost us $14 and a tip. Assuming we would never get the courtesy car to pick us up to take us back to the hotel, we walked. Luckily it was a pleasant night.
At other hotels I have stayed, the flat rate fee for the cab would have been reimbursed. No one made any attempt to compensate us in any way.
When we returned to our room for the evening I called to have some extra pillows delivered. I was told they would be brought up right away. I waited...and waited...and waited some more. The pillows never came. I called again and got the usual apologies and again an assurance that the pillows would be right there. I never received my pillows and did not sleep well because of it.
We stay in Atlanta several times every year. This was the first tiime I stayed at this particular hotel. My last stay was at the Courtyard downtown and I must say I had a far better experience.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Good afternoon and thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I was disappointed and dismayed to see that we failed to meet basic service requirements and that your stay was less than positive as a result. On more than one occasion we had an opportunity to make a positive impression and unfortunately we did not. I have personally followed up with our team of leaders and ambassadors in each of the departments and I offer you a sincere apology. I do know that you have many choices when you travel and I do hope that you consider us in the future. We do have a fairly consistent and positive track record of guest satisfaction and I am confident that is what you will experience.

Thank you again.
Springfield, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The hotel decor is very modern, with hip music playing in the lobby. My first Renaissance experience and I found it pleasant.

Midtown is a bit isolated, depending on what you're in Atlanta for. It is, however, just a couple of blocks from a MARTA station. If you are heading to/from the airport and have just a rolling bag, it's extremely cheap and convenient to use the train instead of a cab.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Good afternoon and thanks so much for taking time to provide us some much appreciated feedback . Our staff thrives on such feedback and we always find it helpful. Delighted to hear your first experience with a Renaissance hotel was a positive one-we are extremely proud of our hotel and the service we provide. We will look forward to seeing you again, here at the bit of a hidden gem in the heart of Midtown Atlanta.
north carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Start with the staff lying about giving us a corner room then finding out it was in the middle of the hall . Second strike against them was that food we brought and stored in the mini bar was taken out on our second day there so we were left without our meal. Food is quite expensive there. They won't allow you to park your own car or bring down your own luggage. Oh yes I found a used bandaid between the sheets and by that time I was over complaining. Hallways were loud all night with pastures in and out of rooms nearby. Overall a big disappointment and will not go back to this hotel ever again.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you so very much for providing feedback and comments about your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the challenges you experienced. I assure you that this is not the norm for our hotel. I have personally addressed the issues with our team and I am confident that these were/are isolated incidents. I do however realize that was not the case in your experience and truly hope you give us another opportunity to prove otherwise the next time your travels bring you to Atlanta. Thank you again for your comments.
Eltville am Rhein, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

The hotel is modern, a nice design and spacious room. Everything is just clean and in order, the staff very nice and supportive. Room breakfast order came by the minute. The gym has modern equipment and is large enough. The only thing to watch is the location. Downtown, shoppingcenters are some minutes away but the hotel in close to Georgia Tech and some a nice walking zone with shops is just around the corner.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Outstanding! Thanks so much for your comments. I was nothing short of delighted to hear how you enjoyed your stay. I have shared with our team of course and I certainly appreciate that you take the time to let us know. We hope to see you again in the very near future.

Been to Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel? Share your experiences!