“Not the best of the Renaissance Hotels I've stayed in” 3 of 5 stars

Earn a Free Night!
Ranked #14 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Jasper, Georgia
“Not the best of the Renaissance Hotels I've stayed in”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

In general the hotel was attractive in a modern style appropriate for downtown Atlanta. However, after just returning from several days at the Battle House (another Renaissance Hotel) I was disappointed with this one in comparrison.
I made our reservations online and then called to confirm the type of room we would have. The website had said it could not quarantee a king size bed so I wanted to make that request in person and make sure they knew I have Elite Status with the rewards program. They assured me I would have a king bed and one of the better rooms at the price I was quoted online.
My husband checked us into the hotel and had been talked into upgrading the room to a "city view" for an additional fee. I felt the upsale was completely unwaranted because I knew we had a high floor and all of the views are good from there....the hotel in in midtown afterall. Most disappointing about that upgrade is that we ended up with a smaller room with two double beds.
The king size bed was really important to me because I know that my husband, my young son, and I can all sleep in one quite comfortably. With the two doubles my son and I had to share one bed and my husband took up the other.
That evening we were catching a performance at the Fox theater. I was planning to just walk but the concierge insisted we should just call for the courtesy car. We did and 15 minutes after the car was supposed to be there for us it still wasn't. Evidently there was traffic in another part of town and the driver was having trouble getting back. The concierge kept encouraging us to just wait...it would just be another 5 minutes. Running out of 5 minutes to wait, as it was getting very close to time for the show, we requested a cab. A car trip of less than 3/4 of a mile cost us $14 and a tip. Assuming we would never get the courtesy car to pick us up to take us back to the hotel, we walked. Luckily it was a pleasant night.
At other hotels I have stayed, the flat rate fee for the cab would have been reimbursed. No one made any attempt to compensate us in any way.
When we returned to our room for the evening I called to have some extra pillows delivered. I was told they would be brought up right away. I waited...and waited...and waited some more. The pillows never came. I called again and got the usual apologies and again an assurance that the pillows would be right there. I never received my pillows and did not sleep well because of it.
We stay in Atlanta several times every year. This was the first tiime I stayed at this particular hotel. My last stay was at the Courtyard downtown and I must say I had a far better experience.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Good afternoon and thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I was disappointed and dismayed to see that we failed to meet basic service requirements and that your stay was less than positive as a result. On more than one occasion we had an opportunity to make a positive impression and unfortunately we did not. I have personally followed up with our team of leaders and ambassadors in each of the departments and I offer you a sincere apology. I do know that you have many choices when you travel and I do hope that you consider us in the future. We do have a fairly consistent and positive track record of guest satisfaction and I am confident that is what you will experience.

Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Springfield, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The hotel decor is very modern, with hip music playing in the lobby. My first Renaissance experience and I found it pleasant.

Midtown is a bit isolated, depending on what you're in Atlanta for. It is, however, just a couple of blocks from a MARTA station. If you are heading to/from the airport and have just a rolling bag, it's extremely cheap and convenient to use the train instead of a cab.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Good afternoon and thanks so much for taking time to provide us some much appreciated feedback . Our staff thrives on such feedback and we always find it helpful. Delighted to hear your first experience with a Renaissance hotel was a positive one-we are extremely proud of our hotel and the service we provide. We will look forward to seeing you again, here at the bit of a hidden gem in the heart of Midtown Atlanta.
north carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Start with the staff lying about giving us a corner room then finding out it was in the middle of the hall . Second strike against them was that food we brought and stored in the mini bar was taken out on our second day there so we were left without our meal. Food is quite expensive there. They won't allow you to park your own car or bring down your own luggage. Oh yes I found a used bandaid between the sheets and by that time I was over complaining. Hallways were loud all night with pastures in and out of rooms nearby. Overall a big disappointment and will not go back to this hotel ever again.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you so very much for providing feedback and comments about your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the challenges you experienced. I assure you that this is not the norm for our hotel. I have personally addressed the issues with our team and I am confident that these were/are isolated incidents. I do however realize that was not the case in your experience and truly hope you give us another opportunity to prove otherwise the next time your travels bring you to Atlanta. Thank you again for your comments.
Eltville am Rhein, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

The hotel is modern, a nice design and spacious room. Everything is just clean and in order, the staff very nice and supportive. Room breakfast order came by the minute. The gym has modern equipment and is large enough. The only thing to watch is the location. Downtown, shoppingcenters are some minutes away but the hotel in close to Georgia Tech and some a nice walking zone with shops is just around the corner.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Outstanding! Thanks so much for your comments. I was nothing short of delighted to hear how you enjoyed your stay. I have shared with our team of course and I certainly appreciate that you take the time to let us know. We hope to see you again in the very near future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

My first visit to this location..great hotel, very professional, clean and wonderful. The staff is great! I was very impressed and extremely satisfied. The location is prime for work or play. I would suggest this location to anyone visiting Atlanta.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I was absolutely delighted to read your comments and am so glad you had such a positive stay. We will certainly look forward to your return visit and soon.

Thanks again.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Really enjoyed the stay. Nice room an amenities. Pretty convenient to the park, Marta, tech and midtowne action. And I got a great deal ion Hotwire? Didn't check out much of the facilities but did hit the rooftop bar. It is on a lower roof so a little misleading, but great all the same

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review and post! Always appreciative of the feedback received-especially when you have good things to share-which I always do with our team! I was delighted to hear that you had a great stay, enjoyed the amenities we offer, the great location and on top of all that got a great deal!

We look forward to your next trip to Atlanta!
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I came to Atlanta for a conference on Georgia Tech's campus. This hotel was convenient to the campus but was also a nice retreat away from the swarm of engineers. The staff is very friendly and forward in recommendations outside of the in-house restaurant. I always value this as many concierge employees are pressed to recommend their own restaurants. (As a note, the restaurant here is very good.) The room was spacious and very modern. Definitely a fine representative of the Renaissance chain and what it is attempting to be and is accomplishing. Of the hotels in the midtown area, this is my favorite. Book it if you'll be in the area.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you, thank you, Thank you!!! I appreciate your comments, and was glad to hear that our staff was able to offer some great local recommendations, that is a cornerstone of the Renaissance brand (local area knowledge) as you well know. Thank you also for your comment about Briza and that it was a good choice as well (our hotel restaurant). I share the comments received with our staff and they love to hear all the positive comments! Look forward to seeing you again in 2013.

Been to Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel? Share your experiences!