“Very Good Location, Very Good Staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
ATL Summer Rates from $99
Ranked #20 of 189 hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Very Good Location, Very Good Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This was the second time I've stayed in this hotel. I was there 3 years ago when it was the Hotel Palomar, back then it was one of my favorite hotels.
While very little has changed, rooms are still very clean, and the staff is still very friendly, yet there is something here which keeps it from getting 5 stars.

This time the only room they had available was a handicap ready room. I found the shower difficult, it was a handle type, and it tended to spray wildly.

I also don't like paying extra for Wi-fi, or parking, at those prices it should be included with the room.
None of these things are deal breakers, but it would be nice if they were included.

It seems since the change to Renaissance, many of the little things that were packaged in the room, are now added on as extras.

But overall still a very nice Hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Good morning and thanks for returning to stay with us since our conversion to the Renaissance Atlanta Midtown hotel. I was delighted to see that you found our staff to still be friendly and that the hotel is still clean. We, of course, work very hard on both of these items. I was interested to see read that many of the "extras' since conversion were now add ons. I believe that we kept everything the same, but of course do understand your thoughts about internet and parking. We price according to the market and find that this is the norm in Midtown, Buckhead and Downtown. We look forward to your return visit and earning that 5th Star!

435 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Because this hotel is near my daughter's condo in midtown Atlanta, I have stayed here several times even before it became a Renaissance. There have been some changes from our last stay but we adjusted.

We spent five nights of our Thanksgiving trip here and the staff was kind. They kept us supplied with coffee so we could make it in our room in the am. Coffee in the lobby has been discontinued. They are continuing to offer the ice water with lemon in the lobby. We also were able to attend the wine tastings and appetizers served each afternoon at 5 pm. My husband really enjoyed the wine and visiting with the bartender as the happy hour was offered in the main floor restaurant/bar area.

We were also able to make room in the locked minibar to store some of favorite foods so we never without. Having Publix and CVS a block away was great.

The parking seemed kind of expensive at $30 but we were able to park at our daughter's condo ramp nearby in her friend's vacant spot.

Our 15th floor window had a view of the north Atlanta skyline plus the parking lot of the strip club. It was nice to see that there were closed for Thanksgiving but otherwise did a thriving business.

The room was clean, quiet and modern. There was free wifi in the lobby but accessing it in the room would incur a charge.

Room Tip: Try to get a high floor to enjoy the view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
I was delighted to read your review and I appreciate that you took time to let us know all about your stay! We do indeed enjoy having a tremendous staff and a great location. Thank you for your comment about parking, we do set the price based on the market and parking is at a premium in Midtown, if you choose or decide not to utilize valet parking here at the hotel there are a number of self park lots nearby, unfortunately they do not allow for in and out privileges. We will look forward to your return visit--until then enjoy the Holiday season.
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I will preface this review by saying I'm not your 'typical' traveler who would stay at a property such as this. Usually my bottom line for a hotel is cleanliness and service, which shouldn't matter if you are paying 99.00 or 599.00 for an overnight stay, there's never an excuse for a dirty room or bad service.

Luckily, this hotel sets a new benchmark for service. Please pardon that I did not write down the names of the employees, but everyone I encountered were friendly and always seemed as if they were truly interested in my comfort.

Check-in on 11/21 was a breeze thanks to the gentleman at the front desk. It was late, I traveled all day, and he smiled, welcomed me, and made me feel he was giving me the same level of attention if I were a business man in a 20K suite (keep in mind I'm wearing jeans and a t-shirt for driving comfort).

The room was stunning, modern but not overbearing. Colors were mute but very artistic, perfect lighting. The halls even smelt fresh... do you know how rare it is to have the hallways feeling clean?

Check-out the next morning 11/22 was also very easy, a very kind, all smiles young lady assisted and couldn't have been more helpful.

Due to unforseen circumstances, I ended up coming back on 11/22 with a new reservation (let's just say the evening would not be pleasant laying on a friends sofa post Thanksgiving dinner with five bottles of wine having been consumed by the group of us).

Check-in, once again easy. However this time I did come across what could be a pretty horrific housekeeping issue. I'll refrain from the details because the hotel offered everything to compensate for in the grand scheme of things wasn't an over-the-top deal, but if I had been a high-profile business person, this one issue could have been a disaster. But, as I mentioned, both the overnight clerk and the morning clerk did everything possible including offering another room, compesation, etc for the issue I experianced. I turned it all down because in my mindsight it wasn't the end of the world but the genuine apologies were enough for me.

Bottom line, I have reservations on 12/30 and I'm counting the days to cgo back to the Renaissance Atlanta Midtown! Thank you Marriott for bringing this gem into the Rewards program!

Room Tip: Request a corner room/high floor if possible
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Good afternoon and thank you for your comments. I was so glad to hear that not only did you find the hotel itself to be clean and nicely decorated, but that we were the Benchmark for service. Our team takes a lot of pride in delivering exceptional experiences and this is testament to that. Apologies are in order for the issue you had to deal with and I was also delighted to hear how well the staff responded and that you were indeed satisfied with their actions. We look forward to seeing you again later next month upon your return. Unitl then, "Live Life to Discover" as we say at Renaissance.
Greenville, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We planned a trip to Atlanta for the Chic-Fil-A Kick Off Game in August. Knowing that his was a busy weekend in Atlanta, we booked our rooms and PREPAID 3 months in advance. At the time of booking, we requested 3 double rooms as we had 12 guests coming into town for the night. Knowing that rooms would be scarce, we did not mind paying over $200/room for the night.

While driving into Atlanta on the day of check-in, I personally called the hotel to let the hotel staff know that we would be a late check in because kick off was not until 7PM. The staff was made aware that our arrival would be between 11:00-Midngiht. I also had the front desk staff verify with me over the phone that our reservation was for 3 double rooms. The staff told me they would note the account of our late arrival.

We arrived to the hotel at 11:30 PM, but when we went to the desk to check in the staff informed us that they only had king size rooms left. This was a huge issue because we had 12 people in our party. We were told by the staff that they could give us blankets and we could sleep the remaining people on the floor!!! For over $200 a night and you want us to sleep on the floor for a mistake that your staff made! We were not only traveling with a small child, but also with 3 active duty military and one wounded vet from Iraq and you are asking these people to pay to sleep on the floor!

The night staff at the hotel was very nice in the situation and I understood that they were doing the best with what little authority they had. The problem I have with the hotel and with Marriot as a chain is that we were forced to drive home at 2am because there was no way that 12 people were sleeping in 3 beds and they REFUSED to refund our money since they offered "alternative" sleeping arragements....

We called and spoke with many people in Marriot's corporate office and I was hung up with several times. I also called and spoke with the VP of Operations at the specific hotel in Atlanta, and he informed me that he held the rooms until 4PM and then realeased them to others. These rooms were already paid for and the hotel knew at 10AM that we would not check in until close to midnight!

I warned Marriot Corporate of my intentions to drop my Marriot Rewards account and have since joined Hilton Honors. My family and I are extensive travelers with many military memebers who we visit quite often. We are also devoted followers of our college football team and travel to all the away games. My experiences with the Hilton group hotels have been nothing short of excellent and I will continue to do my best to make sure that every traveler I encounter knows of how horribly not only this hotel but Marriot as a company treats its paying customers!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Good afternoon and thank you for your feedback regarding your reservation. I can certainly understand the frustration you experienced upon arrival to the hotel and would like to offer my sincere apologies on behalf of the entire staff. I will be brief as I know that we responded to this issue shortly afterwards, back in September through our internal Marriott customer care process. I know that you have many options and choices when choosing your lodging and do hope you will reconsider your decision.

Thank you again for your feedback.
CALABASAS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We had a pleasant stay at the Renaissance recently on a business trip--until we checked out. Up to then, the staff had been pleasant, both at the entrance (great, charming and welcoming young men in uniform) front desk staff and an excellent concierge. Being a long time Marriott Rewards member, the front desk said they would waive the internet charges.
When we checked out, the young lady at the front desk questioned, almost argued with me over these small fees, asking me who had authorized them. After a flight from LA two days before, I hardly remembered his name. That encounter, and starchy sheets, needs to change at this very nice hotel. Otherwise, we can stay elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Good afternoon. Thanks for staying with us and thank you for the specific feedback regarding your stay. I have personally followed up with our team and I am confident that the experience you describe was a one time occurence. Nevertheless, I share the same high expectations of exceptional customer service as you! We will be delighted to welcome you upon your return to Atlanta and to the Renaissance Atlanta Midtown. Please accept my personal apologies on behalf of the staff, I do appreciate your comments.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stayed at the Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel and hosted a meeting here. My check-in experience was flawless! The staff pays attention to details and is customer-service oriented. I travel for work every week, and they made me feel like I was at home. The hotel itself is clean, is efficiently run, and is in a convenient part of town. I would absolutely stay here again and host future meetings.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Good afternoon and thanks for your comments. I was absolutely delighted to read this and in fact shared this with our team in our Daily Rehearsal (meeting) this morning. I will indeed look forward to seeing you the next time!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

The Staff was accommodating, we had children with us, and needed a playard. The room was clean, and parking wasn't an issue, because we used the meters. Very cute boutique spot, catered toward the grownup crowd, but it worked for our family. Great stay overall.

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review and post your comments about your stay. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed it so much. We will look forward to your return visit.

Been to Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel? Share your experiences!