“Will NEVER stay at another Marriot Hotel again!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 190 Hotels in Atlanta
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Greenville, South Carolina
“Will NEVER stay at another Marriot Hotel again!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We planned a trip to Atlanta for the Chic-Fil-A Kick Off Game in August. Knowing that his was a busy weekend in Atlanta, we booked our rooms and PREPAID 3 months in advance. At the time of booking, we requested 3 double rooms as we had 12 guests coming into town for the night. Knowing that rooms would be scarce, we did not mind paying over $200/room for the night.

While driving into Atlanta on the day of check-in, I personally called the hotel to let the hotel staff know that we would be a late check in because kick off was not until 7PM. The staff was made aware that our arrival would be between 11:00-Midngiht. I also had the front desk staff verify with me over the phone that our reservation was for 3 double rooms. The staff told me they would note the account of our late arrival.

We arrived to the hotel at 11:30 PM, but when we went to the desk to check in the staff informed us that they only had king size rooms left. This was a huge issue because we had 12 people in our party. We were told by the staff that they could give us blankets and we could sleep the remaining people on the floor!!! For over $200 a night and you want us to sleep on the floor for a mistake that your staff made! We were not only traveling with a small child, but also with 3 active duty military and one wounded vet from Iraq and you are asking these people to pay to sleep on the floor!

The night staff at the hotel was very nice in the situation and I understood that they were doing the best with what little authority they had. The problem I have with the hotel and with Marriot as a chain is that we were forced to drive home at 2am because there was no way that 12 people were sleeping in 3 beds and they REFUSED to refund our money since they offered "alternative" sleeping arragements....

We called and spoke with many people in Marriot's corporate office and I was hung up with several times. I also called and spoke with the VP of Operations at the specific hotel in Atlanta, and he informed me that he held the rooms until 4PM and then realeased them to others. These rooms were already paid for and the hotel knew at 10AM that we would not check in until close to midnight!

I warned Marriot Corporate of my intentions to drop my Marriot Rewards account and have since joined Hilton Honors. My family and I are extensive travelers with many military memebers who we visit quite often. We are also devoted followers of our college football team and travel to all the away games. My experiences with the Hilton group hotels have been nothing short of excellent and I will continue to do my best to make sure that every traveler I encounter knows of how horribly not only this hotel but Marriot as a company treats its paying customers!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Good afternoon and thank you for your feedback regarding your reservation. I can certainly understand the frustration you experienced upon arrival to the hotel and would like to offer my sincere apologies on behalf of the entire staff. I will be brief as I know that we responded to this issue shortly afterwards, back in September through our internal Marriott customer care process. I know that you have many options and choices when choosing your lodging and do hope you will reconsider your decision.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
CALABASAS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We had a pleasant stay at the Renaissance recently on a business trip--until we checked out. Up to then, the staff had been pleasant, both at the entrance (great, charming and welcoming young men in uniform) front desk staff and an excellent concierge. Being a long time Marriott Rewards member, the front desk said they would waive the internet charges.
When we checked out, the young lady at the front desk questioned, almost argued with me over these small fees, asking me who had authorized them. After a flight from LA two days before, I hardly remembered his name. That encounter, and starchy sheets, needs to change at this very nice hotel. Otherwise, we can stay elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Good afternoon. Thanks for staying with us and thank you for the specific feedback regarding your stay. I have personally followed up with our team and I am confident that the experience you describe was a one time occurence. Nevertheless, I share the same high expectations of exceptional customer service as you! We will be delighted to welcome you upon your return to Atlanta and to the Renaissance Atlanta Midtown. Please accept my personal apologies on behalf of the staff, I do appreciate your comments.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stayed at the Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel and hosted a meeting here. My check-in experience was flawless! The staff pays attention to details and is customer-service oriented. I travel for work every week, and they made me feel like I was at home. The hotel itself is clean, is efficiently run, and is in a convenient part of town. I would absolutely stay here again and host future meetings.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Good afternoon and thanks for your comments. I was absolutely delighted to read this and in fact shared this with our team in our Daily Rehearsal (meeting) this morning. I will indeed look forward to seeing you the next time!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The Staff was accommodating, we had children with us, and needed a playard. The room was clean, and parking wasn't an issue, because we used the meters. Very cute boutique spot, catered toward the grownup crowd, but it worked for our family. Great stay overall.

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review and post your comments about your stay. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed it so much. We will look forward to your return visit.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

The location is perfect and I could get used to having men open the door for me! I would go for a run at peidmont park (1 mile away) and no matter what speed I was running when I came back that door was open and I was asked if I enjoyed my run. I think they were watching out for me!
The rooms are clean and spacious. The bar has the best home made potato chips. And even the banquet foot has flavor and variety. This was a perfect location for a business meeting. I only wish I had more time to spend here being pampered.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Hi. I absolutely loved the title of your review, "Treated like a lady". That's exactly what we aspire to deliver in terms of service! And I was glad to see we were spot on, and that you felt pampered. You of course are welcome to return anytime to get this same treatment!

Enjoy your day!
Dunwoody, Georgia, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

This property has surpassed the Georgian Terrace as my favorite place to stay for Georgia Tech events. My wife and I stayed here for Georgia Tech's Homecoming. We have stayed here several times before and the quality of the room and service has always been top notch.

The hotel is pet friendly but we can't tell that any pets stay in our room. They must have rooms set aside for the pets since every room we have stayed in is immaculate with no signs that a pet has stayed. And with animal allergies we would definitely know.

The rooms are very nice with comfortable beds and quiet HVAC. The TV features real high definition channels. Internet speed is good. My room had a computer in it that has a menu system for different services in the hotel, such as in room dining, restaurant hours and menu, nearby attractions and other hotel related items. Unfortunately the in room dining menu was not updated. I called for some room service and the item I wanted was not on the restaurant's menu but the gentleman on the phone went through the menu and handled our order very well. They always say it will be a 45 minute wait but our food always arrives in less than 30 minutes.

If you like great views, get a higher room. The south rooms face downtown and are slightly more expensive than rooms facing the north toward Buckhead. But the north rooms have great views too so pocket the money and take the north room (unless you can get a south facing room for the same price.)

There is no place to park your car so you have to valet or park at a nearby garage. Parking is around $30/day with valet. The wait for your car is not as bad as the Georgian Terrace, but its not great either. Usually its a 5-10 minute wait for your car. I have started parking at the Centergy lot located at the corner of Abercrombie Pl and Spring Street. It is only a little over 1 block walk from the hotel to the parking garage and its $10/day. So if you don't need your car often and don't mind walking you can save some money parking.

The rooftop bar is actually not on the roof. It is on the Terrace level (2nd floor) above the restaurant. It is outside but views are not that great with all the tall buildings surrounding this bar.

The restaurant is top notch with an excellent bar. I can highly recommend it for breakfast and dinner if you don't feel like venturing away from the hotel. But nice restaurants and bars are within walking distance from the hotel. Go south on W. Peachtree to 5th street and try the Barrelhouse for some simple bar type food. A cheaper bar than the hotel bar is located on the corner of Abercrombie and W. Peachtree with very friendly bartenders. Walk north on W. Peachtree to Steel for some very good food with an Japanese/Asian influence. Marlowes is another great place that people go to watch sports but has a very good selection of American type food. There are some other restaurants you can try next to Marlowes.

Bottom line - this is a great hotel located near Ga. Tech and within walking distance to some nice restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room for the better views. North facing rooms are usually a little cheaper. If pric...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Good afternoon and thanks for your review of the hotel. We are indeed the hotel to choose if you are attending anything related to GA Tech. I have shared your comments with the team, especially the one about our "top notch" service levels. I have addressed the IRD menu issue, sorry about that, but did want to be sure to follow up on that. Additionally, I appreciate your comment about the Suitelinq rooms and was glad to hear you liked that. We are conducting a trial and love to get feedback about that.

We'll look forward to welcoming you the next time you travel to Atlanta!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I enjoy staying here. Everything about this hotel is on point. The staff is fantastic. The rooms are impeccable.

I typically arrive late in the evening and order room service as soon as I get in. The kitchen is open late and much better than worrying about finding a nearby restaurant. I also appreciate that they still have wired Internet access in the rooms.

I probably stay at this hotel 6-8 times per year.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a PURE Allergy Friendly room. Best sleep I've had in months.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your feedback about our hotel. I, of course was delighted to read that you stay here often and that you have had such a great experience. The PURE rooms are everything you say, I could not agree more that it is indeed the best night's sleep I have had in a hotel room. We'll look forward to your next stay.

Until then....

Been to Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel? Share your experiences!