We planned a trip to Atlanta for the Chic-Fil-A Kick Off Game in August. Knowing that his was a busy weekend in Atlanta, we booked our rooms and PREPAID 3 months in advance. At the time of booking, we requested 3 double rooms as we had 12 guests coming into town for the night. Knowing that rooms would be scarce, we did not mind paying over $200/room for the night.
While driving into Atlanta on the day of check-in, I personally called the hotel to let the hotel staff know that we would be a late check in because kick off was not until 7PM. The staff was made aware that our arrival would be between 11:00-Midngiht. I also had the front desk staff verify with me over the phone that our reservation was for 3 double rooms. The staff told me they would note the account of our late arrival.
We arrived to the hotel at 11:30 PM, but when we went to the desk to check in the staff informed us that they only had king size rooms left. This was a huge issue because we had 12 people in our party. We were told by the staff that they could give us blankets and we could sleep the remaining people on the floor!!! For over $200 a night and you want us to sleep on the floor for a mistake that your staff made! We were not only traveling with a small child, but also with 3 active duty military and one wounded vet from Iraq and you are asking these people to pay to sleep on the floor!
The night staff at the hotel was very nice in the situation and I understood that they were doing the best with what little authority they had. The problem I have with the hotel and with Marriot as a chain is that we were forced to drive home at 2am because there was no way that 12 people were sleeping in 3 beds and they REFUSED to refund our money since they offered "alternative" sleeping arragements....
We called and spoke with many people in Marriot's corporate office and I was hung up with several times. I also called and spoke with the VP of Operations at the specific hotel in Atlanta, and he informed me that he held the rooms until 4PM and then realeased them to others. These rooms were already paid for and the hotel knew at 10AM that we would not check in until close to midnight!
I warned Marriot Corporate of my intentions to drop my Marriot Rewards account and have since joined Hilton Honors. My family and I are extensive travelers with many military memebers who we visit quite often. We are also devoted followers of our college football team and travel to all the away games. My experiences with the Hilton group hotels have been nothing short of excellent and I will continue to do my best to make sure that every traveler I encounter knows of how horribly not only this hotel but Marriot as a company treats its paying customers!
- Also Known As:
- Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel Atlanta
- Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel is a luxury boutique hotel centrally located in Atlanta’s Midtown neighborhood. This beautifully appointed Renaissance Hotel stylishly sets “Art in Motion” while surrounding you in comfort. Just blocks from the Georgia Tech campus, this sophisticated sanctuary is home to Briza Restaurant, and the Rooftop 866 lounge and easily accessible to popular destinations, like Centennial Olympic Park, Georgia Aquarium, CNN Center and the Georgia Dome. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Marriott, Travelocity, Expedia, Olotels, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Venere, Hotels.com, Tingo and HotelsClick so you can book your Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.