“Nice Property, Stellar Treatment of Marriott Rewards Elite Members” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel

Special Offer
ATL Summer Rates from $99
Ranked #27 of 188 hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Nice Property, Stellar Treatment of Marriott Rewards Elite Members”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed at this property for two nights on business, mid-week in October, 2012.

Arrived from the airport via MARTA and the hotel is a quick walk away - very convenient.

My flight arrived very early and my reservation was notated with a request for early check in (~11:30am). The hotel had my room ready upon arrival, noting that comment during the check in process.

While I was not upgraded - and am not sure if this hotel does upgrades or not - I was treated very well as Marriott Gold member. Free breakfast for two, WiFi, $10 mini-bar credit each day & 10% discount on food in the hotel restaurant were provided as my Elite benefits.

I dined at the hotel restaurant twice - once for breakfast & once for lunch - and had cocktails at the bar both nights of my stay. The food was very good and I think the price was appropriate for what was given. Service by all of the servers as well as the bartenders was very good. I would like to award special recognition to the bartender that was on duty the evening of 23 October 2012 as he did a very, very good job and should be commended.

The hotel has a wine tasting each night from 5-6pm and they put out small food items to go along with the wine each night.

I've found a very distinct trend that when hotels that consistenly respond to TA reviews my experiences there are top notch -- this property was no different. I normally stay in downtown Atlanta hotels 3-4 months out of the year but this gem of a property in midtown just won a good majority of my future business.

Keep up the excellent work!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Good morning and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. What a great review--not only because of the positive comments regarding the hotel and staff, but mostly because we will see you again upon your return. I was delighted to see that we were able to honor your request for an early check in (one of my priorities as a GM) and that we delighted you as a Marriott Rewards Elite member. We do indeed offer upgrades to our Elite members upon availablilty. We have been extremely busy during October (for that matter all year, especially mid week). I will personally reach out to the bartender for that evening, typically it is Sonny, who receives many positive comments. We look forward to your return visit.

382 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

Located close to Georgia Tech., this hotel is of a very high standard. Tastefully decorated in a modern style, the hotel and bedrooms are spacious, comfortable and clean. There are a few good restaurants nearby. Breakfast was very good, but quite expensive. Note that parking is valet only ($30/night) and Internet is $20/night. Friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed October 2012
Good morning and thank you for your comments about your stay. I was delighted to hear that it was so positive and that you enjoyed our friendly, helpful staff and that you described our guest rooms as decorated with style, spacious, comfortable and of course clean. We strive to achieve all of these descriptions each and every day with every guest. I truly appreciate you taking the time to share them.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

Nice bathrooms, very clean. I stayed for four nights for a business trip. The attached restaurant is a farm to table restaurant and it's delicious. I even had a nice view.

Aveda products too! The lighting in the bathrooms is weird though - there is a makeup mirror but it's pretty dark in there. Making it difficult to see your makeup.

• Stayed October 2012
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you so very much for sharing your experience here at our hotel. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay AND that you had a chance to experience Briza. We are very proud of the food and service quality that you recieve when dining in Briza. We are working hard on identifying a solution to the lighting issue you mention and we are optimistic that we have identified one potential solution.

thanks again.
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

The hotel is modern in decor, "fusion" music played in most all of the public areas, including the elevators and restrooms -- to the point where it became annoying. The check-in personnel were very nice and helpful and made us feel welcome.

The room was small with a small two seat padded bench with a back, really not condusive for two people to sit and talk or relax. There was a desk with a desk-top computer -- there was NO free internet service via the desktop nor wireless. I found it was best to pay the $4.95 per day tu access the wireless via my lap top.

After about an hour after we check-in, there was a knock on the door and an employee wanted access to the "mini-bar" to make sure it was stocked. Kinda strange -- shouldn't that be done before guests check in?? While there, I advised him of a burned out bulb; soon a maintenance employee showed up to replace the bulb.

Upon checking-out, I asked the front desk for info on the MARTA system as we needed to get to the airport. I was advised the MARTA system was not running that day, info I later found to be FALSE...as the doorman and valet drivers all said the trains would be running. We're glad we asked as the train service is great and cheap vs. a $40+ cab fare.

We ate in the hotel restaurant a couple of times, and found the food to be good, although a bit pricy. The adult beverages were also pricy, but expected in an upscale hotel.

The meeting space was adequate and furnished well, but nothing spectacular.

The real plus was the courtesy of the hotel's staff, aside from giving incorrect info about the public transportation service. This hotel is worthy of staying at again, but we will not seek out specifically should we come back to Atlanta.

Room Tip: We had a room with two "full sized" beds; the room was tight but reasonably adequate. The...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Good evening and thank you for staying with us! I was glad to read that our staff performed so well and that you not only felt welcome but that you described them as nice and helpful. Depending on the time of check in and the level of business it would not be abnormal for our Mini bar associates to knock on the door of an occupied room, although clearly our goal would be to get to all rooms prior to check in each and every day, sometimes that is just not possible. We would of course be delighted that when you return to Atlanta you make your decision to stay with us!

Thank you again for sharing your comments.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

We Stayed there two nights two adults four children in two rooms it was absolutely perfect Extremely clean ,great location close to the highway's ,staff was very nice and Professional,the best valet people hands down.Thank you very much.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you so very much for sharing your experience here at the Renaissance Atlanta Midtown. I was delighted to read your positive and absolutely glowing comments about our clean hotel, with a great location, nice staff and the best valet team-perfect was your word! Outstanding. I have shared this with our team and we do hope to see you again in the very near future.
Schertz, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

This was my first and last visit to this hotel. For the moment, I'll ignore the $30 valet-only parking. Instead, I'll focus on the room that I was given.

When I checked in, I was told that I had booked a room with a king bed, but the only king rooms available were accessible. I told them to give me a room with two double beds. Not what my husband (who I hadn't seen in two months) and I really wanted, but a minor inconvenience for the most part.

We didn't actually settle into our room until after 1 a.m. That's when we discovered that the toilet had stains on it. Not permanent stains like it was an old toilet. These were stains from something that had been wet on the toilet seat, and the longest was an interesting shade of brown.

It was so late, and we were so tired that I decided rather than call housekeeping or the front desk to request another room, I'd just hover in the bathroom and pray that the sheets on the bed at least were clean.

The next morning, there was a knock on our door at 9:30 a.m. It was a Sunday. Who knocks at 9:30 a.m. on a Sunday in a hotel? Apparently, at the Renaissance, housekeeping knocks at 9:30 a.m. on Sunday...to see if anyone is in the room. What? Don't they have a list of occupied rooms?

Next, we discovered that our double room only came with one towel. That's right, one towel in a room with two beds! I called housekeeping. Too bad they didn't drop off some more towels when they were knocking on our door at 9:30.

The final straw was the toothpaste that was part of the hotel-provided toiletries. The box looked a little crumpled, and when I opened it, I discovered a nice tube of used toothpaste!

Between the toilet, the towel and the toothpaste, I have to wonder if the room was cleaned at all after the prior occupant(s).

We complained to the front desk as were were checking out. We were assured by the front desk clerk that she would mention these issues to someone (in that voice people use when they have no real intentions of telling anyone anything).

We won't be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Good evening and thank you for sharing your experience. I was totally distressed as I am sure you were during your stay to hear of your challenges. I can certainly understand your frustration and of course would like to apologize on behalf of myself and our staff. If you read our reviews, you see that this is atypical, but nevertheless I have personally followed up with our department leadership to ensure these issues were addressed and will not recur. I do ask that you reconsider your comment to never return --I assure you that you will have a much better experience. I do hope that the next time you return to Atlanta you consider us.

Thanks again for taking the time to inform me of the details about your stay.
Central Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

The customer service seemed to slip when the business of last weekend. It was Family weekend for GA Tech and several weddings.

The hotel was modern and convenient--NO POOL.

Plenty of places to walk to--food/groceries/drinks/exercise.

We will return on future trips to GA Tech. We just hope the hotel doesn't over extend themselves with events/bookings.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Good morning and thank you for providing your feedback about your stay here at the Renaissance Atlanta midtown hotel. I was certainly delighted to hear of your return stay AND your intent to return again. We certainly were busy the weekend of your stay, but that should not preclude us from delivering exceptional guest service experiences. I have addressed this with our team and I remain confident you will have a delightful service experience when you return. See you then.

Been to Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel? Share your experiences!