“Dragon Con Stay: Nice Room, But Numerous Issues” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #109 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
Riverview, Florida
“Dragon Con Stay: Nice Room, But Numerous Issues”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Let me start off with the positive -- the W Midtown is a modern hotel with spacious, nicely furnished guest rooms; great bath amenities from Bliss (including face wash!); and numerous bars, restaurants, and attractions within walking distance. If your plans are primarily based in the Midtown area, this hotel could be a good choice. But if you're attending a multi-day event downtown (like Dragon Con), you may want to think twice about booking this hotel -- the first couple days of our stay proved to be a comedy of errors (only it wasn't very funny at the time). If you have the patience to slog through my full review -- the good, the bad, and the ugly -- read on...

We had initially tried to book a stay at the W Atlanta Downtown for Dragon Con 2013. My husband booked online at the same time as a friend of ours; our friend's reservation went through, while my husband was informed that his reservation was not accepted as there were no more rooms at the W Downtown...so he was offered a room at the W Midtown. Since this hotel is quite a distance from the convention area, he asked if a shuttle would be provided -- and when he was assured there would be, he went ahead and booked the room. We were planning to arrive the night Dragon Con registration opened (Thursday); the reservation agent said he could only book under the Dragon Con rate code for Friday - Sunday nights, but assured my husband he would give us the lowest rate for the Thursday night stay. As a result, we ended up with two separate reservations; and my husband didn't realize until check-in that he was charged $269/night (plus taxes) for Thursday night, when the Dragon Con rate was $195/night. An extra $74/night for the same room? Not a good way to start off our stay...

Our first impressions of the hotel itself were generally positive; the lobby has a funky, modern vibe, and check-in was fairly efficient. The desk clerk assured us we would have the same room our entire stay (despite the two separate reservations); she handed us our card keys in a sleeve that was clearly marked #1606, and a bellman escorted us to our room. Unfortunately, neither of our card keys worked; so the bellman let us in with his key, helped us settle in, and promised that he would have the keys reprogrammed and sent right back up. (And indeed, a few minutes later another staffer arrived with our new keys.) We were happy with the room, which continued the hotel's modern, funky vibe -- with black and charcoal furnishings and a few small splashes of colorful patterned wallpaper. (I've posted a few pics with this review.) I liked that they had a few types of pillows on the bed -- a foam pillow and a feather/down pillow on each side. Since I'm allergic to feathers/down, it was nice to have foam pillows already in the room. As with most hotels, the minibar items were ridiculously overpriced; but in addition to the pricey bottles of "designer" water, the W thoughtfully provided a complimentary 16.9 oz. bottle of Nestle PureLife water, and replenished it daily. (A welcome touch!)

We slept well that first night...until we were awakened the next morning by another guest repeatedly rattling our door and trying to get into our room. Apparently he had been assigned to our room and given a valid key; I'm just thankful we remembered to engage the safety locks before we went to bed. (Can you imagine having a stranger walk in on you while you're asleep?!) A few minutes later, we got a call from the front desk informing us that there wasn't supposed to be anyone in this room (#1606) -- when he looked us up, he informed us that they had us down for room #1605, but said he would transfer our reservation to the correct room. (That explains why our cards didn't work the previous day; but someone should have noticed and corrected the issue when our keys were reprogrammed and sent back up.)

The next unpleasant surprise occurred when my husband went to catch the shuttle to Dragon Con -- and discovered there was no shuttle. Instead, the W offers "free" rides in an Acura (subject to availability) in return for completing a survey. And while the driver did take him downtown that first morning, he informed my husband that they do not offer pickup service and would not be providing rides to Dragon Con the rest of the weekend because of the crowds/traffic. So instead of being able to walk or take a free shuttle to the convention events, we had to purchase MARTA passes to get back and forth during the day, and pay for taxis every evening after the trains stopped running. This added significantly to our expenses and commute time, and it's definitely something to consider if you'll be attending a conference or event downtown.

That evening (Friday), after a long day at the con and a sweaty walk back from the MARTA station, my husband stopped at the desk to ask a question about the room billing. While we were there, the clerk informed us that she needed to reprogram our keys (again) since we were now under the second reservation. (Huh?) When we finally arrived back at our room -- planning to grab a quick shower before heading back out -- we discovered that housekeeping had never serviced the room (even though we had both been out since mid-morning) and all of our towels were still wet. So we went back down to the desk; the clerk asked if we just wanted towels sent up, but my husband wanted the room cleaned (considering what we were paying and all we had already been through, he felt we deserved a clean room). So we headed to the lobby bar for overpriced drinks while we waited for the room to be serviced. We checked back after 30 minutes, but housekeeping was still working on the room. By the time we finally got back into our room, we were too tired to go out -- so our Friday night was a bust.

In light of all the disappointments and frustration we had experienced -- without anything more than a cursory apology from the desk clerks -- my husband sent an email to the hotel's GM the next morning outlining our experience. To the W's credit, he received a reply that same day (a Saturday); a member of hotel management responded with an apology, and said that he would apply one night's credit to our stay (alas, it wasn't for the more expensive Thursday night) and had deposited bonus Starwood points to my husband's account. He also said he would be available that day if my husband wanted to stop by and discuss the issues in person; but as we were downtown for the con all day, he didn't have an opportunity to do so.

The rest of our stay was (thankfully) rather uneventful; there were no further intrusions into our room, and housekeeping DID service the room the next couple of days. (Our only other minor complaint was that they never replenished the soap/shampoo/shower gel until we finally left a note the 3rd morning asking them to do so -- the small bottles quickly ran out as we had been taking showers twice a day.) Checkout went smoothly, and the valet staff was able to hail us a cab with almost no wait -- so we were quickly on our way to the airport once we checked out.

Overall, we liked the hotel and probably would have been perfectly happy here if our plans were focused on the Midtown area. We recognize that the hotel's reservation agent was the one responsible for the initial miscommunication (or outright lies?) regarding the Thursday night rate and shuttle availability, so we don't blame the on-site staff for that...though it did contribute to our dissatisfaction with the hotel, and the transportation issues negatively impacted our first Dragon Con experience. I'm still not sure how the hotel assigned another guest to a room that was already occupied; that could have resulted in a serious safety and security issue, though thankfully it didn't. And while we realize that housekeeping oversights can happen in a hotel of this size, other hotels we've stayed at have checks and balances to to avoid that (I've seen supervisors checking in on each room to ensure it's been properly serviced). We do appreciate the hotel's prompt response to my husband's emailed complaint; the credit they provided helped to offset the MARTA/taxi expenses and the $74 upcharge for our Thursday night stay. All in all, I'd say this is a good hotel that could be great if they're able to learn from/improve upon negative experiences like ours and avoid similar issues in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
WAtlantaMidtownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Hello Escriteur.
I apologize if this is a duplicate response. I responded to you last week but it doesn't seem to have gone through. Thank you for taking the time to send us your comments. We would love to speak to you in more detail as we are always looking to improve and make things better for our hotel guests. Please email us at GMWAtlanta.Midtown@WHotels.com. We look forward to hearing from you. All the best, W Atlanta-Midtown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

We had an amazing experience here during Music Midtown. Out thought was that it would be a bit loud but it was a quiet oasis in our room. We had an amazing time and look forward to our return. Thanks again Brittany!

• Stayed September 2013
WAtlantaMidtownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Hello FakeMrWarhol.
Thank you for the awesome feedback! We are so thrilled you had a great experience at our hotel and look forward to having you stay with us again. All the best, W Atlanta-Midtown
Marietta, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Our first night at the W was on Friday, September 20, 2013. We checked in and had our room on the 11th floor. We went to music mid town and came back to the hotel. It was late around 10:30 PM. I tried to sleep but the band playing in the W's nightclub had an after hour party and it was so loud I could not sleep. I finally got up and put ear plugs in that I travel with. The band was so loud it easily took me hours to fall asleep. Then early the next Morning at 7:00 AM we were awoken to the band practicing for Saturday night. I live in Marietta, about 30 minutes from the hotel so I went home to sleep, because I possibly had 4 hours of sleep on Friday night.

At this point I called the W and complained. Vanessa who works for the W spoke to me and promised she would resolve the situation and put us in a room higher up and on the other side of the building. Within hours she telephoned us and told us our room on the 14th floor was ready and would we like a bottle of wine to accept the inconvenience. She was an angel. We changed rooms and after music mid town ended, we went back to our room and easily slept 8 + hours with absolutely no noise. Her wonderful attentiveness and ability to fix the problem was amazing. I will definitely stay at the W at mid town again and refer it to my friends and family. Also, Vanessa is such a wonderful asset to W, we want to personally thank her for her above and beyond customer service. You are the best Vanessa!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Hello JanineW.
Thank you for your comments. We are thrilled you enjoyed our hotel and do apologize for the loud music during your stay. W Atlanta-Midtown is very proud of our team (and of course Vanessa) and we will certainly share this with her, We look forward to having you stay with us again soon!
All the best, W Atlanta-Midtown
Minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I was here for a conference. The conference room facilities were quite good, but the hotel itself tries too hard to be hip. Everything is darkly lit like a nightclub, especially the hallways and the rooms. I would agree with some of the other reviewers that the hotel looks a bit worn. Housekeeping was not the best - very late one day, inconsistent the next. Staff was good - friendly and for the most part accommodating.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hello Shimi002.
Thank you for taking the time to write such an informative review. We do hate your experience wasn't a perfect one and have shared your comments with our team members. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you are back in Atlanta. GMWAtlanta.Midtown@WHotels.com. We would love to have stay with us again. Take care.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I've stayed at several W Hotels. Either this is the worst of the batch or the novelty has grown stale, or possibly both.

The hotel and the room are dimly lit. Perhaps it makes it harder for the maintenance staff to see and correct areas of disrepair. Maybe it just makes it easier to ignore. It's probably easier than closing your eyes to the problem. Yet, even in the dim lighting characteristic of the chain, this particular property is a little worn and in need of maintenance. The corners of my room had not been vacuumed. The area around the bathroom door was particularly gross. The ceiling had black marks on it. In no particular order, here are the other problems I experienced:

1. Maid service did not come during my 3 day/2 night stay, with one exception. The maid inexplicably came by at about 6:30pm on the first evening, an hour or so after I checked in while I was napping, after a long flight.

2. I wonder about security. I had two people try my door while I was in the room, one at about 10pm and another at about 3:30am. The one in the middle of the night was particularly aggressively jiggling the door handle. Perhaps they were just guests who, because of the dim hallway lighting, combined with the fact that some door number signs were missing, had a hard time finding their room.

3. Ventilation system randomly blew very cold. I was constantly adjusting the temperature through a wide range, just to try to keep it from becoming mostly too cold. The thermostat wouldn't just maintain a constant temperature or fan speed.

4. There were no extra blankets, a minimum number of towels, a single bar of soap, and, as noted, the maid never came to restock these items.

5. The meeting rooms had a cheap, sterile feel. They could have taken some of the W brand's excessively quirky and cutesy stuff from the guest rooms and sprinkled it around these rooms to soften their 1970's harsh fluorescent feel. The audio systems in those rooms were poor--and combined with the constant din of the hipster Muzak always in the background everywhere in the building, made it hard to hear. The AV setup worked, but things like batteries on the remote control/laser pointer were dead and no one was around to fix it.

6. The plumbing fixtures (Kohler brand) were chosen for style over function. Flushing the toilets didn't fully clear the contents. Water easily splashes out of the sinks onto the counter. The shower head was mounted on the ceiling, which means you get your hair and face wet continuously, whether you like it or not.

7. Finally, I was charged for minibar items that I didn't consume. Strangely, these charges did not appear until a day after I checked out, when I received an updated statement by email. I called to try to correct them but was told that I had to call back during business hours and speak to the accounting department.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hello Elastopathy.
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We were certainly disappointed to hear you had such an unpleasant experience. Your comments and feedback have been shared with the hotel team. We would love to have an opportunity to earn your confidence back on a future visit. Please let us know if that is something you would have interest in doing. You can reach us at GMWAtlanta.Midtown@WHotels.com. We hope to hear from you. All the best, W Atlanta-Midtown
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

My stay at the W wasn't remarkable except for the low lighting and poorly maintained room. Upon checking in I was given a room that had missing bathroom tiles, ripped off the wall light at the makeup mirror, and stained sofa. The bathroom door looked like it had never been wiped down and I didn't want to touch it. The hotel is a party hotel pure and simple. If that's important to you, then this is your property. If being in a cool, hip place is what you want, then you're in the thick of it, plus the service is quite good.

The ripped out tiles in the bathroom were bothering me, so I asked to be moved to another room and was placed by a noisy elevator, so I asked for another and was placed in a smoking room. My bellman, who was wonderful, called the desk and asked for a quiet double. The rooms got better with each floor up. My neighbors were noisy at 4 am, but a call to the desk got them quiet. I was here for a conference and if it weren't for that, this wouldn't be my pick mostly because of the wear and tear, the party atmosphere and the insanely low lighting. I know a lot of people like W's, but it's not my kind of property, hence the average rating.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor with double beds if a low floor king is the only option