“Great Hotel in a great area” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #109 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
“Great Hotel in a great area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

The W Midtown was our midway stop on a 10 day roadtrip. Being from Canada, our perception of Atlanta was rather negative, and we opted to spend more money for a well-known hotel. It was definitely a great choice for us to do so. The W Midtown is like any other W - trendy, upbeat, modern, and clean. The room was beautiful with an awesome bathroom, tons of mirrors (which for 3 girls sharing a room was actually quite handy), and super comfortable beds. I'm not sure why other reviews are saying their rooms were bad, because ours was perfect, as far as hotel rooms go. We had a lot of fun in the hotel bar at night time. The location was great - I can't say enough about the Midtown area - it was way beyond our expectations in terms of street cleanliness. Clearly an affluent tourist area. We were close to some cool attractions like the Margaret Mitchell House and only a short drive to the Atlanta History Centre. My only issue with Atlanta (not the hotel) is that the city is seriously lacking in taxis - give yourself extra wait time if calling a cab to the hotel. The girl we spoke with at check-in was absolutely lovely with excellent customer service skills. I wish I remembered her name (she was working in the evening on Friday Aug 2nd).

TIP #1 - PARKING COSTS $30/NIGHT. If you haven't stayed in Atlanta before beware - this caught us off guard and ended up being an extra $60 that we hadn't anticipated spending. However that does give you as many ins-and-outs as you require with the valet service. It apparently costs you more to park yourself. Just beware.

We also incurred $20 a night in taxes/occupancy fees.

TIP #2 - from my own experience, and from speaking with others who have stayed at W's in other cities - watch the charges on your folio. I guess the shelving/bar unit/mini fridges have weight sensors on them, and if you move anything it triggers the computer system to bill your room for that item. We moved all of the liquor out of the frige and moved the food on the shelves to make room for our stuff, and we were billed for a candy bar and one of the beverages ($30 total). A quick email to the hotel cleared that up though, as it was an honest mistake. Just be wary of it if you stay at a W.

In all, great hotel, great area, good service!

Room Tip: Standard room is a King, which we had booked intentionally to share, but we just asked if there were...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
WAtlantaMidtownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Sunshine dmg,
Thank you for your review. We were happy to hear your experience at the hotel was a good one! Parking prices in the city can certainly be surprising but we take pride knowing ours is cheaper than other hotels. That being said, you are correct it is cheaper than parking in the attached parking deck and much more easy to get in and out privileges. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Atlanta. All the best, W Atlanta-Midtown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

All in all its not a bad hotel. I travel for business so I'm used to a bit of service in hotels. The service provided at what seems to all W hotels worldwide now is party central. What made me think this is a party hotel? Perhaps the marijuana smell in the halls, the cops breaking up fights out front and the scantily clad drunk girls looking for fun. Granted it was on a Saturday but still... Needing to show the cops your room key to even get near the premises is, well, bad.

Overall the rooms are average. Not very good. Beds are comfortable and there are nice views. The internet is a bit on on the slow end but it works. There are good restaurants around the hotel and I suggest you get out and find them, staying away from the party that is the W.

Summary: go here for a party and a good time. Dont go with kids or if you are on business.

Room Tip: away from elevators.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
WAtlantaMidtownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Hello AgileTraveler,
Thank you for your review -- We sincerely apologize for the negative experiences you encountered; we pride ourselves on exceeding every guests expectations and we regret that we failed with you. When you have a moment, would you please email us so we can discuss your stay and make it right: GMWAtlanta.Midtown@whotels.com. We hope to speak with you soon.
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I considered W-brand to be luxury, at least before I stayed at W Atlanta Midtown. The lobby, pool and general surroundings are fancy, but the room itself is worn down. Old walls covered with silver, broken furniture and bed full of sticky feathers.
No breakfast buffet (at least on Sunday).

Room Tip: Higher rooms have less street noice (I stayed on the 7th floor on the entrance side - not too good).
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Susqi,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are sorry to hear we did not execute with distinction during your visit. We would love to speak with you directly and try and rectify the shortcomings. Please email us at GMWAtlanta.Midtown@whotels.com. We look forward to personally working with you. All the best, W Atlanta Midtown
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed here for a week in June 2013. As I was on a business trip, left the hotel quite early in the morning and came back early evening. The room was a decent size with comfortable bed and pillows. There were several lighting storms when I was in Atlanta and I got to see a fantastic lighting show (freaky!) thanks to the floor-to-ceiling windows in the room. Despite my room being located next to the elevators, there were no noise disturbances.

I did find the lighting in the lobby very dim and the music in the elevators quite loud (after 7pm).

I also opted for the "green" option i.e. housekeeping services every 2-3 days which was fine with me and in return got free points on my Starwood card.

The nearest metro stop and pharmacy is an easy 10 min walk from the hotel. There's a nice Thai restaurant around the corner from the hotel and there are several restaurant nearby.

I also enjoyed 2 spa treatments at Bliss spa located within the hotel...nice to just pop into the elevator to go back to my room after the spa session...very relaxing!

On the down side, the breakfast didn't change much during my stay...and I got tired of the same spread.

All in all, it was a nice stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Travelgroove,
Glad to hear you had a great stay with us and we look forward to seeing you back again soon! All the best, W Atlanta-Midtown
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

This hotel is average at best. Good location, seriously let down by the house keeping services. You should consider yourself lucky if the shower gels and other so called "Bliss" products are replenished (these are obviously in scarce supply as I've had to call down for more - after my 4th day I am out). The room is also dusty and one of the light fittings is broken with open cables exposed - pretty shabby. Writing this from my room - it is Sunday evening and my room has still not been cleaned - I've had to ask twice, lets see if they get to it before I want to go to bed!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hello DavidW,
We feel terrible about the Style issues and would love to speak with you personally. Please email us at GMWAtlanta.Midtown@whotels.com so we can personally assist you. We look forward to hearing from you.
All the best, W Atlanta Midtown
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the W Atlanta Midtown for our Anniversary Weekend. The best feature of this hotel is its location. There are multiple restaurants and club/lounges in walking distance which is great. Parking fees were around $30 a night and internet access was also extra. The rooms were okay, but not great. The adjoining door, connecting our room to the next, had a broken lock. This did not make us feel very comfortable. When first checking in, I was told that we could receive a late checkout. Unfortunately, the front desk changed their original decision on the last day. Due to the large amount of guests at the hotel, we had to wait almost 25 to 30 minutes before we could catch an elevator. An average stay that could have been a lot better.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JNev1914,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We were certainly disappointed to hear you had such an unpleasant experience for your anniversary. We would love to respond to you personally in the hopes of rectifying your stay with us. Please email me directly @ GMWatlanta.Midtown@whotels.com so we may try to properly assist you. We look forward to hearing from you. All the best, W Atlanta-Midtown
Madison, Georgia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We have always enjoyed W hotels, but the trendier and more popular they become the more young partiers are attracted to it. This one is no different. We have stayed here before and problem appears to be getting worse. The whole hotel is like a nightclub and the party goes to the rooms when clubs close. Had to call desk to try and stop the 4am party across hall. Didn't work, they stayed up laughing and yelling till 6am, which meant I didn't need wakeup call. We will try the Loews hotel next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
WAtlantaMidtownGM, Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Hello Keith D,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We were certainly disappointed to hear you had such an unpleasant experience. Your comments and feedback have been shared with the hotel team. We would love to have an opportunity to earn your confidence back on a future visit. Please let us know if that is something you would have interest in doing. You can reach us at GM@Watlantamidtown.com. We hope to hear from you. All the best, W Atlanta Midtown

Been to W Atlanta Midtown? Share your experiences!