“Location, location, location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #128 of 191 Hotels in Atlanta
Atlanta, Georgia
“Location, location, location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

The W in Midtown is in a PERFECT location. It's walkable to a lot of the bars and restaurants in Midtown, and relatively easily accessible from I75-I85. There is a complimentary shuttle provided by Acura that gets you within a small radius of the hotel too. MARTA is a few block walk.

My last review is largely unchanged a few years later. The lobby is part nightclub, part business, which actually works quite well for the clientele typically attracted to a W. Checkin can be a hit or miss experience, and completely depends on the time of day. I didn't see a SPG Preferred line, which was a little odd. The SPG Gold upgrade to a high floor room is great, and the views from the property (Buckhead or Downtown/Piedmont Park) are great. I'd go ahead and ask for the even numbered room and look out over Piedmont Park/Downtown, personally.

The rooms are adequate. It can be hard to find light switches in the dark, and the plug situation away from the desk is a little weird. Weird too is the iPod dock that doesn't charge an iDevice. The room condition was good.

My big beef with the property is the valet. Either they are understaffed, or they don't properly train their staff. After a long flight, I had to wait 15 minutes to park my car - the manager was profusely apologetic and did what she could to make it right for me. Throughout the weekend, it was a mixed bag - sometimes super efficient, and sometimes painfully and annoyingly slow. There was no rhyme or reason - and watching the valet manager stand there and pose as opposed to do something to keep the line moving was frustrating. The valet line overtakes the entire driveway, so even coming back in a taxi could be a problem.

Overall, the property location is fantastic and the rooms are quite good. Little hiccups would be easily fixed with staffing and coaching.

Room Tip: Ask for the end of the hall on the even side of the hotel. Quiet and overlooking Piedmont Park.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
W-ATL-Midtown, Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear "PHXJeremy,"

Thank you for your review -- we're glad to see you again! We agree that our location can't be beat, and thrilled you took advantage of our Acura Experience. We apologize that you were disappointed in some ways, however. We will use your criticisms to improve.

We hope to see you again soon.

Take care,

W Atlanta - Midtown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

I understand the concept of the W being modern. It's not my style, but I get it. Unfortunately, at this hotel "modern" translates into dark rooms with no plugs and weird designs like a glass shower that is directly beside the bedroom. Since when does modern equal peepshow? I seriously don't get that. My room was clean, but not really functional. The walls are very thin and I could hear conversations on one side of my room and a full-on party on the other. The clientele was young and loud and reminded me of a Spring Break environment...in the middle of February. If you are going to Atlanta to blow off steam and don't care if you get any sleep, this is the hotel for you. Otherwise, it is probably not. I personally like to leave the bar and retire to my room, not feel like I'm going to a private room inside the bar to sleep. I would never, under any circumstances, consider bringing my children to this hotel. For that matter, I will likely never return myself.

• Stayed February 2013
W-ATL-Midtown, Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear "Threegirlsonthego,"

Thank you for your review -- we are sorry that you were disappointed in our hotel. While many guests love our decor and design, we understand and appreciate that it is not everyone's ideal. We do hope you'll give us another try the next time you're in Atlanta.

Kingston, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I recently visited this hotel as part of a group looking for a conference site. As you enter the hotel you will get the sense that this is a hotel that wants to be considered a modern luxury hotel. It also attempts to look quite modern. The top floor provides a fantastic view of the city and outlying areas of Atlanta. I would not classify it as a luxury hotel though. The rooms are well appointed but there are signs of aging. Ultimately, I am not sure how this hotel wants to classify itself. This may explain the very competitive hotel rates at the hotel, much lower than expected for most W hotels in other locations. The location is an easy walk to the MARTA system, Piedmont park, the art gallery and restaurants.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear "Don_K_Kingston,"

Thank you for your review -- we are deeply sorry that we didn't meet your expectations. Thank you for your compliments of the views from our 27th floor ballroom, well-appointed rooms and location. We do hope you'll give us another try for your next overnight stay or conference.

delhi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Well appointed good size room, very good front desk staff, good restaurants with few good eating optins around.

The asian restaurant is quite good and it;s menu is available for in room dining as well so have a good choice though timing seems to be restrictive.

Room Tip: check with front desk staff
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
W-ATL-Midtown, Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear "sanjay s,"

Thank you for your review -- we're so pleased you enjoyed your stay, our location and Spice Market restaurant.

We hope you'll stay with us again the next time you're in Atlanta.

Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

They focus way too much on mood lighting and ultra-modern decor, and not enough on engineering. The pipes knocked all day and all night. Sure, they offered me another room, but who wants the hassle of moving once you've settled in after a long day of travel or business? If I closed the bathroom door, it wasn't so loud that I couldn't sleep, so I tolerated it. Some form of comp would have been nice, for my inconvenience. I'd expect noisy pipes at a Super 8, but not a luxury hotel.

The room was so dark that I couldn't see well enough to put makeup on. The room decor was cool and interesting, but an open shower with no door or curtain just feels weird to me.

Would not be a suitable hotel for a family trip. Feels like a trendy night club.

Room Tip: I was in room 905 and, apparently, no one else complained about noisy pipes. (sure) Avoid room 905.
Dear "tsterling,"

Thank you for your review -- I am deeply sorry for your negative experience here. While many people enjoy our decor and lighting, we understand and appreciate that it's not everyone's ideal. We've noted the noise you experienced in your room and will address it -- thank you for alerting us. If you would like to discuss any of your issues further, please feel free to email me at your convenience: GMWAtlanta.Midtown@whotels.com.

We do hope you'll give us another try the next time you're in Atlanta.

Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed at this hotel recently on business because it was the official conference hotel. This was my first experience with a W Hotel.

I want to state upfront that there was nothing substantially wrong with this hotel or my stay. However, for a hotel that bills itself as a luxury hotel, I was definitely underwhelmed.

For me, it's all about the details. I noticed lots of little upkeep issues in my room- chipped paint, discolored sheets, etc. As far as design goes, they seemed to focus on form over function. One example would be the shower. Instead of doors, it has a glass wall enclosing 1/2 the shower leaving the other half open with no curtain or door. All the steam escaped from the shower leaving me cold and the mirror completely fogged over.

I spent most of my time in the hotel at the conference but the location seems to be convenient. It's a walkable distance from the Arts Center MARTA train station. There are plenty of dining options nearby. There appear to be a wide selection of mid priced to upscale restaurants within walking distance. The hotel is connected to Colony Square which hosts a variety of fast food restaurants: Chic-Fil-A, Starbucks, Moes, etc.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear "JustMe985,"

Thank you for your review -- we're sorry that your experience was underwhelming and that we disappointed you with some details. While many people enjoy our design and things like the showers, we understand and appreciate that it's not everyone's ideal. That said, we're always disappointed to hear that someone had a negative experience. We are glad that you enjoyed our location in Midtown Atlanta.

We hope you'll give us another try the next time you're in Atlanta,

Take care,

Jacksonville Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Definitely not up to the standard that I've experienced at other W's. Customer service was ok, but not great. Food was ok, but not great. Rooms were ok, but not great. Nothing was GREAT. In fact as we left our room for meetings at 7:45am we noticed several room service trays outside in the hallway, never a pleasant site and when we returned at 1:00pm the trays were still there and beginning to smell. I've stayed in the area before at another chain and will probably go back to that one after this experience.

Dear "mlhover,"

Thank you for your review -- we sincerely apologize for disappointing you. We do hope you'll give us another try the next time you're in Atlanta.

If you would like to share any additional details about your experience here, please feel free to email me at your convenience: GMWAtlanta.Midtown@whotels.com.