“Great hotel, terrible bedding” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #97 of 188 hotels in Atlanta
Southfield, Michigan
“Great hotel, terrible bedding”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

The hotel is great. The staff is great. The most uncomfortable bedding i have ever had. They need to upgrade their bedding desperately. I was told by the housekeeping staff that the W hotels have the minimum standard in all of their bedding. The mattress pads are so uncomfortable they should be removed and burned.

Room Tip: Don't stay here until they upgrade their bedding.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
W-ATL-Midtown, Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear "777rose,"

Thank you for your review -- we appreciate your compliments of our team and hotel, but are deeply sorry for your experience with bedding. The comments regarding our bedding are disappointing -- so many guests love our beds (so much so that W sells the full bed in our online store -- mattress, sheets, pillows and all). If you have a moment, I would love to discuss your stay with you and make it right -- when you have a moment, please email me at GMWAtlanta.Midtown@whotels.com.

I sincerely hope you'll try W again. And thank you again for your review.

699 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Scranton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Did you ever feel like you were the uncool kid and somehow you got invited to the super-cool kid party? That's how I feel at W's. I try to hang with the hip crowd but deep down I just want your basic, stuffy "business" hotel! I don't want to have to worry if my outfit is hip enough for the meeting I had to attend. I'm joking here but you get the idea!!
The food at the meeting excellent and very creatively themed. The staff was very friendly and the room was clean.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
W-ATL-Midtown, Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear "hotelpro18411,"

Thank you for your review and the chuckle -- regardless of your outfit (which I'm sure was plenty hip), it's undeniable that you have a great sense of humor. Thank you again for staying with us and the kind compliments of our food and service.

We hope you'll stay with us again soon.

Take care,

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

I have a mixed feeling after my stay here.

Things that went wrong:

- arrived after a 30 hour fligt and was welcomed and helped by 2 arrogant and unhelpful front desk employees
- i waited 3 hours for my room as frontsesk employees couldn't care less. Even after i explained that i just had a 30 hour flight.
- had to pay 35 usd to make use of sauna (even as a platinum member)
- my laundry next day was not delivered ontime and was promised every 30 minutes to arrive within the next 30 minutes a d that lasted 4 hours - which resulted in me missing my meeting because i couldnt leave without my laundry.

What was done about it:

- tamara the manager on duty solved every problem within minutes, my lunch was compensated, didnt pay for laundry and hotel paid for taxi that brought me to next hotel. I also got compensated with extra spg points.

Why i leave with mixed feelings is because i felt like i was not taken care of and constantly was promised something which didn't happen. The sunny side was that Tamara knew how to solve it and changed my mood from being grumpy to being happy again, that's a skill that not many people have and this hotel should be happy to have her. In contrary to that the 2 ladies who were on duty when i arrived did not give me te same level of experience which i experence at any other spg hotel around the world.

I do recommend this hotel for if you want to celebrate something as it is quite funky and the brand experience is good. As a business traveller you might want to consider a different hotel.

Also my compliments to the front desk girl who came from South Africa, she was very kind and helpfull

• Stayed November 2012
W-ATL-Midtown, Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear "bergo,"

Thank you so much for your review -- I will pass along your kind words to Tamara. While I'm thrilled to hear that our team resolved any issues you experienced, I'm sorry that you encountered these problems during your stay.

I hope you'll give us another try the next time you're in Atlanta -- when you do, please let me know and we will make sure your stay is flawless: GMWAtlanta.Midtown@whotels.com

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Stayed here because we were moving to Atlanta and needed a place to spend the night before our furniture got to our place. Me and my husband couldn't have been happier with our stay at the W. Our room was very well decorated, modern, comfortable and accommodated our every need. The bar lounge was very chic with good drinks and a nice outdoor patio with heat lamps. We did not have time to take advantage of the restaurant. The hotel is connected to an office building. You don't even have to go outside. It has 2 coffee shops, casual lunch restaurants, a sports bar, a nail salon ( does nails, eyebrows, bikini waxes for much less than hotel spa prices) and a post office...,very convenient for business travelers. The W in Midtown also has the Bliss spa and salon based out of NYC. I did not get time to check it out but will definitely try on my next stay. The toiletries in the room are bliss brand awesome!!! The gift shop is great for a last-minute items...women's clothes, men's button down shirts and they even sell Spanx!!!

• Stayed October 2012
W-ATL-Midtown, Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear "Monk2975,"

Thank you for your review -- and Welcome to Atlanta! Since you're a new neighbor, we hope you'll come back soon and try Spice Market and Bliss. Also, stop by our concierge desk and ask for our list of dining recommendations -- there are great options in Colony Square (the adjacent office building that you referenced) and many, many more within walking distance of our hotel. We'll help you get all the insider knowledge you need as a new local.

Hope to see you again soon.

brandy512
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed at the W Hotel last Thursday and Friday. We had a 3rd night scheduled, but left early because of our disappointment with the hotel. We reserved 2 queen beds, but were given doubles, so my husband and I had to sleep separately. The second night, the partying was so loud above us until 3 or 4 AM, we could not sleep. We called to complain twice, and visited downstairs over the course of nearly 2 hours before anything was done.
Upon leaving early, we had incorrect charges on our credit card of $60 for overnight parking. We only used this service for 1 night. The manager on duty offered to fix the charge, but also comp the $30 charge for the 1 night. Now I see this incorrect $60 charge on my credit card. Additionally, there are more than $125 in pending charges on the card.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear "brandy512,"

Thank you for your review -- I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences and disappointment you experienced. Has everything been rectified with your bill? If not, please email me at GMWAtlanta.Midtown@whotels.com and I will assist you.

Again, my apologies and I hope that you will give us another chance.

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights after reding about the area in Trip advisor. I mid town is a good place to be in if you are in Atlanta. The hotel is in a good place in a quite neihbourhood. There is a park onle a few minutes away.
The staff was excellent and very helpfull. I had to change the TV remote control and it was replaced in minutes. check in was very quick. The rooms are moderate in size. Using the bath room in the night can be a bit noisy because opening the tap makes a noise when water flows.
Internet was available evey where and it was complimentary which i think was a very good thing. Check out took me almost two minutes .
The art centre train station is a few minutes walk and it takes you all the the way to the airport in 2.5 dollars while a taxi will charge you approximately 35 dollars may be more at rush hours. If you have a lot of laguage with you it might be difficult for you to walk to the train station.
If I go back I will be staying here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
W-ATL-Midtown, Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear "Bakhsh,"

Thank you for your review -- we're thrilled you enjoyed the hotel and our Midtown location. It is a great neighborhood and we love being surrounded by Atlanta's top restaurants, Piedmont Park, High Museum, great entertainment venues, and being easily connected to the airport by MARTA rail. We hope to see you again soon so you can do more exploring of the area -- stop by the concierge desk and we'll give you some fun recommendations!

Take care,

Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I held off on writing this review until I gave this hotel a second chance. If I had wrote this review based on my previous visit it would certainly be a -1 star. However, due to my complaints, and telling them I'm a loyal SPG member and nobody should experience what I had to experience I told them I'd hold judgment until my next visit and I'm glad they did. I'll start with my first visit -- my first visit was a hectic one. I entered the hotel lobby and found that it was very busy from guests trying to get things settled to hotel staff trying to help them to where they needed to be. The staff were very helpful getting my reservation taken care of due to a last minute change from a business standpoint and I apologized for having to bother them. For my first visit I had to have visited the lobby about 3 times and I have 6 hotel keys to show for it because they were recycling keys that were trash. I only found this out from seeing someone not throw them away but putting the key that wasn't working in the 'pile'. I told the guy why he would make life harder on staff and harder for guests -- throw that crap away. Nothing irritates me more and I guess common sense, isn't so common these days. Upon looking in my room I found a bug, chilling on the window enjoying the fact that he was inside the W Hotel and I told them about this little inconvenience and the guy smashed it effectively. I was minus a few towels (face towels) and asked them if I could get more. More inconvenience. The beds are comfortable and the rooms and shower is nice but please keep up with the room and think that some people need those towels. I returned from work the next day at 8:30PM and found out my room wasn't cleaned when there was no indication that I didn't want it to be cleaned. At this point they were at 2 stars. I woke up the next morning to find out I had a check out bill with 4 nights of valet service attached to the bill. What the hell were these people doing? I clearly went outside every day to take a cab?? Frustrated I spoke to the manager and told them that riding on the W name won't get you any points. You have to show that you pay attention to those little and in this case expensive details such as this 4 day charge on my bill. I was told valet was absolutely positive it was me and I told the guy that he's simply wrong. Why would I take a cab when you see me and say HELLO for the past 3 days I'm here and i've asked to take a cab? Once again, common sense? I left the hotel and told the folks there I would reserve judgment until my next stay....

My second visit which was about 3 weeks afterwards went so much better. I don't know what happened but it was a different experience for me. The lobby was just as busy as it was before and everyone seemed to make more of an effort to help guests from what I had observed. They did make another error and not clean my room but I called the manager and they mentioned that they would figure out what happened -- yeah, they aren't planning to call me back but they did comp my desert that I ordered. Ha, I thought that was fair - I'll let that slide. There were no critters and the days I ordered room service I received my food. One of the omelets were soaked in oil but other than that it was enjoyable. I had to return a key once but I had another spare so no big issue. I found that the shower was leaking water which I did not experience in my other room. It was weird and they should check that out since I pointed it out to them. Other than that, I think they improved from 0 to 4 based on my second visit just by doing the little things. I wouldn't mind staying at the W again but if they had another Sheraton closer - it sure would be interesting.

Room Tip: Better view on if you get an even numbered room. Its worked out well for me at least...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
W-ATL-Midtown, Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear "remadrid17,"

Thank you so much for your thorough and thoughtful review. Also, thank you for giving us another try after your first visit -- I'm sorry that we disappointed you in ways both times, but happy to hear that you saw improvement. The next time you're visiting us, would you please email me at GMWAtlanta.Midtown@whotels.com? I'd like to personally make sure that we exceed your expectations and give you the flawless experience that we strive to achieve with all of our guests.

I will look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks again,

W Atlanta - Midtown

Been to W Atlanta Midtown? Share your experiences!