“Nice Place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #109 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
“Nice Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights after reding about the area in Trip advisor. I mid town is a good place to be in if you are in Atlanta. The hotel is in a good place in a quite neihbourhood. There is a park onle a few minutes away.
The staff was excellent and very helpfull. I had to change the TV remote control and it was replaced in minutes. check in was very quick. The rooms are moderate in size. Using the bath room in the night can be a bit noisy because opening the tap makes a noise when water flows.
Internet was available evey where and it was complimentary which i think was a very good thing. Check out took me almost two minutes .
The art centre train station is a few minutes walk and it takes you all the the way to the airport in 2.5 dollars while a taxi will charge you approximately 35 dollars may be more at rush hours. If you have a lot of laguage with you it might be difficult for you to walk to the train station.
If I go back I will be staying here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
W-ATL-Midtown, Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear "Bakhsh,"

Thank you for your review -- we're thrilled you enjoyed the hotel and our Midtown location. It is a great neighborhood and we love being surrounded by Atlanta's top restaurants, Piedmont Park, High Museum, great entertainment venues, and being easily connected to the airport by MARTA rail. We hope to see you again soon so you can do more exploring of the area -- stop by the concierge desk and we'll give you some fun recommendations!

W Atlanta - Midtown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I held off on writing this review until I gave this hotel a second chance. If I had wrote this review based on my previous visit it would certainly be a -1 star. However, due to my complaints, and telling them I'm a loyal SPG member and nobody should experience what I had to experience I told them I'd hold judgment until my next visit and I'm glad they did. I'll start with my first visit -- my first visit was a hectic one. I entered the hotel lobby and found that it was very busy from guests trying to get things settled to hotel staff trying to help them to where they needed to be. The staff were very helpful getting my reservation taken care of due to a last minute change from a business standpoint and I apologized for having to bother them. For my first visit I had to have visited the lobby about 3 times and I have 6 hotel keys to show for it because they were recycling keys that were trash. I only found this out from seeing someone not throw them away but putting the key that wasn't working in the 'pile'. I told the guy why he would make life harder on staff and harder for guests -- throw that crap away. Nothing irritates me more and I guess common sense, isn't so common these days. Upon looking in my room I found a bug, chilling on the window enjoying the fact that he was inside the W Hotel and I told them about this little inconvenience and the guy smashed it effectively. I was minus a few towels (face towels) and asked them if I could get more. More inconvenience. The beds are comfortable and the rooms and shower is nice but please keep up with the room and think that some people need those towels. I returned from work the next day at 8:30PM and found out my room wasn't cleaned when there was no indication that I didn't want it to be cleaned. At this point they were at 2 stars. I woke up the next morning to find out I had a check out bill with 4 nights of valet service attached to the bill. What the hell were these people doing? I clearly went outside every day to take a cab?? Frustrated I spoke to the manager and told them that riding on the W name won't get you any points. You have to show that you pay attention to those little and in this case expensive details such as this 4 day charge on my bill. I was told valet was absolutely positive it was me and I told the guy that he's simply wrong. Why would I take a cab when you see me and say HELLO for the past 3 days I'm here and i've asked to take a cab? Once again, common sense? I left the hotel and told the folks there I would reserve judgment until my next stay....

My second visit which was about 3 weeks afterwards went so much better. I don't know what happened but it was a different experience for me. The lobby was just as busy as it was before and everyone seemed to make more of an effort to help guests from what I had observed. They did make another error and not clean my room but I called the manager and they mentioned that they would figure out what happened -- yeah, they aren't planning to call me back but they did comp my desert that I ordered. Ha, I thought that was fair - I'll let that slide. There were no critters and the days I ordered room service I received my food. One of the omelets were soaked in oil but other than that it was enjoyable. I had to return a key once but I had another spare so no big issue. I found that the shower was leaking water which I did not experience in my other room. It was weird and they should check that out since I pointed it out to them. Other than that, I think they improved from 0 to 4 based on my second visit just by doing the little things. I wouldn't mind staying at the W again but if they had another Sheraton closer - it sure would be interesting.

Room Tip: Better view on if you get an even numbered room. Its worked out well for me at least...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
W-ATL-Midtown, Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear "remadrid17,"

Thank you so much for your thorough and thoughtful review. Also, thank you for giving us another try after your first visit -- I'm sorry that we disappointed you in ways both times, but happy to hear that you saw improvement. The next time you're visiting us, would you please email me at GMWAtlanta.Midtown@whotels.com? I'd like to personally make sure that we exceed your expectations and give you the flawless experience that we strive to achieve with all of our guests.

I will look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks again,

Knoxville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed for a long weekend trip, part business and part pleasure. The service was outstanding as were the facilities. It was a little cool for the pool, but we found ourselves out there anyway because of how peaceful it was in the midst of a bustling city. I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
W-ATL-Midtown, Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear "StaciePreston,"

Thank you so much for your review -- we're thrilled you enjoyed our service and amenities, including our pool (by the way, did you know that Frommer's agrees with you -- they named us a "Top 10 Hotel Pool in the U.S." earlier this year).

We hope you'll visit us again soon.

dayton oh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed for two nights. Had a minor problem with the first room assigned, but the bellman immediately went to the desk and got us a new one. Can't say enough good about the staff - from the front desk to the maids, bellmen and bartender - they all went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. Hotel is located within walking distance of several nice restaurants and the area around it is filled with some really striking older homes. Just a few blocks from a major park, so walking or jogging is a definite possibility. Would have given a five star rating, but some of the furnishings in the room were definitely showing some wear, although the room itself was in good condition.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear "harryajones,"

Thank you so much for your review. I'm thrilled you enjoyed your stay but sorry that you experienced some minor issues. It sounds like you were able to explore our neighborhood of Midtown Atlanta a bit and enjoy Piedmont Park -- we hope you'll come visit us again soon!

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here recently at the urging of one of the hotel's managers, Brian Atchinson, whom I had the pleasure of meeting on a recent flight. The staff was friendly and the place seemed to be buzzing with energy. The restaurant, if it were not in a hotel, would be much busier. The food was incredible! Piedmont Park is 2 blocks from the W and there is a great art museum across the street. If you have the chance to stay here, don't miss it.

Room Tip: There are good deals for this place on Orbitz and some of the other travel sites. Look here before...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear "Lisa J,"

Thank you for your review; we appreciate your compliments. I'm so glad you had the chance to enjoy Spice Market and some of our neighborhood's top attractions.

We hope you'll come see us again soon!

Cheers,

NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The "Whatever, Whenever" campaign came off a lot more negatively for us. For a hotel rumored to have excellent service, we saw and experienced none of it. We were there for a wedding. I was the only person who received the welcome bag the bride & groom had delivered the day before. Our shower flooded with about 4 inches of water, and when I called, the woman who answered "Whatever, Whenever" at the front desk sounded like she couldn't give a crap what my problem was. She mumbled that she'd SEE IF she could find a plumber. What? At least PRETEND to be concerned. When I called 30 minutes later, she wasn't apologetic or bothered in the least. My friend had a fender-bender with her rental car, and the concierge was absolutely worthless in helping us find someone to try to fix it before we left town. Isn't a concierge supposed to, by the very definition of the job, HELP? He literally said, "Well, I guess I could google auto-body shops," and yet there he sat, immobile, on his stool. All I could do was stare blankly at him. Service was absolutely horrible. Rooms need a revamp, our desk had ripples from water damage all over it. Location is good and we got an acceptable rate for the stay, but I can't imagine going back there again. I'd rather pay another 50 bucks somewhere else and have someone at least PRETEND they're happy to have my business.

PROS: The valet service, however, was excellent, and the guy who came to fix our plumbing (I don't fault him for taking a long time-- who knows what else he was working on) was quick and courteous and helpful, too. It's the front desk/concierge that needs a serious attitude check.

Room Tip: Location is good, ask for views facing downtown for a nice panorama. Just lower your expectations fo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear "LKPNYC,"

Thank you for your review -- I sincerely apologize for the issues you had with your shower and your negative service experience. We do have a reputation for excellent service and pride ourselves on it, so we're extremely disappointed if a guest doesn't leave us feeling well-taken-care-of. Your review will be used a learning experience for us.

I hope you'll give us another try the next time you're in Atlanta.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The bed was the best part, although the pillows were not to my liking. I found the furniture hard and too modern for my taste. I like cushy and comfy. The location was great and it's only a few blocks to the nearest MARTA station.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear "PrsTrainer,"

Thank you for your review -- we're glad you enjoyed your bed and the location of our hotel, but sorry we disappointed you with the furniture and pillows.

I hope you'll give us another try the next time you're in town.

W Atlanta - Midtown

Been to W Atlanta Midtown? Share your experiences!