“Style over substance...Premium price for below average ammenities” 3 of 5 stars
Review of W Atlanta Downtown

Book Early and Save
Ranked #42 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Style over substance...Premium price for below average ammenities”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I recently stayed at the hotel for a conference and I have to disagree with most of the other reviewers. I found the hotel to be very stylish but not very functional.
First off it is valet parking only which means you have to call down and wait then go in your pocket everytime you leave the hotel, it felt like a toll.
Second the room is very stylish, black, grey and more black. Even with all the lights on the rooms feel very dark. The furniture in the rooms looked and felt like cheap purple ..yes purple ..formica. The shades one set sheer and one set opaque worked off ball chains. The heavy opaue curtains made me feel like a pirate hoisting sails and the four sets of chains often got tangled together..just a hassle when all you want is light.
The TV is a flat screen but it does not swivel so the remote only workls if you are laying in bed directly in front of the TV. The king size bed I stayed in was king size wide but short. I am 6'3" and had to sleep sideways so my feet would not hang off the bed. The shower walls are glass ..great if you are with "your other" ..not so great if a friend needs to hit the shower because his is being worked on. There is no coffee pot in the room but there is free coffee (and that all) downstairs. The hair dryer was something you bought at a 99 cent store it was not a wall mount unit and it was about the size of a soda can and worked as well as you would think. Even the toilet.....it was contained in a a dark purple closet off the black and grey bathroom with no ventillation.
Third location, yes it is in the heart of downtown but it is sourrounded by parking lots and highway entrance ramps. This made the area inhospitable for walking ..it was five blocks to the nearest "populated area". The highway ramps meant that just getting out of the hotels "parking plaza" could take ten minutes then getting on the highway can take another fifteen minutes even though the on ramop is at the corner. It's proximity to the conference center is a double edged sword..yes it is close for your conference but god forbid there is a concert (1 Direction if you must know) at the Georgia Bowl. Traffic lights are put on blinker and traffic is directed by Police to deal with the crush but it took me over an hour to get to the hotel after dinner.
The premium price charged is not worth the mediocre product provided.

Room Tip: Get one in a diferent hotel.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Birmingham, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Great modern hotel, with friendly and helpful staff. The rooms were clean and spacious. The fitness centre was large and clean, and had plenty of modern equipment. The breakfast was delicious. Our only complaint about this hotel was that it did not have free wi-fi.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Johnson City, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Room was amazing spend the extra money for a corner room it was well worth it. The hotel is decorated in dark colors and and it's very trendy. Shower was huge...bed was really comfortable. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed October 2014
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I don't understand how anyone could like this hotel. It is so dark. The walls are black and the carpeting is black. I can't imagine how anyone would like it especially in the winter. The rooms seemed to be clean, but to be honest, the baseboards of the bathroom and the caulking around the tub were not clean. There was a totally broken piece of wallboard near the foot of one of the beds. The location was okay for business, but I would be frightened to walk outside of the hotel at night. There really is nothing nearby. The $30 per day for parking was hefty, especially since some of the lots nearby advertised $4 per day for 24 hour parking. The people were nice so I guess that the hotel was just not my style. It seems to me that the decor only makes the rooms seem smaller. I won't be returning. It is just kind of a trendy design which was perhaps meant for younger people.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your comments regarding the design of the guestrooms, we are always looking for ways to improve. I’m glad you found our talent helpful and friendly. I am very sorry we did not exceed your expectations. Like other downtown hotels, parking is limited and the hotel only offers valet parking. There are other nearby self-parking lots but they are not affiliated with the hotel and they don’t offer the comfort or convenience of valet parking. Be sure to check our website for the latest Special Offers and packages that include valet parking. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown and I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back.
Garner, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I took my 12 year old to Atlanta to celebrate her birthday & for a mom & daughter getaway. I don't think we could have picked a better hotel. The valet, hotel staff, & restaurant were absolutely great! They greeted us & treated us like we were the only guests who they had to assist. Upon arrival, Abraham, escorted us out of the vehicle, and the front desk wished my daughter a Happy Birthday. The room was really nice! The shower was really cool. The gym was a clean. And, the food was so good! I don't think I've tasted omelets so good in my life. We were in walking distance of so many tourists attractions. I couldn't have asked for anything better. Thank you to the entire staff for making our stay so wonderful!

Room Tip: Be prepared to eat some of the best food ever! You will enjoy the polite staff members. And, you wil...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Thank you Tonya for this wonderful review – it sounds like you enjoyed your stay and were able to experience many of the amenities the hotel has to offer. I will be sure to share your comments with Abraham. I’m pleased we were able to make your stay enjoyable - we can't wait to host you for another getaway. Cheers!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The staff in the Catering/Sales area (Marsha and Stephanie) were an absolute pleasure to work with! They were very helpful in assisting with all of our needs for an event our company hosted at the WetBar. The event turned out GREAT and their service was excellent! I'd definitely recommend the W Hotel as a possible venue if you're looking to host any type of event.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Thank you Alicia for this wonderful review. We really enjoyed hosting your group and thank you for choosing W Atlanta-Downtown as the location for your event. I will make sure to pass on your kind words to Marsha, Stephanie and our entire Sales and Catering Team.
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

After a long day of traveling to atlanta for a conference,Tina at the front desk was amazing with accomodating my sister and I. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Also, the rooms was amazing. I would definitely visit again. Again Thank you Tina for all of your help!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review! I’m very glad that you enjoyed your W Atlanta Downtown experience and found our talent to be warm and helpful. I will be sure to share your comments with Tina and the rest of the team. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit. Cheers!

Been to W Atlanta Downtown? Share your experiences!