“Worst Hotel Experience Ever!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 190 Hotels in Atlanta
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Nashville, Tennessee
“Worst Hotel Experience Ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

My stay at the W Hotel Downtown Atlanta started with them telling me my secondary emergency contact had been changed to the primary contact - which prevented me from checking into my own room even though the card they were charging was mine. I had to wait 2 hours for my friend to come by to check me in to my own room. During our second day, no one came by the clean the room or bring fresh towels. I had to steal some from the cart lady. And as the hotel had broken up my stay for the two nights into two reservations, they made me move rooms after the first day. When I got home from our trip, I then saw a $200 charge for smoking - and as I'm severely allergic I knew this was a ridiculous charge. I called the hotel, and after a long time on hold, they finally refunded the money. Combined with a $30/day parking charge, my bill for this place was ridiculous for what I got. Overall, worst stay I have had at a hotel in a long time for somewhere that's suppose to be a great place to stay. Would not recommend to anyone!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to hear that there was some miscommunication during your check-in process. I apologize you had to wait but I’m glad to hear it was resolved. While this does not happen often, I apologize that your room was not refreshed. I will share your comments with our team to ensure this does not happen. I’m sorry to hear about the confusion with your room night charge but I’m glad we were able to correct your bill. I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back because I am confident we can provide you with a memorable experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Lufkin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

This hotel is a true breath of fresh air in a busy downtown Atlanta. From the moment you are greeted as you step out of your cab to the moment you step back in it you are treated and catered to by an excellent staff. The rooms are very luxurious and if you can ever stay in any of the #18 rooms then your have a gorgeous view. I was in 518. The fitness center is one of the best I've been to in a long time as well as the pool area. Both are located on the 16th floor and have excellent views of the Belle of the South...Atlanta. If you like food, the restaurant downstairs on the main floor, BLT, is exquisite. My 12oz filet was cooked to perfection and could be cut with a fork. And don't forget the sides...jalapeno mashed potatoes. YUM!!! The other thing that made the visit amazing was the location of the hotel. You are within 2 blocks of the GA Aquarium and the World of Coca-Cola. Both are must sees. There are many places to visit just a step or two away.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you Matt for the wonderful review. It sounds like a perfect stay and that you enjoyed many aspects of the hotel. I’d like to recommend that you experience Drinkshop, our craft cocktail bar and our fabulous Bliss Spa upon your next visit. Thank you again for sharing your observations and please come back to see us again soon! Until next time, Cheers!
Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

The hotel was beautifully designed, but overall what made my experience the best was the staff. NJ, Pablo, and Loandi were always around when I needed something. They were prompt in helping me. They made my work easier which allowed me to enjoy myself while I was at the hotel and not stress out. I can't get over how much NJ really made my stay at the W hotel memorable. He made sure everything was perfect to the "T". NJ didn't just check me in, but he also showed he cared by asking me about my flight and if I liked the hotel. Just because NJ showed he cared I felt that if I had any problems, I knew somebody that I could ask to help me. NJ, Pablo, and Loadi should definitely be considered the best W hotel staff ever. Somebody should give these guys some extra points!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to spotlight the service you received. I will be sure to share your comments with NJ, Pablo-Andres, Loandi and the entire team. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown. Until next time. Cheers!
Taunton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Amazing service, Kiki in the bar, to the young gentleman who moved here from Chicago, can't think of his name, who drove us to the Pats game!! Kudos to the staff!! We did not know about the "tomorrow land" festival, so that made it interesting, not to mention seeing Celo Green in the lobby for the Grammy event!

• Stayed September 2013
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to spotlight the service you received. I will be sure to share your comments with Kiki and the entire team. I’m glad you had a memorable W experience – that’s exciting you saw CeeLo Green. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown. Until next time. Cheers!
Chattanooga, TN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Terrific location, comfortable bed, good food, and rooms that are dark, even in the middle of the day. This hotel is definitely designed to appeal to younger people with a need to be trendy. The problem with trendy is that it looks outdated after about two years. The staff are wonderful and responsive, and this is a great hotel if you can get past having a glass shower in the bedroom, the equivalent of 15 watt lights throughout the room, and slooooow elevators. 2 to 3 minute waits are not unusual during busy times like mornings, evenings, and checkout time.

Your first clue that the rooms are unusual is the lack of room pictures on the website. You mostly find close-ups of the sink. What is it they don’t want you to see? I can see where the young, trendy crowd might overlook some of the drawbacks (bring a flat bill hat so you can fit in), but the seasoned business traveler will be disappointed.

One small oddity – don’t bother using the stairs if you are on a lower floor. For security purposes, the only exit is an alarmed (presumably exterior) door at street level. You’ll end up walking back up to the 5th floor and waiting for the elevator to the lobby.

That said, the convention and meeting rooms are nice (and bright!) and comfortable. Just don't try to get there by the stairs.

Room Tip: If you really want to stay here, ask for a wonderful room (two queen sized beds) unless you want to...
Green Features: Environmentally friendly = dim lighting. Bring a flashlight.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments! I was glad to hear our team provided you with exceptional service. I appreciate all your kind words and I’m glad you had a good’s night rest and found our bed to be comfortable. I appreciate your room observations. We receive many wonderful comments about the design of our guest rooms but I certainly understand that it is not for everyone. For those looking for more privacy, I highly recommend the Cool Corner room or the Studio Suites. They both have larger and more private bath and shower areas. I’m very sorry that you had a delay with the lift. Things generally flow pretty well but with a large group in the hotel it may have caused a delay. Sorry we didn’t meet all your expectations, but I do appreciate your review. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown.
Mobile, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for a conference I was attending. It's a lovely hotel but a bit too hip and modern for my taste. The rooms were dark, the hallways were dark, the bathroom vanity very low and the open shower basically in the middle of the room was just too strange. The staff were very helpful. I think I'm just not cool enough for this place.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for your review. I appreciate all your kind words about our staff. It’s our goal to exceed every guests expectations and I’m disappointed that we fell short. The shower in the guest rooms is a popular feature with our guests. The configuration you describe is only in rooms with a king bed. We also have rooms with two queen beds that offer a shower/tub combo and a door that separates the bedroom from the WC for added privacy. We certainly appreciate your other comments about the guestroom. I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back so we can show you how cool you really are.
Belbroughton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Al the usual W class. Great design, bar, rooftop pool etc. location not great for weekends - choose midtown - but rooms fantastic and beds unbelievably comfortable. However valet parking ridiculously expensive and no wifi unless you crib. Which we did. And to their credit they rolled. You can get free wifi in a 35 dollar motel but not the W. madness.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your kind words about the design and glad you found the beds to be comfortable. W Atlanta-Downtown’s valet parking prices are comparable to other hotels. However, there are other nearby self-parking lots but they are not affiliated with the hotel. I appreciate your comments regarding Wi-Fi. W Atlanta-Downtown became the first hotel to provide free Wi-Fi outside the walls of the hotel in addition to the free Wi-Fi in theLiving Room. Additional connectivity is available with prices based on the usage package you choose – we have several options available to serve varying needs. Be sure to check our website for the latest Special Offers and packages that include valet parking and free wi-fi. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Been to W Atlanta Downtown? Share your experiences!