“Not worth the price!” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Oakville, Canada
“Not worth the price!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Much better value to be had at other nearby hotels. We paid roughly double what our business colleagues paid at other high-end hotels within steps of W. Purple paint is nice and all, but will never choose W again. We upgraded our room to the "fantastic" or whatever, but it was small. Less than 2 feet of space between the beds. "2 FREE cocktails ... not with your package." "Complimentary breakfast ... not with your package." "Unhappy with the value ... I'm sorry you feel that way (sent in an email)."

SAVE YOUR MONEY! Stay elsewhere.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for your review. I’m sorry to hear you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay. It’s our goal to exceed every guests expectations. The Fabulous rooms range from 350 to 400 square feet. The room you stayed in has two queen sized beds and the space between each bed appears to be pretty standard. The Cool Corner room and Studio Suite are both larger if you need more space. We have several great packages and special offers on our website but you must book the package to receive the features. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown.

511 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

...The only hotel I stay at in Atlanta is the W Hotel! Once I've tasted the Best...nothing else Compares! When comparing W Hotel to ANYother Hotel (on the Planet)..please make sure you put W Hotel in a Class & Level all by itself! If you don't know this, "Just Stay there for One Night"! If its not the "Best Experience" you have EVER had in "Accomodations"...then I Will Pay You for Time & Stay...and I don't even work for the Chain! Well for now! :) Thank you for the "Experience"! The Mats that Change with the Clock, The Art, The Whatever...WHENEVER "Commitment" to Clients, the Bar, Food, Nightlife, and the Overall Vision that seperates itself from all others! No disrespect to other hotels....but the W Hotel reminds me of the Mercedez Benz of Vehicles. Everything else is Modeled After it! Just nothing like the Original!

Ohh...by the way Carly was a GREAT HOST! W Hotel also Hire the Best Support...who Supports the Vision & Experience! Beginning w/ the Valet...on to Carly at front dest...to KiKi at the Drink Shop...to every second spent on the Property. Just know...you have to Pay to Play...to Respect & Compliment the Level that's been created for "US"...at the W!!!

Thank you again W Hotel...Downtown Atlanta!

Signed,

Biggest Fan (Joseph Bailey/Bailey's B.A.S.H./I Have a Dream Too)

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you Joseph! I think it is safe to say you are our #1 fan and I’m very glad we continue to impress you. We certainly aspire to be the best and we are grateful when guests recognize us as such. Thank you for your kind words about Carly and Kiki - they are both exceptionally wonderful. I’m glad our Whatever/Whenever service added up to one perfect stay. Cheers!
Wilmington, DE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

The W Downtown is now my forever future pick for any & all stays in Atlanta. I was delighted with the friendly service, the layout of the hotel, the hip loungey breakfast bar area, the valet retrieved and delivered my car promptly to the front courtyard. The kicker is.... four of us headed out to Augusta on a beautiful spring morning to watch the practice round of the Masters. One hour into the drive I remembered that my tickets were still in my room!! Yvette in housekeeping quickly retrieved the tickets from my briefcase, sent a driver to meet us at a halfway point and we were on our way in no time! We are able to enjoy a great day of golf, thanks to the staff at the W.
Outstanding!
I forgot to mention the spa carries great products and the fitness center overlooks intersecting highways downtown, felt like we were running while suspended in mid air, watching traffic jams below.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for a wonderful review! I’m glad you enjoyed your stay. Yvette and our team are fabulous and they strive to provide every guest with an outstanding W experience. I will be sure to share your comments with our team. I’m glad you made it to the Masters on time and you got to enjoy a relaxing day watching golf. We look forward to welcoming you back. Cheers!
Franklin, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I can not say enough about this fantastic hotel. It is everything one needs for a girls weekend. Located downtown, it is chic and sexy! Fabulous rooftop pool, amazing spa, friendly staff, and a well stocked room with high end features. Well worth the money we spent!

Note - probably not a "family friendly" hotel. Lots of "partying/bar scene/noise" .

Room Tip: We stayed on the 12th floor and had a nice view of downtown.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at W Atlanta Downtown. I’m glad you enjoyed your W experience and I will share your comments with our team. Next time you are planning a girls weekend, you might enjoy our Girls Night Out package which includes glamour inspired cocktails, a spacious Suite and much, much more. We look forward to welcoming you back. Until next time. Cheers!
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We recently stayed one night at the W Downtown after a disappointing night at the W Midtown (see my separate review for details). The difference was night and day, and while I whole-heartedly could never recommend the Midtown to anyone who is over 30 and not looking for a party all night hotel, I can just as enthusiastically recommend the Downtown property. It wasn't without a couple glitches, but the staff was very helpful and accommodating, and they went out of their way to help with the minor glitches.

We were initially assigned a Fabulous (or Wonderful? Marvellous? I can't keep up with W's naming schemes!) room which was fine, but soon after we checked in we heard a baby crying fitfully in an adjacent room. As we were already a little shell-shocked by noise from the W Midtown, I asked the front desk if we might be able to change to another room. They assigned us one of the junior suites which was very quiet (and very nice). I do still wonder, however, why as an SPG Platinum I wasn't offered the suite at check-in, but despite what SPG purports to be a standard Platinum benefit, I've never had the pleasure of receiving that upgrade on check-in, so I don't expect it. In the end we had a very nice room which was quiet and comfortable, and that's all that mattered.

There was another minor headache regarding breakfast - Platinum members beware and be sure to ask about the Platinum breakfast amenity when you check in! We simply asked where breakfast was served and were directed to the adjacent restaurant, BLT, which is apparently not part of the hotel. The complimentary breakfast is served in the lobby bar, and if you're misdirected to the restaurant as we were, you'll be on the hook for paying yourself. Again the lobby staff did assist by comping some of our lobby bar tab from the night before when we checked out, but a little more clarity up front would have been nice. I don't think when a guest inquires about breakfast they should be directed to a separate restaurant instead of the in-house facility.

One other note to management - invest in some door closers for guest rooms; the doors do slam themselves shut and while it didn't bother us, it is noticeable and if the hotel was full I could definitely envision a sleepless night of slamming doors.

I would stay again, and recommend to others. It's a nice property with good service, and reasonable rates.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for your review! I’m very glad you found our talent to be warm and helpful. Your suggestions are very much appreciated. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown and we look forward to welcoming you back!
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I literally stayed in Atlanta for just one night but am so pleased I chose the W as my hotel.

The lobby is typically W and makes you wonder if you've booked into a club or trendy bar by mistake.

The lobby was easy to find and well staffed, the thumping music in the Bar upstairs was a little intimidating if you've just arrived jet lagged and wondering where you can get a quite drink. But this is the W and not the Marriott.

The room was gorgeous. Huge. Stylish. Beautifully lit and made me wished I was booked in for longer.

The bathroom was the size of most normal rooms on their own with a massive shower/wet room and tonnes of free Bliss toiletries.

The bed was sumptuous. Soft, perfect bed linen and the kind of bed you would find difficult getting out of.

Everything in the room was perfect.

I ate in the hotel BLT restaurant which whilst lovely was strangely at odds with the funky vibe of the hotel. It was overlit, slightly empty and just didn't match the rest of the hotel. The food was good and the staff great but i could've been anywhere and surely the point of staying at the W is you're not staying just anywhere. It felt as if the designer who worked n the lobby, the bar and the rooms was taken off the job when it got to the restaurant. Also last orders were 10pm which for a Friday night which with such a buzzing bar upstairs was very odd and slightly annoying because dead on 10:30 the lights went up even brighter and you were more than obviously expected to leave

We retired to the lobby bar area instead of the booming bar which had a nice atmosphere, very friendly staff and you could actually hold a conversation rather than shout or give in and dance upstairs.

Breakfast wasn't included and you had the choice of full on menu back in the restaurant or continental in the lobby bar area. A choice of cereals, fruit and pastries was on sale and free coffee available.

A really great hotel (minus the restaurant) and I'd definitely choose this versus the faceless Westin any day.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for your review! I’m glad you found the rooms to be spacious and the bed comfortable. On your next stay you might enjoy the selection of light bites available in the Living Room, where food available until midnight. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

My sisters and I stayed here last night for my bachelorette party. We checked in early and hung out at the pool on the 16th floor. Super cool pool overlooks the city. We ate at BLT for dinner, very delicious. However my review is not about all that. More importantly its about the level of customer service one person from in-room dining in particular offered. I ended up drinking too much and getting sick at 3 AM and sadly made a total mess of the bathroom. My sister called down to get more towels to clean up. Nathaniel Palmer showed up at our door minutes later with towels. My sister requested a cleaning solution and must have had a "help me" look on her face. He showed back up and when my sister opened the door, he had the maid's cart, gloves on and a giant smile on. He offered up his assistance in cleaning the bathroom, at the moment I was getting sick again. In the meantime, he asked my sister about the wedding details and was super friendly. I don't know about you, but I am not super friendly at 3 AM. He cleaned the bathroom right up with a grin on his face. He went above and beyond what was required of him and did it with a giant smile on his face. Afterward he came out and asked how I was doing and if he could get us anything else. Ten minutes past and we got a knock on the door, there was our knight in shining armor with gingerale, sparkling water, and granola bars. To top it off, he left a note to let us know that he hoped I felt better and congrats on my upcoming nuptials. Nate seriously impressed me with his smile, his willingness to go above and beyond, and his genuine kindness. I have waited all day to write this, as I am just now feeling myself again. My fiance called to talk to his manager and tell her the story. What makes our experience at the W wonderful is Nate. People like Nate are rare and deserve to have good reviews written about them. Its easy to go about your job and just do the minimum. Its quite another thing to do your job with a smile and a stellar attitude. Thank you, Nate, for all your kindness and your angelic nature. You made our stay just delightful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown. Our Whatever/Whenever department really is fabulous (even at 3AM) and they do everything they can to provide every guest with an amazing experience. Nate is a great asset to our company and I’m glad he was there to assist you. We look forward to welcoming you back – perhaps on your wedding night. Cheers!

Been to W Atlanta Downtown? Share your experiences!