“Always a Good Time at W Hotels” 4 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #34 of 189 hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Estero, Florida
“Always a Good Time at W Hotels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband & I are avid W Hotel stayers. We always have a good time at them and this property was no exception. It's located in the heart of downtown Atlanta, about a 15-minute cab ride from the airport. We enjoyed the city views, the Living Room bar and dinner at the on-site restaurant, BLT Steak. We had previously come to the W Downtown for drinks at DRINKSHOP and loved it (although it was closed the night we stayed there). The hotel is only a 10-minute cab ride to Midtown so we were able to enjoy that area as well (the W in Midtown is also awesome - see my previous reviews). The only compliant I had? The room was small and this is the first Starwood hotel I've stayed at that didn't reward my Gold Starwood status with a room upgrade (even though I was told by a staff member that the hotel was only 60% full). But, that didn't keep it from being a hotel I would return to.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for your review! We sincerely appreciate your positive comments about the hotel. I’m glad you were able to enjoy some of our fabulous amenities including the Living Room and BLT Steak. For the best cocktails, Drinkshop is open Thursday, Friday and Saturday night. I’m sorry we couldn’t get you in a larger room on this stay. Despite the occupancy, the upgraded rooms are very popular and many people reserve them in advance leaving less opportunity for an upgrade. Please feel free to contact me personally prior to your next visit. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown!

536 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Hastings, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Visiting here for a conference, I arrived jet-lagged and tired on a Sunday after midnight after heaps of connecting flights from New Zealand after about 30hrs on the trot - yes, poor me, I know, get over it...

Was surpised how dark the lobby and concierge was - modern and cool, but man, I need to see where I'm walking. Nice clerk there, very helpful. Got to my room which was very nicely laid out - well, at least I think it was, the lighting was so poor I had to feel my way around the walls looking for the light switches. What is it with that dark purple decor? Maybe I need to "get with it", after all I hear Atlanta is the hip-hop capital of the world. Loved the view out the window of the crazy freeways.

Had a giggle looking through the extremly well stocked mini-bar. Condoms (in case one got lucky) and cans of 100% oxygen - I wondered if you used those together? Ordered a hamburger as it was too late to eat anywhere else, not too bad at all.

Over the course of the week there, we ate dinner a couple of times inhouse. I don't think I've ever had a better tasting more tender steak in my life - hats off to the chef there, and I passed the compliments on - fantastic.

The gym is the best I've seen in a hotel complex - love the tv screens on all the equipment.

All in all, an enjoyable place. The staff are good, friendly and attentive.

Room Tip: The higher the better - my colleagues all complained of parties on lower floors
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you posting a review. I’m glad you found our talent to be very helpful and friendly – we want W Atlanta Downtown to feel like your home away from home. Traveling for work can be exhausting so we like to ensure that even business trips feel like a get-a-way. We are extremely proud to have such a wonderful restaurant - BLT Steak - on property and I’m glad you enjoyed it. I appreciate your positive comments about SWEAT, our work-out facility on the 16th floor with amazing views. We hope to see you again. Safe travels!
Hillsboro, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I went to Atlanta for a conference and my stay was booked at the Sheraton. However, as there was some event going on at 'S', I was offered to stay at the W. Lucky me!

This place was excellent. Great designs, perfect ambiance, dark and light purple themed subtle lighting. As I walked into my room, I was amazed by the view of the city through the glass wall on one side of the room, which was getting reflected on the large mirror facing it. There was a white leather couch right beside the glass wall, perfect for relaxing and enjoying the view with a cocktail in hand. Oh yes, they had the perfect collection of spirits in the room too. Everything was perfectly designed for luxury. Even the restroom, specially the shower was awesome. I wished I was there for our honeymoon. But I am glad that my husband was joining me after my conference so that we could go around and see some places in Atlanta. So, we were indeed fortunate to spend some time in this romantic and blissful room. We went to the rooftop pool at night after dinner, which was having a live music at that time. There was a bar beside the pool. Soaking and relaxing in the pool, we spent the night blissfully.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for such a wonderful review! I’m very glad to hear that you enjoyed the service at the hotel and you were able to enjoy the view from your room. It sounds like you had a great time. Please come again and experience even more of our amazing offerings - Bliss Spa and BLT Steak are top rated. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown. Cheers!
springfield area, mass
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed 2 nights while attending a week end conference. I found getting to& from
the airport very easy using the subway system. I was given a room on the
10th floor. I found the decor very dark. I wished they had better lighting
in the rooms. I was not happy finding yellow stains on the shower curtain. The walls
behind the beds have cut outs, they look nice but they were loaded
with dust. The system in the elevator having to use your key card is a very safe set up
important as a solo traveler. The hotel is wonderful for detail when
they do displays or serve food, nice details. The bath products were wonderful, along
with the bliss spa, which I totally enjoyed.
The area is very limited for places to walk to & feel safe. The
mellow pizza next door was great for a quick lunch, excellent.
Breakfast in the hotel was also very good.
I don't think this is a hotel for kids but for couples or business
travelers it is great. A few flaws but nice.

Room Tip: king size bed rooms have glass open to room showers so know who you are rooming with.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the hotel design and enjoyed some of our fabulous amenities including Bliss Spa. I was, however, disappointed that your room was not styled properly prior to your arrival. This is clearly not consistent with our standards. We genuinely appreciate your feedback and I shared your comments with our management team to ensure similar situations do not happen in the future. We look forward to having you as our guest again. Cheers!
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Had an amazing experience at the Bliss Spa! Excellent facials and the staff was so hospitable. Everything was very clean and I was so comfortable. I highly recommend going alone or as a couple. I was able to drag my husband along and he raved about it too. Plus his skin looks so refreshed! The products are the best!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the wonderful review! It sounds like you enjoyed your facial and had a wonderful experience at Bliss Atlanta Downtown. Be sure to check our Special Offers page for packages that include spa services and a Wonderful room. Cheers!
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this W to celebrate an early valentines day. We were on the 7th floor and had a view overlooking 75 and the North part of the city. We live in the 'burbs and like to treat ourselves to a night in ATL every now and again.

The hotel was very clean and we found the staff that we had interactions with to be very friendly. The room was nice with the open shower that overlooked the room and the huge windows looking down on the city. The toiletries were Bliss brand (which I love!) since they feature a Bliss Spa in the hotel. The location of the hotel is great for the aquarium, world of coke, etc. The decor is very nice and modern (without being cold). The bedding was great too.

I do have several complaints however. First... We checked in late and didn't discover until later in the night that the toilet in our room had a continuous leak that would cause it to sound off every 10-20 min. I'm sure we could have called someone but since it was late at night and we were tired we didn't want to hassle with it. Also for some very strange reason, in the middle of the night I awoke to the smell of extremely unpleasant sewage like stink? My husband was asleep next to me in the bed so I know it wasn't him :) the smell lasted for a long time and I can wonky assume it somehow came in through either the pipes or a nearby room. Very weird and very gross. Second... The valet parking is a RIP. From what we saw there was no self parking and I'm pretty sure we paid 20 something dollars a day for parking. Ridiculous. The parking valets were very friendly though so that helped! Lastly...the wifi. As others have stated it is ridiculous that wifi is still an 15 dollar up charge a day. Come on W the freaking Hampton Inn has free wifi. I just see this as unacceptable. For such a "modern/hip/classy" place get with the program. One more thing. Check your bill when you get back and make sure they don't charge you for anything out of their extensive mini bar. They charged us for a Muncie box we didn't eat (we didn't use anything in the bar) but they quickly refunded the money when we complained so kudos for that. I would just check to be sure (we did because I had read other people mention this very same problem!)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting a review. I appreciate your positive comments about the hotel and our staff. I’m glad you enjoyed the shower and our fabulous bliss amenities – both are very popular features. Like other downtown hotels, parking is limited and the hotel only offers valet parking. There are other nearby self-parking lots but they are not affiliated with the hotel and they don’t offer the comfort or convenience of valet parking. We offer different internet connection packages in the guestrooms to accommodate different needs and we also offer free wireless internet access in the Living Room. I’m sorry to hear about the Munchie Box charge but I’m glad we were able to correct your bill promptly. Be sure to check our website for the latest Special Offers and packages that include valet parking. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown and I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back.
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

When you go to a W - people generally have an idea of what you are getting. Self admittledly they target 20-30 year olds. Dark - uber swank - endless nnn tzz nn tzzz nn tzzz music in the elevators. The W in ATL lives up to that. Good location within walking distance to good restaurants, the aquarium, CNN, Coke museum, etc. Most staff great. Besides TV not working really well, light bulbs out in the room - the unbelievably strong fragrance is overbearing. To preview what you are in store for -go to any bath and body works and spill five bottles of fragrance on yourself - WOW - I can take smokey bars, etc - but the burning of your nose and eyes in my room was a first. We had a 50 person conference and about half the rooms were that way - the hallways were pretty bad as well. I would love to talk to marketing and see how they determined the level of fragrance - "hotel smell" as they state - lets start with 30 bottles in a small hallway.

A lot of AV problems in our conf room which were attended to quickly - but gets a bit old.

Overall - you know what you are getting at a W -most staff very good - some I think are paid to "look" pretty but be absolutely clueless and apathetic. Decor trendy modern. Perfect place to people looking to have a good time. For business - not bad but this early 40 year old is at a point where I want to know where the light switch in my room is in less than 45 seconds. Be able to turn on the tv and have it work and not smell like a bottle of AXE cologne from Walmart just by walking down the hall to the elevator.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We obviously love our W scent and our specially curated music selection but also realize a little goes a long way. It is intended to subtly enhance your experience. Thanks for the gentle reminder. I’m glad you enjoyed the location of the hotel and the service provided by most of our staff. I like to think they look good and provide great service. We will continue to work on our service standards and quality to ensure each guest enjoys their stay and the amenities we offer. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown.
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to W Atlanta Downtown? Share your experiences!