“W Downtown Atlanta” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston
“W Downtown Atlanta”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Good business stay at the W Downtown Atlanta. Love BLT it has a great atmosphere, good food and nice wine (but it is expensive). The hotel was very pleasant and the platinum breakfast coupon was worth it....Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for posting a review. We continue to receive great comments regarding BLT Steak - one of the best steak restaurants in Atlanta. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown. We look forward to welcoming you back!

472 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Montgomery, AL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Great business stay recently at the W Atlanta Downtown. But, it was raining the entire length of our stay, and the valet parking attendants seemed to be on break or missing in action EVERY TIME we needed our car. So, even though the area where you wait is covered (slightly), there was rain splashing on us while we tried to find someone to get our car. Need more valet attendants! Other than that, it was a great stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for your review. I’m glad you enjoyed your W Atlanta Downtown experience! I sincerely appreciate your feedback regarding valet parking and we will continue to work to improve future guest experiences. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

In Atlanta for a meeting, the W was an option listed for the group. Having stayed at many Ws in other cities, it seemed like a good bet. Once one gets past the fact that downtown Atlanta might be one of the least friendly and interesting downtown metro areas known to man, and that there is ABSOLUTELY nothing of significant interest except for a few sites (World of Coca Cola, the Aquarium, Olympic Park, Phillips Arena, and the Convention Center are all within walking distance), its ok. Do not expect anything in terms of good food or pedestrian-friendly shopping or cafes in the area (run of the mill chain franchises, Hooters, and the Hard Rock ? really ?), and plan on a rather deserted feeling that makes even the toughest solo traveling woman slightly uncomfortable about how long it will take to find the body.... but I digress. The hotel itself is a great place to lay your head. Classic W design and those really lovely Bliss Spa bath products make for a restful stay. Aesthetically, the rooms are well-designed and very soothing. The shower in our particular room was delightful, although if you are modest, you may not want to be so exposed all the time. Comfy bed and appointments were great. The charge for internet was a little silly, but the staff were very pleasant and professional. People who do not appreciate somewhat inane, entitled, and often drunk 20-somethings coming to party on the weekend should not stay here (picture slightly stupidly drunk dude in his stocking feet proclaiming to no one in particular in the elevator, "I stay here so often that I feel right at home !" -- hardly made me want to strike up a friendship with him). As long as the guest rolls with those punches, a sensory experience is highly likely and great W design is pervasive.

Room Tip: For a quieter experience, ask for a room away from the elevators and the bar and pool levels. Becau...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I certainly appreciate your comments regarding the design of the hotel and our fabulous talent. I’m glad you enjoyed the bliss amenities and found the guestroom to be spacious and the bed comfortable. Next time, please enjoy our complimentary Acura car service to explore the amazing new shops, restaurants and boutiques in the neighborhoods that surround the hotel. Cheers!
Longwood, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I did not stay at the W Atlanta Downtown, but I did spend several hours at the spa the day after I started my much needed 2 week vacation. When I first called to book my appointments for Sunday morning, the reservation agent mentioned deals offered on travelzoo.com. I had never heard of that site, and was thankful for the suggestion. I purchased the deal on travelzoo.com (105 min treatment - scrub, cocoon, and 1 hr massage), and also booked a mani/pedi. This package also included a complimentary glass of champagne, which I thought was a nice touch. The spa is very different from what I've experienced in the past. And different isn't a bad thing - it was just more "modern" and offered contemporary architecture - a nice change from the over the top, opulent spas I've been to in the past. The ladies locker room has floor to ceiling windows (with blinds) that overlooks the downtown Atlanta skyline - I pretended it was my own personal bathroom! I really enjoyed taking a shower and refreshing there after my treatments. My nail tech, Lauren, was awesome! She did a tremendous job on both my manicure and pedicure, and we had a great conversation. Normally I do not care to chat during my services, but Lauren wasn't intrusive and our conversation flowed naturally - she made my experience complete! My nails held up for quite some time, which is a feat for me since I'm tough on my hands and feet. My husband and I also checked out the gym, located on the same floor of the spa, and WOW - what a view! I can only imagine one would get lost in their workout with such a stunning view of downtown. Floor to ceiling windows and whatever type of machine you're in need of. They have it all. Look forward to staying at the W next trip to Atlanta, and definitely more services at Bliss!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! The Ginger Rub at Bliss Spa is a great way to unwind whether you are travelling for business or pleasure. I’m glad you enjoyed our luxe nail lounge and the service provided by Lauren. I will share your comments with her and the rest of the team. Hopefully, on your next visit you will have an opportunity to stay at W Atlanta Downtown and get the full W experience.
Hoover, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Stayed two nights @W.The first things we saw on our arrival to the room was it was small Wonderful Room.It hadn't been dusted in a while.Even the bottle of FIJI water was dusty.There was everything for sale from condoms to umbrella's in the room.All I can say is this isn't a family friendly hotel.The shower stall had mold on the walls. And on the first night starting @ 10:30 pm-3am there was lough screaming,slamming of doors that our door would shake.Of course we complained&the young lady @ the desk commented they were regulars & she never knew they acted like that.We told her that's no excuse because they are regulars,are you staying in the room with them to know what they do,once they check in?The Acura Service is drop off only.Kudo's to the driver Frank,he was very knowlegeable & helpful.Parking is $30 day.If we choose to stay @W again it will not be in a Wonderful Room.Also, we were on the 14th floor & the street noise was distracting until we started to tune it out. And I have to agree it is dark from elevator, hallways, & room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for your review. I appreciate your comments about our complimentary Acura car service and I will be sure to share your feedback with Frank. I was disappointed that your room was not styled properly prior to your arrival. This is clearly not consistent with our standards. It is unfortunate about the noise issues because we do have a strict noise policy. We believe every guest should have the opportunity to enjoy the comfort of their guestroom. We genuinely appreciate your feedback and I will share your comments with our management team to ensure similar situations do not happen in the future.
Galesburg, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I chose this hotel because it was in walking distance to the Philips Arena. The hotel and rooms were upscale, clean, and a perfect Atlanta experience. Rooms feature Bliss products, and there is a spa where you can buy these items as well. FANTASTIC gym, outdoor pool, and friendly staff. I ate at the burger restaurant, and it was pretty good. I don't have any complaints about this hotel. Just a heads up-- I'm not sure if all of the rooms are this way, but the single-bed room I stayed in had a shower very visible from the bed area... it could be awkward if you are staying with a friend!

On a side note, I met Magic Johnson in the elevator. It was awesome.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for your great review. I’m so glad you share our love for Atlanta and our central location. It’s a nice perk to be so close to so many different attractions. Our complimentary Acura car service will transport you to many of the amazing new restaurants within a 2 mile radius of the hotel. Interestingly, the shower in the guest rooms is a popular feature with our guests. The configuration you describe is only in rooms with a king bed. We also have rooms with two queen beds that offer a shower/tub combo and a door that separates the bedroom from the WC for added privacy. I’m glad you had a memorable W experience. You never know who you might meet in the lift! We look forward to welcoming you back.
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My experience at the W Downtown Atlanta was terrible - 2 sleepless nights. The first night, my neighbors were loud (teenagers having a party), but when I tried to call downstairs to complain, noone even answered - in fact, the phone would ring and then go to a busy signal. I was terribly ragged the next morning and hoped a warm shower would help me wake up, but the water pressure was miserably low, like a trickle, and room service screwed up my breakfast order. I did not complain downstairs because I was i a rush for a meeting. The next night, things were seeming better until my neighbors got really loud after midnight. I kept trying to call downstairs but noone answered, so it was impossible to move rooms. Finally they figured out that I had called 8+ times and sent someone up to my room- apparently there was something wrong with my phone. They sent security up and the noise calmed down.

I could even hear noise into the hall when I exited my room to investigate. The walls are thin, the shower is disappointing and room service can't get a simple order correct. But the worst is that when I complained the second night, they told me that I should have said something the first night, but I couldn't because my phone was apparently broken! Illogical.

I am so frustrated that I never want to return to Atlanta for business, much less one of the many W's downtown!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. During your stay, the city was hosting a rather large convention of university students from around the world. We have a zero tolerance policy for noise or parties in the rooms and our staff addresses any reported disturbances immediately. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. This is not the typical experience for a business traveler. There is no excuse for the telephone not working as this is part of our daily checklist. I certainly hope you will give us another chance to show you the high level of customer service our team is dedicated in providing.

Been to W Atlanta Downtown? Share your experiences!