“Really weird...but in a cool/creepy way” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Center for Puppetry Arts

Center for Puppetry Arts
1404 Spring St NW at 18th, Atlanta, GA 30309-2820 (Midtown)
404 873 3089
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #29 of 143 Attractions in Atlanta
Type: Science Museums, Theaters, Specialty Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A performing arts center as well as a museum.
4 attraction reviews
“Really weird...but in a cool/creepy way”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Took my sons during a special weekend of free entry for kids. They had an art class where he was able to make a paper monkey puppet which was cool. Afterwards, we went in to the exhibits. It was great to see some of my old favorites from Sesame Street and the Muppet Show. The older puppets freaked me out but my son was thoroughly amused so the trip was a success.

Visited July 2012

4 attraction reviews
“Plan carefully”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We read the trip advisor reviews before deciding to put this adventure on our itinerary. Mom, Grandma and a 5 year old and 6 year old went. It was hugely disappointing. We purchased a back stage tour -MAGIC OF THE CENTER. The woman who conducted the tour did not focus her comments to the age of the audience (we were the only particpants). She took us "back stage" but only to a few warehouses where we were not allowed to enter, we could only "peak in" and see some shelves and boxes and a few puppets hanging from end racks. For the set reviews everything was closed up - so again it looked more like a mechanics' garage. Nothing to see it took less than 30 minutes ( for $41) . We were not allowed to see the show that was in rehearsal. When we realized that the show was not for another 90 minutes we knew our crew would not be interesting in just hanging out in this dank dusty old school house so we went to the cashier and asked of we could have the baggies that had the puppet making materials in them as a "consolation prize" for our disappointing tour - he told us it would be another $4 and some change for each. Which Grandma paid. WHen we got home we found only a few pieces of construction paper to make a "bear" (the theme for the puppet show was Brer Rabbit). There weren't even any googlie eyes for our $8.00 and change. So for all it was cracked up to be we were hugely disappointed. Perhaps had we gotten to see a puppet show it would have been better. But the exhibits are few and not very entertaining for our crew. If you want to see a large replica of big bird - you might like the trip - but for $40 you would be better off buying a DVD and a package of construction paper and having a better time without the unpleasant smells and tedius tour.

Fayetteville, Georgia
130 attraction reviews
“Field Trip Anyone?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I came to this place when I was little, and I still enjoyed this place even if I have gotten older. They entertain you with puppets for a little bit, and then you get to make your own. So bring your kids here, because they will have a great time.

3 attraction reviews
“Personal Staff/Awesome Puppets”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

The staff here will help you out if you need it.. If you like puppets I strongly suggest this for anyone.

ATL, GA
49 attraction reviews
“Brer Rabbit & Friends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I took my son to see this show today and we really enjoyed the songs/puppets. We live almost an hour away and often visit the Center 2-3 times each year. I love the promptness of each showing as well as the courteous staff on hand. At first I'd purchased tickets for a different show two months ago but had a schedule conflict. I called the ticket office and they allowed me to change the tickets to this show....very accommodating. We have the annual family membership and enjoy the extra added perks.

Visited May 2013

Been to Center for Puppetry Arts? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Center for Puppetry Arts, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.