“Ring the Alarm......” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 189 hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Ring the Alarm......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I've stayed here before...and probably will always stay at the JW...the location you just can't beat. Even though I would exhaust myself walking through the entire mall..it's convenient to have it connected to the hotel. Buckhead its minutes away from everything so the location is very centrally located....HOWEVER...one major hiccup...kitchen fire which led us being evacuated at 12AM -2AM...nothing beats walking down 20 flights of stairs..(sarcasm)...but I appreciate the urgency in making sure all of the guests were safe. Sitting outside getting bit by mosquitoes beats getting burned any day..lol. The annoying fire alarm rang several more times through out the night..so we didn't get much sleep but the front desk was kind of to comp that night for us. I cringe at the thought of the amount of revenue they lost that night if they comped everyone's night...Oh well...I will definitely be back...possible staying a little lower this time. ;-)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

510 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Fantastic Hotel. Sadly, there was a situation that affected the entire hotel on Saturday Night/Sunday Morning. I do not want to go into detail of what happen because in no way shape or form do I want to steer anyone away from this beautiful property. Everyone in the hotel (Guest and Staff) knows what happen.

I want to commend the staff on how they handled this trying ordeal. Their professionalism during that time was superb. The management made the mishap right with a complimentary breakfast and other measures they implemented. I will encourage all of my friends and family to stay at this customer service oriented property.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Mike_Giamundo, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I'm very proud of the way our staff handled the situation this past weekend and especially want to recognize the Atlanta Fire Department for their quick response which resulted in keeping the damage to a minimum. As a result, the hotel remains open to welcome our guests with all of our services available. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Took my daughter on a shopping trip in Atlanta and we loved the JP Marriott in Buckhead . . . large rooms, incredible service, and so convenient to all things Buckhead. Plus you can walk directly into Lenox Mall from the hotel! We will definately be back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Mike_Giamundo, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for your recent visit and for the nice comments. I am glad you and your daughter enjoyed your shopping trip. It is really convenient being connected to the Mall and nice you were able to take advantage of our location. I am also happy to learn that we provided you with incredible service and exceeded your expectations. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Colorado Spring
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stunning hotel. Wonderful upgrade to a suite on the 20th floor. Fantastic concierge club with all of the offerings possible. The location is fantastic right next to the mall and across the street from the Marta Station. I have nothing but the absolute best things to say about this hotel. Best Hotel in Buckhead. PERIOD.

Room Tip: High Floor!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
I am delighted you enjoyed your upgrade to the suite and our concierge lounge offerings. We strive to deliver the best service and to be the best hotel in Buckhead so we really appreciate your comments. I hope you will plan to visit us again soon.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed here for a conference. Shared a nice clean room with 2 co workers so we all took turns on a roll away bed that was actually comfortable. Got room service a few times and had hot tea delivered. Great service but the food was average. Nice, HOT, hot tub. Great service from check in to check out. Bell staff was helpful and drove my us to Target to pick up some things. Mall is attached to the hotel so you can safely walk/shop without ever leaving the building. Skip the restaurant directly across the street....Truffles Cafe. The best part of my meal was the mango lemonade and the nice server. Conference was at the hotel so very convenient. Located in a friendly, safe neighborhood. Walked to the grocery store after dark no problem.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your post. I am delighted you found our service was great from the time you checked in until the time you checked out. I'm also happy you found the bell staff helpful in providing transportation to the nearby Target. I’ll be sure to share your comments with our chef regarding the food. We strive to be better than average and want to provide our guest with a wonderful and memorable dining experience. Thank you for letting us know. Just so you are aware, Truffles Café is no longer located across the street. During your next visit, if you need ideas for nearby restaurants, please be sure to visit our concierge for some recommendations. Thanks again for your visit
Mobile, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I had business in Atlanta and decided to take my wife. I wanted a nice hotel that provided her access to the buckhead mall. How crazy is that! The JW Marriot was the choice. I was blown away by the staff and quality of the hotel. It beats some of the High end hotels that cost 3 time the rate of this Marriot. If you have business near Buckhead, this is your best choice. My wallet is destroyed but my wife of 34 yearsnisnhappy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Mike_Giamundo, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
We’re so pleased your wife was able to accompany you on your business trip. That is a wonderful thing to do when your plans allow and we believe the perfect hotel for that! Being connected to Lenox Square Mall, near Phipps Plaza and in close proximity to so many of Atlanta’s fabulous restaurants and attractions makes it easy to do some damage to the wallet for sure. But how fun! I am so happy our staff was able to provide top-notch service while our location put you steps from the area’s best dining and shopping. Thank you for sharing your review. We hope to welcome you both back again during your next trip to Atlanta. Watch for some of our weekend shopping packages.
Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed here twice in the past 15 months before writing this review in order to make sure it's balanced and accurate across time.

Pricing: Weekend pricing is fair while weekdays can be outrageous (eg, $120 vs $300 for the same room). This is pretty typical for a business-oriented hotel. However, people accustomed to staying in newer, more suburban locations might be shocked by the $22-$32 parking fees, as well as the upcharges for internet (wired and wireless) that are normally included in the mainstream chain hotels. You'll also have to make special requests for mini-fridges and things like that.

Staff: A couple of initial phone calls were greeted and handled very rudely, but once in the hotel, we found all staff members very kind, helpful and accommodating.

Rooms: Aging and you'll know it right away. Old hollow-core interior doors, scuffed and worn casings, saggy beds. However, the window dressing (bedding, furniture) is all newer in an obvious effort to do a quickie renovation. This hotel is badly in need of some real updates. The rooms are relatively small, but in line with similar hotels.

Common areas and amenities: Here's where the money obviously went -- the indoor pool area is amazing, reminiscent of a Wester European Roman bath. The workout area and locker rooms are huge and well-appointed. The common areas are spacious and clean..but practically speaking, I'd much rather see more effort put into the rooms themselves.

Location: I try not to harp on location as part of a review (since it can't be changed!), but for informational purposes, it's nice to be connected to the Lenox mall for retail and food convenience. However, don't expect to walk into central Buckhead easily -- the streets are busy and Atlanta drivers are collectively (and hopefully subconsciously) homicidal! If you want access to MARTA, this place can't be beat. Getting your car in an out of the garage can be trying, since you're in a high-traffic area. However, Lenox Road and Peachtree Rd NE is a pretty good intersection for general access if you have to fight the constant traffic.

Verdict: This one is just BARELY 3 dots for us. We debated 2 dots on the merits of the property itself, and the value for money, but the helpful staff bumped it up a little. Depending on your particular tastes, either spend the same money on a larger, newer place further outside of town, or pony up an extra $20-$30 for a newer, more central Buckhead property (such as W, Doubletree, Westin, etc).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Mike_Giamundo, Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
We appreciate your visits over the past year and thank you for your candid comments. We do have some great weekend packages and hope that you will continue to watch for them. I am terribly sorry that you were greeted rudely during your initial phone calls but relieved our staff was able to turn things around upon your arrival. I will definitely share your comments with our guest reception for additional focus. It is important that we always make a great first impression whether by phone or in person. The hotel was recently renovated and we made sure to retain some of the features our guests told us they really liked while freshening the guest rooms and meeting space. I will ensue that we schedule an inspection of the specific guest room you stayed in to check the bedding and room condition. I am pleased you enjoyed the pool and health club. The new equipment in the health club has been getting a great deal of use since it was recently installed. The MARTA railway is indeed a great transportation choice to visit many of our Atlanta destinations and attractions. When you visit us again, keep in mind that our drivers will also be happy to take you to your destination within a two mile radius of the hotel based on their availability. We hope that you will consider visiting us again.

Been to JW Marriott Hotel Buckhead Atlanta? Share your experiences!