“Nice, but "basic" upscale hotel property” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #32 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oro Valley, Arizona
“Nice, but "basic" upscale hotel property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

In a good location. Easy access. Clean. Easy to park. Floorplan of lobby is awkward and breakfast buffet on site is above average.. other on site restaurants are ok but not exceptional
Very well run and efficient but nothing "special" in any way
Room was nice and clean.. not new, but not old enough to say that it needs a refreshing. Again, good, but not great

Room Tip: Upper floor esp on South side allows you a view of downtown Atlanta
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Lovely hotel in a great location, next to Lenox Square Mall. Lenox Square Mall is always interesting to walk around, with a mix of people from Atlanta's super wealthy using the valet parking, to young people showing off the latest fashions to foreign tourists.
Very helpful staff and a nice room. Ours had a glass shower and separate bath tub. I could take a bath while my husband showered. The only thing that prevents me from giving the hotel 5 stars is that the room had a musty odor all the time, especially noticeable when first entering.
We enjoyed the excellent breakfast buffet with custom made omlettes.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike_Giamundo, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Good morning and thank you for sharing your feedback. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the mall during your visit and found our staff helpful. We have a great team of associates who enjoy providing outstanding service. I apologize for the room having a musty odor but appreciate you letting us know us know about it so that we can investigate and determine what is causing it. We want your to stay to be perfect the next time. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future
South River, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stayed here three nights this week. Very clean and comfortable, but the carpets in the hallways and common areas need to be replaced. Didn't get the king bed that was guaranteed or the promised refigerator. Room service delivered a meal at 11:45pm. Unfortuantely, I did not order it and it woke me up. Once of th best hotel gyms I have been to. Great size, plenty of equipment and everything worked.

Staff is forever friendly and helpful. Given the location and the rate I can get, I will be back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights the middle of March while attending a conference at the Atlanta World Congress Center. This hotel was recommended by a friend who had stayed here. We loved it and were very comfortable during our stay and happy to pay a reasonable price. Nice seating in the lobby, apples and ice water available. We were on the 7th floor overlooking downtown Atlanta. Our room had two Queens, we thought we were getting a King . Comfortable side chair and spacious desk. I wish they included a small refrigerator. Why do high class hotels charge for internet access? We used the free wireless in the lobby and otherwise did without. Bathroom was good size and adequate counter space around sink plus shelf under sink. Towels were very nice. It was nice to have a large full length mirror in the room. Overall our room was very quiet. I could hear people in the hall talking a few times but I never heard doors closing or other TV's. During the afternoon once I heard the train approach and pass but never heard it during the night. Facilities were very clean. I did use the closet safe, it is big enough to hold a small laptop, jewelry, camera and more. We loved that the hotel was right across the street from a MARTA stop. We could be downtown in 15 min. and at the convention center in another 5 min. We enjoyed the easy access to the Mall and walking around. Several good fast food or better restaurants to choose from. The hotel staff were very friendly. We ate in the lobby bar one night. I thought the food was OK. My salmon on flat bread seemed bland, my husband enjoyed his hamburger.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Merritt Island, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

This hotel was wonderful!! It's even better than that. The service from the front desk to housekeeping, was spot on!! The car service was so helpful. I didn't need to rent a car. The car service took me and picked me up very quickly, or I was ale to walk because everything was so close. The location is grat.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner rooms. They were hugh and had a great view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Mike_Giamundo, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Buckhead Atlanta, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for the great comments about our staff and were able to take advantage of our car service. We look forward to welcoming you back !
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband stays here so regularly the hotel is practically his second home but it was great for me to come and experience it too. We have Executive club access so that always makes a stay very enjoyable and the staff in the lounge were particularly helpful. The hotel has recently been refurbished and while still very Marriott in style is has more personal touchs that I have seen in other properties. Big plus points are the location, loads of great restaurants in easy walking distance, wonderful friendly helpful staff at all levels and a new thing was the little market shop by reception which was fantastic, not only the sweets etc that you would expect but drawers of everything from new shirts and ties to aspirin etc plus although pricey not unreasonable - my 4 headache pills were $3 but a necessity at the time. The only reason I am not giving the hotel and excellent is the very long wait for room service on Sunday night, Our pizza took forever to arrive and we had 2 or 3 phone calls to see if it was there or not which didn't inspire confidence that it was ever coming!

Room Tip: Try to get a high floor facing Atlanta as the views are really stunning
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bellevue
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed three nights at JW Marriott in Buckhead on a leisure trip to Atlanta. I agree with most other Tripadvisors that the hotel is a class act, with great sleeping accommodations (fantastic beds!), wonderful room appointments, and a good fitness room, loaded with equipment. However, for the following reasons, it doesn’t get to the “Excellent” rating from me (as an experienced Marriott Platinum traveler):
Upon arrival, a small package was waiting for me, but I was not notified of it upon check-in (as is normally the case). When a co-worker asked me if I had received the package, I inquired at the front desk (more than one day into my stay). There were no notes on my record of a package waiting for me, but indeed there was. The storage room security person confirmed it had arrived days in advance of my arrival, but no one bothered to put notes in my reservation record for the arrival. The package was promptly delivered once it was discovered;
Structurally, the Concierge Lounge isn’t large enough to accommodate the number of guests that have access to it during most week days. Breakfast is good, service in Concierge is excellent, but it just isn’t large enough. Also, the chair for using the Concierge Lounge computer is much, much, much too low. It needs to b e replaced with a higher chair. Also structurally, in a standard room, there’s very little room on the bathroom counter to accommodate dop kits for two persons. The sink area is simply too small. All other aspects of the bathroom are good.
There are some rooms facing south (towards downtown Atlanta) which overlook railroad tracks. In the middle of the night, light sleepers can definitely hear freight trains running besides the hotel. You might want to bring ear plugs just in case.
But the biggest problem of all is evening housekeeping. Turn down service (a standard procedure for Marriott Platinum members) was badly inconsistent. It happened on night # 1, but not on nights # 2 and # 3. When I called Guest Services at 10:45 pm on the second night to get refreshed towels, it took 55 minutes (and two phone calls) for the towels to finally be delivered. Because of the housekeeping failures on night # 2, I went to the front desk prior to the evening and made a special request to insure that there would be a turndown service (again, as is standard --- or supposed to be standard – for Platinum members). I was assured that it would happen. At 10:15 pm, upon going back to our hotel room, lo and behold NO turndown service had been performed. They tried to come up with some kind of excuse that I had my “Do Not Disturb” sign deployed outside the room, but that was not the case (the next door to me did, but not mine). Housekeeping simply messed up. This is an easy problem to fix.
Notwithstanding the above, if the price is right, I would return to the JW Marriott, but wary of making sure that the above issues (except for the structural ones) are taken care of.

Room Tip: Trains can be heard on the South side of the property (facing downtown Atlanta). If you want that v...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Good evening and thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience. I am glad to know that you think the hotel is a class act but was disappointed to hear that you did not receive your package or turndown service in a timely manner. This is not the level of service we strive to deliver. I have personally reviewed your comments with key staff members so that we can insure this does not happen again. I do hope you will give us another chance to earn that excellent rating and thank you for being a loyal platinum member

Been to JW Marriott Hotel Buckhead Atlanta? Share your experiences!