“Sleepless in Atlanta” 1 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   160 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, GA 30303 (Formerly Atlanta Marriott Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Georgia Aquarium Offer!
Ranked #129 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
Brewster, Massachusetts
“Sleepless in Atlanta”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

This is perhaps the noisiest hotel I have ever stayed in. When I first arrived at the hotel I was checked in by perhaps one of the nicest young men. He gave me my warm cookie and I went to my room on the 8th floor. This was handicap assessable room, no tub and no vanity space. Dated but clean, so I thought I would stay anyway. When I turned on the TV, there was a loud popping sound and no picture. I tried turning on several times and still no picture.

I called to the front desk and spoke to some woman, told her of the problem. She told me they booked and the only other room available was another handicap assessable. I found this woman to be a bit curt and she left the desk when I came down to get my keys. It was then I spoke to the young man at the desk and he told me he he could indeed get me a non-handicap room,which he did. I was happy to have a vanity. He also apologized and offered me another cookie and a bottle of water. This guy is a gem, the kind of person you want on the front lines.

I have a grueling travel schedule and was completely exhausted. I decided to go down to the restaurant for a quick dinner. I ordered the chicken Caesar salad, about a third of the lettuce was black and not edible. The chicken tasted like turkey and was tough. When the waitress picked up my plate I pointed out the lettuce situation, but she did not say anything. Honestly at that point too tired to complain.

I went back to my room to turn in early, when around 9 p.m., a man on a cell phone, talking very loud in the hall started knocking on my door. I looked out the peep hole, and saw that he must of realized he had the wrong room. However he continued to talk on the phone,LOUDLY. There must of have been a block of rooms that were friends because there were a lot of doors opening and chatter in the hall. Finally it quieted down and I fell asleep.

At 1:30 a.m., these same people returned. There was one person who continued to knock on a door, apparently trying to wake someone else up to open the door. That went on for about forty five minutes. Then there was the back and forth between rooms and loud chatter in the hall and doors slamming, this went on until 3:30 a.m. By that time I was wide awake and frankly a little scared that someone was going to come knocking on my door again. The noise happened again on the second night of my stay.

In all this was not a good experience and will not return. As woman who travels a great deal alone, I need to be able to stay at a hotel that is safe, comfortable and that has good food.

This hotel is in need of some serious updating, the bathroom floor was filthy, especially the molding around the floor and the door. The bathroom sink took forever to drain, apparently clogged. One last thing, the TV stations were limited, there was no NBC and many of the stations would cut and out, which was annoying. I ended up watching Netflicks on my iPad.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
I appreciate your feedback and apologize for the issues you encountered on your recent stay here with us. Many of them are unacceptable, and I will be following up in detail with my team. In regards to noise on our Guest Floors we do have 24 hour a day security, and when they are alerted they are quick to respond and rectify these issues. We have renovation plans, and actually they start this month, following the installation of the Doubletree Sweet Dreams Bedding and Linen package, we will be going through a public space renovation. We will be completely renovating the Lounge, Lobby, Fitness Center, Guest Room Corridor Carpet, and our elevator cabs, with more to come in 2014. Your complete satisfaction is very important to me, so please feel free to contact me directly, my information is below.

mark.gallagher@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Turkish first
Benton, AR, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

The noise outside our room was horrible. It sounded like there was a laundry shoot in our room and the door kept slamming. Throughout the entire night it sounded like someone was trying to get into our room. It was scary at times when we were awoken. As we left the hotel, I noticed we were next to a bunch of rooms for staff only. I assume the staff was working throughout the night and letting the door slam. Also our walls were thin enough to the point of us waking up our neighbors. We were talking at a normal level, and our neighbor had to knock on our door and ask to keep it down. I will never come back to this hotel nor will I recommend it to anyone. On a positive note, the cookie was tasty, the staff was friendly, and it was the 2nd most comfortable hotel bed I've slept in.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thanks for the detailed review. I appreciate the positive feedback with regards to our Sweet Dreams Beds, the famous Doubletree Cookie, and our wonderful staff. In relation to your noise issues, we did not have any work being conducted at night during your stay. We do have security in the building, and it’s a shame you didn’t report this to the desk so they could have been dispatched to investigate and neutralize these issues. Please accept my apologies that your stay was not perfect in all respects and you have my assurance that I will be personally following up on the concerns you raised.

Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

It was by far the worst sleeping experience i've had in a long time. there is construction going on all around the hotel at all hours of the morning and night. So traffic was bad and the pounding of concrete busting equipment was unbearable.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
I appreciate your feedback and your high ratings of our hotel. I do apologize that the City of Atlanta's Street Car project interfered with your sleep. I am in contact with the company (URS) contracted to conduct this project to work on noise reduction, especially at night. I also have copied your feedback and shared it with their Project Director.

Frisco, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Stayed here on a personal trip to get out for a night - just in downtown. There is some construction going on in the area outside the hotel (Sept 2013) but I can't blame them for it. I thought the hotel was in great shape and we ended up with a balcony room on the 8th floor looking towards Centennial Park and the new Ferris Wheel. The staff at the front desk and valet at the hotel were extremely helpful. When we checked in, there wasn't a person we didn't pass who didn't greet us. Breakfast buffet was nice and included an omelet station. We'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: Not a tall building but ask if you can get a room looking towards the Park and the new Ferris wheel...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thanks for the great feedback regarding your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Atlanta Downtown Hotel. I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed your room, our wonderful breakfast, and your interactions with our wonderful team members.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Atlanta.

Best regards,

Montgomery, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

The hotel was extremely difficult to access due to construction going on in that area. As other people have expressed - the hotel is dated and could use some renovations. The room was clean and the beds were extremely comfortable. The parking fee of $30 was excessive but...Ive had worse...The bell staff was amazing and they make a great team. The bell captain went over and above to help me navigate my way out of downtown.
If I was at another event downtown I would go back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for the great review of the Doubletree Atlanta Downtown Hotel. I am delighted that your enjoyed your stay, and I appreciate the kind words for our Bell Team. They work extremely hard each day to take care of our guests, and personalize their experiences. I will ensure I share your feedback with them. You will be happy to know that starting at the end of this month we will be going through a public space renovation. We will be completed renovating the Lounge, Lobby, Fitness center, Guest room Corridor Carpet, and our elevator cabs, with more to come in 2014.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Key West, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

The hotel was not in a great location and it was in need of some major renovations and cleaning. The room was clean overall but you can tell the bathroom was very old and finishes were tired. The elevator was dirty, and the paint was peeling in common areas.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write, we appreciate your candid review of our property. I am very sorry the appearance of the hotel was not to your liking. We are conducting a public space renovation starting in October with our lobby, lounge, fitness center, guest room corridors carpets, and elevators all being addressed, with more to follow in 2014. New perspectives about our hotel and our overall appearance help us make improvements to our guest experience on an ongoing basis. Please feel free to share any additional comments or suggestions with me directly. Thank you again, and we hope you’ll stay with us again the next time you’re in Atlanta.

Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights in late September 2013. The price was outrageous, but it was for a conference so there was no recourse. All the hotels were expensive that week.

At checkin I requested an extremely quiet room. The front desk gal was deliberating which room to put me in. The one she did give me was about 3 doors down from the elevator. Every time the elevator chimed I could hear it in my room. Also from about 10pm to 2am people would return to their rooms and I could hear almost every word they said in the hallway. Paper thin walls and no insulation to dampen noise. It was extremely difficult to sleep. I called down to the front desk to arrange a room transfer for the next morning.

Also in the first room 5th floor, I went into the bathroom and my feet were sticking to the floor. I just thought the maid had not wiped up all the hairspray from the guest before me. I took a washcloth and started to wipe. The white washcloth was literally black when I was done. Also the bathtub did not drain well, so there was a dark ring around the tub which had not been scrubbed away by the maid. The tub also had a lot of visible mildew in the tile areas. The bathroom faucet literally squirted out sideways because someone had removed the aerator. I don't think there was much quality control or inspection on the rooms at this hotel. If the maid did a bad job, no one cared.

My room on the 7th floor was just the opposite. Very clean and in good repair. The maid on this floor did her job well.

The new room appeared just fine when I moved to it. It was near the end of the hallway, so I thought I was safe. I went to sleep at 9:30 since I was exhausted since not sleeping much the night before. About 30 minutes into my sleep a jackhammer started below my window. I called to the front desk and they said they had no control over the outside construction and many nights the construction crews will work on the new streets and curbs until 1 or 2 am. The front desk person was really nice, but it was beyond his control. Sure enough the construction lasted until about 1am.

I checked out the next morning.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write regarding your recent stay. I was very disappointed to read that we failed to meet your expectations and I was concerned with the issues you raised regarding the condition and cleanliness of your room. Please accept my most sincere apologies and my assurance that I will be following up personally.

mark.gallagher@hilton.com

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown? Share your experiences!