“Good downtown hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   160 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, GA 30303 (Formerly Atlanta Marriott Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Georgia Aquarium Offer!
Ranked #126 of 188 hotels in Atlanta
Rogers, Arkansas
“Good downtown hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I was placed in this hotel when the Marriott Marquis was over booked. Overall this is a nice hotel in a good location. It is much smaller than the Marquis and less modern, but that does not take away from the quiality. Rooms were big, nice and clean and the service was good as well. I would definitely recommend anyone looking to stay in downtown Atlanta.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Thanks for writing regarding your recent stay at the Atlanta Marriott Downtown, your feedback is greatly appreciated. I was happy to read that your experience was positive and that you enjoyed our guestrooms, staff, and location. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

587 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Turkish first
westchester NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

Very nice Marriott in a great location. Close to mart and walking distance to many attractions. But I have to say, the staff at this hotel is one of the best I have ever see. Everyone from the fron desk to the valets are fantastic!

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you very much for your loyalty to the Atlanta Marriott Downtown and for taking the time to recognize our amazing front desk & valet staff. A warm welcome & attentive staff can go a long way in making our guests feel at home.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Our accommodations were very, very nice, immaculately clean, the bed was fabulous, rather surprising, because I usually am very neutral on that type of thing. The only thing I am not happy about is the outrageous fee of twelve dollars per day to use the Internet. C'mon, people, I could go next door to Starbucks and use it for free (without the "lobby"use restricting me to one hour).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks for writing regarding your recent stay at the Atlanta Marriott Downtown; your feedback is welcomed. I was happy to read that your experience was positive and that you enjoyed our guestrooms. I appreciate the high ratings in cleanliness, location & sleep quality. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Jacksonville, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

This older, heart of Atlanta Hotel really needs some updating. I stayed in a accessibility king room and this hotel provides no refrigerators in room. Room 311 The toilet seat is old, dirty and cracked, horrible view, and I can understand a hanging sink for accessibility, but there still needs to be some sort of vanity in the bathroom to put your things on besides the toilet tank. I am a Marriott Rewards member, I did not feel rewarded.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
I appreciate your feedback and your review. I see that you part of the Census Bureau group, and I just wanted to take the time and thank you for your business. I do apologize you were placed in room 311, due to the hotel being sold out, but I am pleased to see we moved you to 366 the next day. We do have refrigerators available on request at the hotel, but due to the occupancy level we may have been unable to fulfill your request, so again I apologize for this. I have also had my engineering department address the concerns you noted in the bathroom of 311. Although you did not use your Marriott Rewards account while you stayed here, I looked it up and will be rewarding you 10,000 points for the inconveniences your suffered.

Enjoy the rest of the your Summer,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is good location,close to subway station and aquarium,museum.
The inside was clean, just not mess and We had enough amenities.
But our kids were really disappointed that the pool was closed 1 hour earlier than sign could swim just for 10 min... They should open long during summer.

• Stayed July 2012
, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to write about your recent experience at the Atlanta Marriott Downtown. I am delighted that your stay was pleasant and you enjoyed the hotel & it’s terrific location. I also appreciate the strong cleanliness rating. Normally the pool closes at 10 pm, so if it closed before this time, I do apologize. I will share your feedback with my security team, so we don’t inconvenience future guests. We hope to see you back in the near future.

Suburban Detroit
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I stayed at this Marriott with my teenage daughter in February during the big Cheersport cheerleading competition. This is an extremely big event, plus there is a huge hair show, and the circus was in town. Atlanta was hopping that weekend. So, I understand hotels and restaurants were booked to the max and probably struggling to meet the demands of the many people in town for the events. I have taken that into consideration but some of the problems I had at this hotel were still completely inexcusable.

The hotel itself isn't bad. It was fairly clean, most of the staff I dealt with were very polite, and many were super friendly. The location is excellent. It's very close to the park, Aquarium, CNN center, sports stadiums, Georgia World Congress Center (where the cheer competition was held), and many restaurants. We also got a very reasonable group rate. All positives. HOWEVER, I had numerous problems.

Very minor but worth noting, there is no breakfast included in the rate and the rooms do not have microwaves or refridgerators. Not a deal breaker but those things always make for a better stay.

Okay, now to the major problems... First of all, there was no maid service on the weekends and we were not told there would be no maid service. No clean sheets, no clean towels, no soap and shampoo replenishment, no toliet paper replenishment, and no garbage pick up. Not even when we called and asked for these items. Nothing. This would not be a problem for an overnighter but we were there 4 nights! I had garbage piled up like you wouldn't believe. Food garbage. It was so gross! We had to reuse old towels after showering and even resorted to drying off with washcloths by the last night. UNACCEPTABLE!

We had several other problems that were straight up ignored. Our room was too warm, and too humid. My daughter and I both have asthma and humidity is a huge trigger for me. We couldn't breathe in our room. Nothing was done to fix that. Room service sucked. We were charged an extra $5 for two slices of bacon with our breakfast and we didn't even get the bacon. Of course, this is after we waited more than an hour for the food. Too bad so sad for us. Nobody cared. One evening, we filled out the Express Breakfast order form and put it on our room door by the time stated, as instructed. The next morning we waited and waited for our food. No breakfast. When we opened our door we realized why. They never even took the order form! Grrr. It was all so frustrating.

But the one that really did it was the problems with our room toliet. We called twice because it wasn't flushing properly. They came up and "fixed" it. Yeah, right. On our last night it overflowed. So, we had feces and urine water all over the floor. I called again. They came up and "fixed" it again, but didn't bring a mop or anything to clean the mess. The guy said he couldn't get a mop because there was no maid service or housekeeping staff there. His advice to me was "put some towels on the floor." At this point I had enough. I was so angry. I called the desk for the millionth time that weekend and they said they'd send someone up with a mop. No one ever came. I wound up on my hands and knees, cleaning the mess myself. I used our old towels to mop up the overflow and washed the floor with the last of the clean washcloths and some shampoo. It was awful. Just awful.

I know it was a busy weekend and I know the staff must have been overwhelmed by the number of requests and problems from the guests but everybody in Atlanta knows what the Cheersport and Hair Show weekend is like. Both of these events are annual. They have plenty of time to prepare. The problems we had were outrageous and the fact that they were largely ignored is unaccpetable. I will opt for the Holiday Inn across the street or Omni that's nearby next time. I will not stay at this Marriott again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for taking the time to write about your recent stay, we really appreciate the positive feedback about the hotel, our wonderful location and the staff. I will have to say that I was very disappointed to read about your experience from February of this year. We failed in multiple areas and I am truly sorry. Guestroom cleanliness, quality food offerings & responsiveness to our guests needs is at the forefront of a great hotel stay and what you experienced is unacceptable. Please be assured that we have sat down as a team and discussed your stay in detail and we have taken action from the comments you made.
Again, thanks for the feedback and please feel to reach out to me personally if I can be of further service.

678-686-3344
Beijing, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Stayed during convention in June 2012. Easy walking distance to Georgia convention center, CNN Center etc. Hotel itself was disappointment for Marriott, as it is old and rooms dated. Booked Executive floor room and had clearly expected more than what I got- The room was not cheap neither, 270 USD!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write, we appreciate your review of our property. I am glad to see our location met your needs.
I am very sorry the appearance of the hotel was not to your liking. We have completed a number of renovation projects in the past six months, with our balconies; pool area & front drive all recently renovated, and have more big plans for 2012/2013. Again thanks for the feedback.

Mark Gallagher

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown? Share your experiences!