“Absolutely Awful.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
New Orleans, LA
“Absolutely Awful.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2006

The star rating for this hotel is terribly mis-guiding. My boyfriend and I stayed in a standard room. The bed was TINY and full of springs. The bedding consisted of a sheet and a heavy musty quilt. The mini blinds were tattered and let in city lights, making it difficult to sleep. The carpet was dirty, the wallpaper was peeling off of the bathroom walls and the nightstands had HUGE spots where cigarettes and water stains had been. When we called for an upgrade, we realized the other rooms were in similar condition and decided to stay in our standard room with the double bed.

I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — Great location if you're seeing something at the FOX Theatre
  • Disliked — God, where do I start?
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here!!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Upstate, SC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2006

We stayed at the Georgian Terrace for 2 nites this past week. (week of Sept. 11 - 16) Wanted to get away and catch a ball game and see the new Georgia Aquarium. Anyway, looked around on line for a hotel and saw this old Southern gem. Read all the reviews on this site and decided that we would take the chance. Well, don't believe we will stay at the Georgian Terrace again. Too much hassle that did not seem worth our while. Parking, baggage, check-in all went very smoothly. In fact, we were upgraded to a "king luxury suite". Our room was on the 7th floor, right side after leaving elevator. The rooms are very large and roomy with the balcony and ammenities except the extra room and washer/dryer that have been mentioned in these reviews.

First thing after arriving was our refrigerator had a leak. The engineer had to come fix while we waited. We went to our ball game and on our return, our key card would not open the door. On the 3rd trip down, we were told we had to wait for security to open the door. After we finally got in the room after 20 mins., we had to wait for security to reset the lock and after he left, our bolt lock would not lock and the knob for the bar lock was missing so we placed a chair under the door and put the "do not disturb" sign on the door. After this stay, I am now officially not a Tempurpedic customer. Too firm for our taste but some of you will like I'm sure. Furniture does need updating. Also, painting. Had no condiments for morning coffee and luckily housekeeping was just outside so that I could acquire some....language barrier tho, did not understand "cream and sugar",
"condiments", "leche", "cafe".

We went to the Savoy restaurant for breakfast and had the buffett which was very good. Service was okay. After a day at the aquarium, we return to our room to relax. After awhile I decide to go look for the pool and after returning, the key card would not work but I could open the door without it. After a trip down to the front desk, they offered to move us to another room and she gave me a key card so that I could go take a look at the room. It ended up being next door and was a "luxury king" with the washer/dryer/extra room and seemed quiter. But knowing that we would have to pack everything back up, we decided to stay and wait for the lock to be changed out. About 20 mins. later, the manager calls us and tells us that he has to move us because of changing out the lock and if we could be to the 11th floor. I stated that we had just looked at the other room and if it was still available, we would rather move there. Yes, it was available so we pack it all up and move next door. Did not find anything wrong with our lock or anything else.

We checked out the next morning. With the problems that we experienced and even the hotel manager (John) telling us that he needed to move us, all we got was an "I'm sorry". I have never heard the words "I'm sorry" so much in my life! Ok, I understand you are sorry but do something about it instead of repeating those words. Should have taken the cost of one nites stay off the bill at least. Thought with a hotel of that "stature", they would want to keep customers - not keep them from returning. The outside attendants were always very cordial. Oh well, valuable lessons learned.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2006

I stayed in this hotel from 17 to 20 June 2006. I loved every minute of my stay. The staff were so friendly and accommodating. When I arrived early in the morning, dead tired after a 19 hour flight from South Africa, the receptionist did her best to get me a room as soon as possible. In the end I got a room three hours ahead of official checking-in time. The door men were very friendly too. Generally, the people of Atlanta lived up to their reputation of southern hospitality.

• Liked — Friendliness of staff
  • Disliked — Struggled to find the lifts to the rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — The Indigo Hotel next door offers inexpensive breakfasts
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Athens, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2006

I have stayed at The Georgian Terrace on several occasions and I have to say I love it. While, yes, some of the sofas could use a bit of an upgrade, the size and amenities of the room more than compensate for it. The lobby alone is a wonder to behold. Super-friendly staff round it all out. I definately recommend this place, especially if you find a great deal on their website. Perfect for a group of friends or a family too. And it was NEVER a Days Inn, as has been asserted - the hotel next door used to be one.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Georgian Terrace from 7/26 to 7/31/06. I read the reviews, but I went ahead and made my reservations there. We were well pleased with everyone, from parking attendant to front desk to housekeeping. Everyone was friendly, very polite, and we never had to open a door for ourselves during the entire trip. We were surprised and delighted that the "room" was literally a large one bedroom condo; with kitchen, living room, dining area, and huge bathroom, complete w/two tv's, and comfortable lounging chairs in both the living room and bedroom. There was also a washer and a dryer. There was plenty of closet space, and drawer space. One complaint is that although it had a very nice kitchen, there were no dishes or utensils, although there was a note that you could have some brought up. Also, although the bathroom is quite large, the lighting was not good for makeup. But I loved my stay here, and if in Atlanta again, this will be my home away from home. This Southern hospitality thing rocks!!!

Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2006

I would never ever stay at this hotel again or recommend it to anyone (unless I truly wanted revenge on someone)! I reserved a package with the hotel on their website for my mother and I for a valentines gift and I truly regret it. Upon arrival the front desk assistants were cordial enough, and one was in training so I dismissed a few mistakes, like no introductions, welcomes, etc. After pulling my reservation up (and I guess checked me in) after handing me an envelope containg my room key we stood there for another few minutes until she looked up and said "oh we're done checking you in"...then I had to explain I ordered a package that included an in room movie, dinner, and breakfast for two! She then pulled my (I assume reservation) out of a basket of others, took those room keys out and handed me an envelope with a vague description of my package...at this point I just wanted to get in our room. No one explained the different elevators for the different portions/floors of the hotel or offered to help with our luggage, so we trekked up to our floor looking for room 485...there is no room 485...so we haul all our luggage back downstairs I wait in line for 10 mins. show her the envelope with the wrong room number...she (doesn't apologize) she says oh..that's not room 485, that's room 405...myself, my mother, and a random employee walking around on the 4th floor all read room 485! I called to make dinner reservations for as late as possible b/c we were attending a play at the fox..the latest dinner reservation they took was 7pm I believe, of course we saw people wonder in at about 10pm b/c that's how long they took to serve us our food! We called 4 times for extra pillows, never received any. The outlet in the bathroom popped and smoked when you plugged their hairdryer into it. At our breakfast the next morning, that was included in the package, the waiter had no idea about the package offer, I had to dig out my vague package description I received at check in, he takes it to another employee and says, with this package your choice of: cereal, yogurt, milk, and OJ - meanwhie people around us are eating gourmet breakfasts that smell delicious..we didn't order anything, we left instead. No employee greeted us nicely until we were litterly on our wait out the next day! When checking out, he asked if I parked in the garage I said yes...oh well that's going to be $20 (about can't remember exactly) I explained I was not informed they offered that special price, I already took a ticket at the garage for $10 more... "oh yeah...we should have told you that at check-in" well a little late don't ya think!!!!!! And to top it off I didn't even get to speak my mind to the front at check out b/c they didn't even say hello, good morning, or how was your stay with us!!! I just called the manager instead and didn't receive any compensation, just a bland apology.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything except the location
  • Tips/Secrets — Never stay here! If you want to visit it for the history...just do that ... and visit...don't stay
  • Stayed February 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

If we hadn't spent four delightful days at the Georgian Terrace, I might have been more forgiving of a disappointing final night at the Four Seasons.

We chose the Georgian Terrace for location, convenience and price. For what we paid, I expected little else. That's why I booked the Four Seasons for our last night in Atlanta - I thought we'd welcome a bit of pampering at the end of the week.

I was wrong. The Georgian Terrace was delightful, and I regretted leaving it as soon as I saw our cramped little room at the 5-star Four Seasons.

Both hotels have excellent service. The Georgian Terrace felt less formal and more genuine; in particular, some older members of the staff - like the doorman who grinned and scolded me for opening the front door instead of waiting for him to do it - seemed like part of the place, as if they'd been there long enough to take personal pride in the hotel's traditions.

If you need room service 24 hours a day, or expect the concierge to perform some special chore at 3 a.m., choose a different hotel. The Georgian Terrace has an excellent restaurant and room service was invariably delicious, but after midnight you're on your own. To compensate, our one-bedroom suite had a full kitchen. There's a supermarket nearby, and Midtown is full of wine-and-cheese shops. But our refrigerator was usually stocked with leftovers from the generous room-service dinners, so we never got around to shopping. An unusual luxury was being able to order an extra creme brulee to keep in the 'fridge for late-night snacking.

Instead of consulting the concierge about dining and entertainment options, we asked a bellman, the hotel bartender, and a doorman where they'd take out-of-town visitors for an authentic Atlanta experience. That's how we learned about Fat Matt's for barbecue, Blind Willie's for no-frills jazz and blues, and Churchill Grounds, a jazz club directly across the street from the Georgian Terrace behind a storefront that looked deceptively like an ordinary beer bar.

When I confirmed our Orbitz reservation by calling the hotel's front desk (a good idea, since it turns out that Orbitz hadn't faxed the hotel what it needed to confirm our stay!) I asked for a room with a view. And what a view! Our 18th-floor living room and bedroom faced the downtown skyline and had a birds-eye view of neighboring structures in what is known as the Fox Theater Historic District, including the Moorish dome of the theater itself and the 1912 Italianate Ponce de Leon Apartments' ornate rooftop terrace.

As rooftops go, it would be hard to beat the one at the Georgian Terrace. The swimming pool itself is nothing fancy, but the views are dramatic, especially at night. A late-night swim can be deliciously romantic beneath a ceiling of stars, surrounded by glittering views of the downtown and midtown skylines.

If you like hotels that reflect the character of their locations - like the Drake in Chicago and the Brown Palace in Denver - and are willing to sacrifice a bit of polish if your comfort isn't compromised, try the Georgian Terrace. If you use their off-site reservations line or a travel service like Orbitz, be sure to call the hotel directly a day or two before your arrival and ask to speak to someone at the front desk. The desk clerks are the go-to folks for rooms with balconies or exceptional views. For advice about anything local, look for the doorman with the salt-and-pepper beard.

• Liked — Views. Gracious staff. Spacious room - our 'suite' was really a one-bedroom apartment.
  • Disliked — Would have preferred a king bed instead of a queen, but can't complain about comfort.
  • Tips/Secrets — Contact the hotel directly a day or two before your arrival, and ask someone at the front desk for a room with a view.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Georgian Terrace Hotel? Share your experiences!