“Nothing like I expected” 2 of 5 stars

The Georgian Terrace Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   659 Peachtree Street NE, Atlanta, GA 30308 (Midtown)   |
Ranked #35 of 190 Hotels in Atlanta
Conyers
“Nothing like I expected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2008

The only positive that I can say about this hotel is you pay for the history. For what you pay you are paying for the history because you are not paying for the room or the services. The front desk when called from room seem to act as if you are bothering them. You state you are 4 star but you can not get your car brought to you. Do not ask for the valet to be nice they are not. The bell boy when checking in left my luggage at the door and did not offer to take it to my room. I have had better service at a Hampton Inn. The TV in the room was small and the screen was fuzzy. You had no good channels. I was very disappointed in this hotel.

• Liked — HISTORY THE HOTEL HOLDS
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Milwaukee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2008

We had a great first impression, as the architecture and decor of the lobby are impressive and beautiful. Also, we were pleased that they gave us an early check-in at 11 AM. The carpet in the hallway on the sixth floor between the elevator and our room was very stained and dirty in several spots. Our room was quaint but not vacuumed, and some of the carpet was torn near the thresholds. Still, we were happy that first day.

During our 3-night stay, an important scheduled call of ours was routed to the wrong room. I was very annoyed when I later discovered that fact from the party whose call I missed. (She was understandably perturbed that I wasn't responding to her vmail message in the meantime.) The static on the phone line was sometimes horrible, which made it difficult to understand the person at the other end.

The "business center" below the lobby has two PC's with free Internet access for guests. One of the computers was busted, so there was almost always a wait to get on the working machine. (So much for "traveling light" & leaving my laptop at home.) We tried to print something, but the printer was busted, too. I told the desk that only one computer was working. Three days later, they still hadn't fixed it.

I eventually realized that our room was a level or two below what we reserved. When I went to the desk to discuss this, I was informed that the sales department had overbooked the hotel by about 40 rooms. Several people, including some very unhappy people in a wedding party, were being sent to other hotels.

They adjusted our bill, but they did not give us any sort of break for misleading us & giving us a lower-quality room than what we reserved. They were evidently not planning to tell us that we were downgraded, and they were going to let us pay the higher rate!

There are no vending machines. If you want ice, you have to call room service. If you want a bottle of Coke (they don't sell Pepsi products), you have to go to the gift shop. Annoyed, I took the elevator six floors down to the gift shop, and they had no Diet Coke. Who doesn't stock Diet Coke? Especially in Atlanta, world headquarters for Coca-Cola! And what hotel doesn't have vending? Or ice for chrissakes?! And because they gave us a room with no fridge (we were supposed to have one) we didn't have the option of stocking our own cold beverages.

MAKE SURE YOU GET THE ROOM YOU RESERVED--DON'T GET RIPPED OFF! AND BRING YOUR OWN DIET COKE!

• Liked — The architecture is aesthetically pleasing.
  • Disliked — It seemed poorly run and managed.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Homewood, AL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2008

I booked a 2/2 suite through Hotels.com in April. Because I was traveling with people I was not related to, I called the hotel directly three times to confirm the suite.
At check-in thefront desk again confirmed the 2/2 suite and said we were the first to arrive for such a suite and would be first on the list because our room was not ready yet. The hotel was sold out, yet there were only 2 employees at the front desk from 2pm to 3pm. It took over 30 min. just to get our keys. When we got to the suite, it was a 2/1. I never got an explanation.
The suite was spacious and clean. The beds were comfortable. It was the little things that make the four star rating ridiculous. I was never able to get anyone, ever to answer the phone for any service or area of the hotel. You can not call ahead for your car, you have to go down and get in line for it.
When I checked in I was shown the rate that Hotels.com (which the hotel referred to repeatedly as Expedia) paid for the room. It was about $100 less than I paid. I didn't get the room I booked plus Hotels.com charged me $33 for an extra person which the hotel does not charge. Hotels.com's response was to offer me a discount voucher so I could have this happen again. Are they kidding!

• Liked — bed
  • Disliked — Terrible service!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Bellevue, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2008

The Georgian Terrace Hotel appears to consist of two side-by-side buildings -- a 9-story historic building that's been renovated and an 18-story new building with a nice gym and pool at the top -- joined together with an awesome steel and glass atrium and lobby.

I spent one night in a "petite std room" (#1501, $169) in the new building. My first impression was "wow" because it was bigger than expected and had nice views of mid-town. The sitting room, bedroom, and bathroom were clean, looked new, and everything worked (hot shower, wired Internet, comfy bed). The only problem was the location of the wired Internet -- it was in the bedroom behind the nightstand rather than in the sitting room behind the desk. I ended up moving the chair to the nightstand and did not use the desk.

Given the variable reviews, I suspect many of the negative reviews were for renovated rooms in the historic building. I would definitely use this hotel again in the future and request a room in the upper floors of the new building.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hernando, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2008

We had a very pleasant stay at the Georgian Terrance Hotel. The room was spacious and clean but just a little worn. However, this did not detract from the charm of the hotel. The hotel was built in the early 1900's with wonderful detail, trims and moldings. The staff were all professional, courteous and friendly. The hotel was also conveniently located. I would suggest taking in the views of Atlanta from the roof which houses a pool and relaxing seating area.

• Liked — The history and charm of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pittsburgh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

A beautiful lobby and initial ambiance give way to the surliest front desk staff and the smallest hotel room in the U.S. Not even a space for a laptop -- no internet connection in the room. Noisy location with busy theater accross the street and many panhandlers that do not add to sense of security in this area. If you need to stay connected and want some peace and quiet this is not the place for you.

• Liked — close to public transportation
  • Disliked — Incredibly small room - no internet
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Salt Lake City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

This hotel is right across the street from the Fabulous Fox theatre, there are great restaurants! The rooms are beautiful and the hotel has tons of character & charm. The room I was in had it's own kitchen...nice touch. Especially if you are staying for a week or more. I would recommend this hotel to all my friends and family.

• Liked — The old southern charm & character of the hotel
  • Disliked — No wireless internet in the room
Stayed June 2008, traveled on business

Been to The Georgian Terrace Hotel? Share your experiences!