“Great location, would stay again” 4 of 5 stars

The Georgian Terrace Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   659 Peachtree Street NE, Atlanta, GA 30308 (Midtown)   |
Ranked #36 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
Lancashire
“Great location, would stay again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

Room was good size, clean and tidy and good value for a midtown hotel. Great location for visiting the city being close to the Marta. Staff were friendly and very helpful, breakfast in the hotel restaurant was tasty. Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
SC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

I have never been so disappointed in a "four-star" hotel in my life. It took over 30 minutes to get checked in, althought there was no one waiting. We were told that our reservation had to be printed off in the office downstairs and would be up quickly. Finally, after threatening to leave, they checked us in.
We waited over an hour for extra pillows to be brought to us, we were in the smallest, most cramped, room, with a double bed (not what I reserved). Then, we were kept up all night by others coming into the hotel at all hours. At 4am, our "neighbor" began blarring loud music. It took "security" over 30 minutes to arrive, then they argued with me that they couldn't hear it. However, when they finally approached my room, they could hear it. That's right, they argued with me 30 feet away from my room, and told me to leave my room (pjs and all) to come talk to them.

This place is NOT about service. It looks like a 4 star hotel but ran like a super 8 (probably not even that good.)

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
GTManager, Manager at The Georgian Terrace Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
ETraveler_2010,

We appreciate the time you’ve taken to review your stay with us at The Georgian Terrace Hotel! We’re glad the staff treated you well and that you enjoyed some of our great amenities. We are fortunate to have great perks like Café Mims.
We are eagerly awaiting approval for a potential rooms renovation this year. Our staff here at the hotel is thrilled with the idea, and look forward to the idea of a face-lift to our remaining rooms. In the mean time, we will take all the necessary steps to give our visitors a more clear idea of what we offer. The more you contribute to our knowledge of your experience, you help us improve and grow in a positive direction. Thank you once again for sharing your visit and we hope you will bring your family back to stay with us.

Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for a one day business trip. Property is a good location (Right Across the Street from Fox Theater). View from my room was great. Could see CNN, Equitable, Marriott Marquis, Westin.

The Georgian is an historic property built in 1911. When you turn on your television you get the history of the hotel which is pretty cool. However, I believe the property has been converted back and forth between condo and hotel. When you walk down the hallway to your room you get a feel of a high rise apartment building. Upon entering the room there is a full kitchen directly on your right. Then you have your bed, a desk, flat screen television and a big/long bathrrom. All of this would be great if the room was updated. You could tell by the walls, carpet, furniture, and ceilings that the hotel is in depserate need of updating/renovating. Bathroom leaves A LOT to be desired. Floor tiles were old. Faucet and cabinet were also vey dated. Plus there was peeling wall paper!

I thought to myself that I would have brought my family back for a personal trip since you have a full kitchen and the location is convenient. However, the poor condition of the rooms would cause me not to return.

On a plus side, the meeting services and food were good. They also have a small cafe (Cafe Mims) run by the hotel which serves Starbucks coffee, pastries, drinks, etc. That was very good and convenient as well. The staff was also very friendly. They stated there was a roof top pool and fitness center on the penthouse level (which probably has great rooms), however I did not see these.

The rooms in this hotel brings the rating way down. If they committed to a renovation and update, I would return.

Room Tip: Request a high floor for the view.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

I stayed at the Georgian Terrace this past weekend for a wedding. There were 5 weddings total that were going on at the hotel, so there were A LOT of people there. The reception was amazing...everything was perfect. Our room was also very nice. We had a two room suite with a living room. What bothered me the most is the service. When we checked in our luggage was left on a cart in the lobby, and we were told it would be right up. 30 minutes and two phone calls later, I could look over the balcony and see my luggage sitting right where I left it. So I went and got it myself. On another occasion I called housekeeping to get some extra towels sent up. I only got voice mail, and I left a message for extra towels. I never got them. I called the front desk twice and also just got voice mail. For a hotel of this caliber, on a BUSY weekend, the staff needed to bring their A game, and they truly did not.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
GTManager, Manager at The Georgian Terrace Hotel, responded to this review, June 8, 2011
KDJC,

We are glad that the reception went so well and you enjoyed your room! We also appreciate you taking the time to communicate to us why the service did not meet your expectations. We have every desire to address the areas that you highlighted and make sure that we prevent such problems from reoccurring. Service is an important part of our standard, and we will continue to communicate busy weekends to our staffing needs.
Please accept our sincerest apology for the inconvenience we caused. We sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Grayson, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

Pros: Restaurant is a really great place to get drinks in the evening. The view from the roof top pool is gorgeous. The room we stayed in had been dramatically updated since our last stay 2 years ago.

2 years ago our entire wedding party and most of our out of town guests stayed here for our wedding...the hotel has renovated a restaurant as well as the rooms but unfortunately the amenities at the hotel do not hold up well for the number of people now staying at the hotel.

There are only 2 elevators in this hotel...for a hotel of over 300 rooms (many of which are 2-3 bedrooms) this makes for a miserable experience. When we arrived on Thursday one of the 2 elevators was out. After waiting about 15 minutes for an elevator we had to walk the 5 flights of stairs (with our luggage) to get to our room. In a 3 day stay we were forced to use the elevator almost every time...even when the elevator does finally show up it's usually packed.

In addition, even though the hotel had been informed numerous times that the parking deck gate was not working when trying to use the provided key card when exiting this morning it took over 15 minutes because the hotel chose to ignore this issue. There were 8 cars waiting to exit in front of us and after my husband contacted the front desk they finally sent someone out. Incredibly enough when we got to the gate after a 15 minute wait (and with another 8 cars behind us) the gentleman who came out to assist spent over 3 minutes verifiying that we had paid for parking. Even though we had our key card AND receipt.

Last but not least, if you plan on eating breakfast in their very nice new restaurant, make sure you don't go between 10am and 11am. They close for that hour to transition from breakfast to brunch!

I would not recommend staying here on the weekends due to the issues above. This has become a wedding party go to and the hotel just cannot handle the number of people trying to access the amenities.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
KJPaw,

We are grateful for your review of our hotel and we appreciate the feedback you send our way. It helps us to grow and better server you as well as other patrons that stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to share your trip.
We’re so glad you enjoyed the restaurant and view from the pool, and that you noticed our improvements to updating the rooms and restaurant. As you experienced, our historic building has been around for a long time and although the architecture of our hotel is beautiful, it has not yet been perfected. We are excited to unveil our new parking system because we now have the opportunity to take cards in addition to bills instead of only dealing with cash. We are still working out the kinks, but thank you to our customer’s suggestions our system is working its way to flawless. Because the building has been around for a long time, installing a new elevator system can be extremely involved. We are all looking forward to hearing of our approval for the possibility of getting a face-lift this year.
We apologize for the inconvenience and hope you'll give us another opportunity to serve you again in the future. Thank you for choosing us for your second stay in Atlanta.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

We got it through Priceline at a very reasonable price and expected to be put in one of their lesser rooms . However they put us in a king suite . The room was huge and had every convenience including a washer/drier . There were some signs of age and the shower could use some tlc but on the whole , given the price we were very pleased .
The staff were great , particularly Linda . When we left , my wife left some jewelry in a drawer and Linda went out of her way to make sure we got it back .
We liked it so much that we extended our stay an extra night .
Extra bonus ? Just around the corner from Mary Mac's Tearoom . Biggest complaint ? Parking is unjustifiably expensive .

Room Tip: Use Priceline and limit your search area to Midton
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
GTManager, Manager at The Georgian Terrace Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
We are so incredibly happy that you enjoyed your stay with us! We try to accommodate our customers in the most thoughtful ways and although we cannot always upgrade everyone all the time, we’re more than happy to do it when available!
As we have mentioned previously, our upgrades will hopefully be approved very soon, so little signs of age will not be visible much longer. Linda is a prized employee of ours, and we are glad she took care of you! We are also huge fans of Mary Mac’s Tearoom – we hope you’ll be back very soon to explore the other incredible restaurants we have within walking distance! We can’t wait to see you again for a future visit.

minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

This hotel looks great and is in a terrific location, but there are clearly some rooms that are on the "budget" side yet are renting for luxury price. I booked through Orbitz and realize that you often get a less-than-ideal room when booking that way, but I did not expect to be in a room that was a fancy version of a dorm room. Again, the room LOOKED great - nice wallpaper, a bit small but clean, fancy linens and bathroom - but I was practically sharing space with the room next door. Did this used to be one suite that got carved up?

My biggest problem with the room was that the door did not meet the frame on all sides and there was a half-inch to an inch gap to the floor. This allowed me to hear every single sound from the hallway and from my neighbor's room since his door did not meet the floor either. I heard him sneeze, cough, pass gas and talk to his girlfriend on speaker phone at 2 a.m. I also heard every sound from the wedding reception 8 floors down since the lobby has a round atrium that funnels all sound all the way up. And every time housekeeping went in and out of the linen closet across the hall. By the way, housekeeping talks the entire time on their cell phones while working.

This brings me to my second complaint. I left my hotel in the a.m. and spent a long,hot day sightseeing. I returned at 4 p.m. to rest, shower and change for dinner and the theater and found my room had not yet been cleaned. When I called reception, I got an argument! How long are you staying?, she asked. We don't clean everyday, she said. What? When I got her to understand that I just meant trash and towels, she said they would call me when they were ready to clean. Not Ok with me since I was trying to get ready for dinner. She also suggested that they could wait until after I left for the theater. At 8 pm? This is a terrible response to a guest's request for housekeeping.

I went down to reception and got a different person who responded better, but I still waited an hour to get clean towels and the trash taken out. The odd thing was that everyone at reception kept pointing out that it was so delayed because they had a lot of guests checking out that a.m. Yup, when you have a servicemen and women's convention and an entire wedding reception check out, it will be a lot of guests. Not to mention the entire cast and crew of a Broadway musical. I would have expected the manager to put more staff on in that case.

Room Tip: Don't book through Orbitz for this hotel!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel! We take all comments seriously and appreciate any feedback that you send our way. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.
As you experienced, our historic building has been around for a long time and although the architecture of our hotel is intricate and beautiful, it has not yet been perfected. We are glad you brought up this point, as we are hoping we will get approval for a renovation very soon. It has been in the works for awhile, and we are all very excited about the possibility of getting a face-lift this year.

Brianna Salomon

Been to The Georgian Terrace Hotel? Share your experiences!