“Key Deposit? Key Withdraw!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Cheshire Motor Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Atlanta
Cheshire Motor Inn
You added Cheshire Motor Inn to your Saves list
1865 Cheshire Bridge Road Northeast, Near the intersection of Piedmont Road, Atlanta, GA 30324 (Morningside - Lenox Park)   |
Ranked #133 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
KANSAS CITY
“Key Deposit? Key Withdraw!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

The Cheshire is a gay mans hook up place, which I am definitely into. Sure the rooms are not so clean and there are some bugs now and then. And I admire the owner for trying to bring the place up and I understand that takes time. However, when I returned my key to the office, my $10 key deposit, which was guaranteed to be refunded upon the key returned to the office was absolutely refused. I find it unbelievable that they would argue over $10 and get another bad review. This hotel is being run so unprofessionally that the employees are not to be trusted. If they argue over $10 key deposit that is rightfully mine, I sure would not trust them with my credit card number! Charge your room and take the chance your number will be stolen, or pay in cash and lose the key deposit!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Norcross, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2007

If cruising is your thing then this is the place for you. There are 3 buildings but they've never offered to put me up in the "cottages" and its just as well. If you are looking for discretion and privacy then choose the back building. The front building on the other hand features full ceiling to floor windows and is my personal choice.

• Liked — The ceiling to floor windows
  • Disliked — Not as cruisy as I hoped
  • Stayed October 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
GA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2007

This place is the worst hotel or whatever it is!
The drawers were filled with roaches! The closet was filled
with urine smell. Which reek throughout! Disgusting and despicable! No one should enter! I would not let my dog lay on this floor. We got our money back but after showing the room to the Lady at the front desk. She insisted on seeing her own toilet room . I can not believe anyone could take someones money and not feel sick.. Horrible!

I cannot believe that anyone should conduct a business like this.Where are the health inspectors! This building needs to be tore down.

• Liked — not a thing
  • Disliked — everthing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
CHICAGO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2007

I travel into Atlanta several times a year for shows at the merchandise mart . In years past I have enjoyed staying at the Cheshire Bridge Motor Lodge. Last year my stay at the hotel was ok and the problems I encountered would work themselves out , But I found after my recent stay that this has only gotten worse. The Manager of the hotel LORRAINE WILLIAMS needs to remember that the guests are the ones paying her salary and they need to be treated with respect. This manager acts as if she is doing the guests a favor by letting them pay the hotel to stay there, she talks down to the guests and treats them like 2nd class citizens. I tried to discuss several of the hotel issues with her concerning my room Only to be dismissed like a child and told to get over it. I feel she cold use some help with how to deal with the public and not talk down and disrespectful to them. I have decided I WILL NOT be back to this hotel until some major changes are made. I have warned all my associates that will no longer patronage this hotel in the further.If she were the hotel guest she would act in a totally different manner.

• Liked — DESK STAFF /HOUSEKEEPING were very friendly and helpful
  • Disliked — management was rude, inconsiderate, and demeaning, disrepectful to the guests!!!!!!
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2006

The Cheshire Motor Inn is indeed right out of circa 1955. There is also not another motel like it in the U.S. The staff, led by Loraine, the Manager are all very kind and helpful, with the possible exception of the overnight clerk, who is not really that mean, but he really is not that nice either. Without a reservation, he most likely will not lease a room after Midnight. Also, there is the matter of the cruising by gay men. Most of the cruising takes place in the back building and in the many times I have stayed there, I have yet to see anyone mistreated in any way. Just as in any other hotel, in any city, keep your curtains drawn, door locked and you will be fine. The cruising has an added bonus that very few think about - it keeps the property safe! Criminals do not like witnesses and there's rare a time when people are not milling around, so the crooks go elsewhere. Parking is also free and that is extremely rare in today's Atlanta. Also present is security; however, you do not see them unless there is a problem and problems are few and far between.

Loraine deserves an ovation for the work she has done since taking over as Manager. And she nowhere close to completing all she has envisioned. She has started with the basic needs of general maintainence and upkeep and has not entered into upgrading the property as her budgets will allow. Remember, Rome was neither burned nor built in a day. These things take time. One thing I would like to see is Wireless Internet - FREE Wireless at that. Also a web site would be great. To quote Loraine; "You ain't seen nothing yet."

No, the Cheshire is not the Ritz. But it is not marketed as the Ritz. It is also not a place to take children. Furthermore, this area of Atlanta has nothing that is geared toward children To me, this is a good thing. Atlanta has many great family friendly hotels in which to stay. The city has seen to that. This is the playground for the adults and hopefully will forever be just as it is for years to come.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2006

I spent three nights and I would definitely return. It is an older property but the bedding and bathroom were clean and the housekeepers did a nice job. There is the cruising but if you keep the drapes closed you are totally unaware of it. The best thing is the Colonnade Restaurant next door. The fried chicken, collard greens, and pole beans are excellent!

Stayed April 2006
Forest City, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2006

I checked in here because of the low price. Here is a rundown of the problems. Small roaches in the bathroom but I could have lived with that. This place is a cruise area for gay men. The curtains at the front window would only close with about a 1/4 inch gap remaining. Men would go by the window and peek in all night long. One man actually knocked on my door while I was asleep and asked if I wanted company. I advised him no and then he told me about this being a "gay cruise area". They also copy your drivers license. I do not have a problem with showing and ID but to copy it is not acceptable to me with identity theft. Not a place for families or straight men to stay. I would never take a child here. Management does not seem to care what goes on here.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business

Been to Cheshire Motor Inn? Share your experiences!