“A hidden treasure of a museum” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Art Museums
Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: This 45,000-square-foot museum on the campus of Emory University is the largest natural history museum in the Southeast.
Rome, GA
3 attraction reviews
“A hidden treasure of a museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

TOTALLY recommend!!!!
If you love ancient history, this is a MUST NOT MISS.
They have mummies, all sorts of tools, jewelry, clothing...the things they have...just amazed us, and I felt like I got a better idea of how advanced these old Greek, Roman, and Egyptian cultures were. They also have a lot of Mayan artifacts.
Beautiful stuff, where parking is no issue, it's not expensive, Love it - I went with a young child (9)and a very old man(76) and they both had a ball!

Visited September 2012

Atlanta, Georgia, Usa
15 attraction reviews
“One of the larger exhibits of Egyptian artifacts in the United States”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Beautiful, but restrained museum at the Emory Campus. Good for adults and children. Much like a very very small version of the British Museum.

Visited September 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
12 attraction reviews
“Great archaeology Museum in the ATL”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

The Carlos has a very good collection of archaelogical artifacts attractively displayed. It also has a very good lecture series connected with the exhibits. Being on the Emory University Campus enhances the experience although making parking difficult

Atlanta,Ga
“Great museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Hi everyone,
The Michael- Carlos museum is a nice museum it's not a big museum but I think it's a good size. The museum is located on emory college campus.The biggest issue I had was finding the museum especially if your driving I finally gave up and called the museum. The lady that picked up was so friendly she guided me all the way to the parking deck. The parking deck she guided me to is the fishburne parking deck. It was literally 5 minutes away from the museum. There is a fee for parking there it ranges from 5 dollars up depending how long you stay there. When you come from this level go up elevator to the first floor and it will take you to where you can buy your tickets. Another great thing about this museum is they are a great value. 8 dollars for adult tickets,6.50 for students, and another 2 dollars for headphones. They also offer tours but I don't know a great deal about that. The museum has a variety of art from Asia, ancient America's, Africa, roman and Greek, written works, and Mesopotamia. Like I said if your lost just give the museum a call I hope you enjoy the museum as much as I did.

Surfside Beach, South Carolina
44 attraction reviews
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I had been wanting to visit this museum for many months. We finally decided to go and I thought it was fabulous. It is difficult to find though. I parked in the Oxford Road Parking deck and then there are two different exits from the garage and neither one puts you directly in front of the museum. We had to used a campus map (which was posted near the garage) in order to locate the museum. This would not be easy with a wheelchair or stroller. You would need to plan ahead and drop off in front of the museum and then park. I would advise that you check the campus map online and not just use the directions listed on the website.

The museum is located within the Emory Campus and the building is beautiful. The museum took our family approximately 1.5 hours to tour. For adults alone, I think you would likely spend about 2 - 2 1/2 hours if you read and really looked at everything. I do not suggest bringing small children to this museum. We have a 6 year old and 5 year old, but they are well trained for adult venues and they did fairly well. However, there are no special exhibits or areas for children, I did not see bathrooms or benches within the museum, and the space in the galleries is very tight. A stroller or wheel chair would be difficult to move throughout. Also, I was glad I checked the website because my large standard "mom purse" would have been too large for this museum. If your bag is larger than 13 square inches it must be left at the front desk. I brought a smaller purse.
This museum reminded me of a smaller version of The British Museum in London. The galleries span Egypt, the Middle East, Africa, Central and South America. Mummies, Mummified animals, jewelry, sculptures, pottery, etc. are all in this museum. There is a nice bookstore in the front area as you enter the museum. My children enjoyed it, but it is VERY quiet in there and a VERY serious type of museum.
Two Starbucks and a Barnes and Noble on campus and within walking distance. Several restaurants as well.
Enjoy.