“Less than what I expected for this historic site” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site

Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site
450 Auburn Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30312 (Old Fourth Ward)
404 331 5190

More attraction details
Attraction Details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Start at the visitor center and then work your way around the three main sites in this historic park: the home in which the leader of the Civil Rights movement in America was born, the church where he preached and the memorial site where he is buried. A major Atlanta attraction, the park draws some 500,000 visitors each year.
Boston, MA
10 attraction reviews
“Less than what I expected for this historic site”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

With the impact the Dr. King had, I would have thought the historic site would have been more than what it is. It seemed like the site was less well maintained and didn't convey a connection between the past with the hopes for the future like other sites like the John F. Kennedy Library in Boston, for example. The reflecting pool area where Dr. and Mrs King are buried looked like it is poorly maintained.

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
243 attraction reviews
“Worth a look”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

The Centre across the road from the house has a wealth of information on MLK and the Civil Rights movement. It's definitely worth a look. It held much more than I could possibly expect. we didn't go into the house he was born in as we were there late in the day but we saw it, which was nice. It was also nice to see the eternal flame burning for him and his tomb.

I wish we'd had more time to check out this area but it was getting dark and I didn't feel particularly safe in the general area. If you're planning on checking this out, make sure you do, but go earlier in the day!

Visited November 2012
Mpls
“Mlk Center”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

The history and the memories it brought back. Picturing what it must have been like to have been there in those days. Trying to picture on the people on the street the day of the funeral. I remember seeing Martin Luther King not to long before he was killed.

New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
“Enriching experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I love exhibits that showcase more than expected. We actually split this into two days. I enjoyed our tour guide for the house. He was very engaging and informative. I felt moved by the whole tour and felt his presence throughout. The self-guided tour through Ebenezer church was wonderful. They played his sermons in the background and we got to hear the choir sing as well. "Bombs over Gideon" almost brought me to tears. I felt moved while in the church. I recommend this experience to all visitors of Atlanta. It was not only enriching but it was also inspirational.

Hayward, California
10 attraction reviews
“Very respectful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The historic center was informative and well laid out. Listening to MLK's speeches was very moving. Well worth the stop if in Atlanta.