“What a lovely little zoo” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Zoo Atlanta

Zoo Atlanta
800 Cherokee Ave, Atlanta, GA 30315 (Grant Park)
404 624 5600
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 143 Attractions in Atlanta
Activities: Viewing wildlife, Group tours/walking tour, Viewing foliage
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This extraordinary zoo, one of the oldest in the U.S., underwent a multi-million dollar renovation in the 1980s and is still expanding. Its landscaping replicates the natural habitats of the numerous animals, some of which are endangered species. Two panda bears from China delight the crowds, and groups of gorillas separated by moats do their own share of entertaining.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
“What a lovely little zoo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

Firstly visiting in Thanksgiving week was probably my best and worst move ever - on the plus side it wasn't too busy, weather wasn't brilliant which suited my Scottish blood to a T and there weren't queues or mad mash ups to see the animals which meant I got to hang around for hours just watching the pandas without feeling I was stopping anyone else from doing so. on the down side when I went on the Monday there were no shows and all but one of the food stations were shut, on the Saturday I was there nice and early for it opening and almost nothing was out - my naivete showed because I didn't know it had to be 40degrees before most of them were let out, the pandas however were quite active in the cold which was the opposite to my Monday visit so I guess this is a plus too.

I overestimated the size of the zoo but again this was my own fault as I had been to Busch Gardens in the Summer and San Diego Zoo and San Diego Wildlife Parks in fall 2009 so I assumed all American zoos were huge - more from enthusiasm and excitement then idiocy I assure you.

Generally speaking I was impressed with the animals habitats, preferred the panda area to that of San Diego which surprised me and I thought the Gorillas and Orangutans had fantastic areas, it was nice to see how they were sectioned too so that you could compare the different groups. I was however was a little concerned about the Tiger and the Sun Bears as they seemed to me to be stressed and pacing a lot. I had to go away from the Tanuki as I found myself getting distressed watching the little guy just circling around and around the tree at the top of his paddock, I was there for two full days and apart from when he fell asleep every time I passed he was circling around - this seems to be a fell formed habit looking at how the dirt is cleared and compact.

Staff and volunteers were incredible, helpful, knowledgeable and friendly - a real credit to the zoo in all respects.

Prices were brilliant too, first visit was using the Atlanta City Pass but I was happy to pay again.

Atlanta, Georgia
15 attraction reviews
“Our second trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

I love this zoo. This is our second year in a row going. I took my daughter when she was one year old, and we took her also in June. I’m from LA so I’m use to very big zoos; this is now what you’re going to get here. The zoo is small but worth every dollar. Our favorite exhibit is the gorillas. We went a few days after one of the gorillas broke the viewing glass, and it was replaced and back up and running. The petting zoo was a great stop as well we could not pull our daughter away. It was also great to see how engaged was this year. I think it’s a yearly thing we will do. I can’t wait till next summer. We pulled our daughter in her wagon and it has a ice cooler attached so we filled it with cold water and snacks, so we didnt spend a dime of food or drinks. The only moent we spent was on a t-shirt.

Hammond, Louisiana
18 attraction reviews
“Such a nice zoo!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

I saw some reviews where people complained about this zoo, but my family loved it! We live outside of New Orleans and have a wonderful zoo here. I knew this zoo had pandas though, so I was sold right away!

There's a ton of shade, so it was nice and cool. Most of the animals you can get really close to, so that was great. Our daughter loved the pandas.

There was a carousel, rock climbing wall and train as far as the rides went. The carousel was really nice and the train ride was nice but it didn't go far at all. It would've been nice if they had one that went around a large portion of the zoo. We didn't do the rock climbing wall as our daughter is only two.

They had a few different animals as well that I had never seen or heard of. They had a red panda, which looks like a fox, and meerkats. Oh, and they even had labels on various plants around the park. There were many beautiful trees and plants throughout the zoo.

The only disappointment or rather aggravation, was that the Nathan's hot dog stand wasn't open, so we had to go where they said they were available and they weren't. We wound up going back to the original place for lunch to get the hot dogs.

McDonough, Georgia
“zoo is great but visitors are rude”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

took my 2 yr old son & 3 yr old neice & you wouldnt believe how rude people can be . adults stepping in front of & over toddlers because they want to see the animals ... pushing someone's stroller with a kid in it out of theyre way. & people dont teach they're kids any maners anymore . there were teenagers on the playground & one was STANDING ON my neice & didnt seem to care or be in a hurry to move .....even tho we only paid a portion of the price to get in due to a special deal day . i wish we could go do it all over again because my kids didnt have a good time they didnt get to see much. i would go back on weekdays but never again on a weekend

Warner Robins, Georgia
16 attraction reviews
“Like The Georgia Aquarium, there are better zoos too....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

We went to the Atlanta zoo on a glorious fall day. The temperature and humidity were low, and the sun was shining and bright. The zoo is nestled in the middle of a neighborhood. There is very little parking! Be forewarned. We had a long walk from our car parked on the street far from the entrance. Also, if you have trouble walking long hilly distances, then beware....you may want to be dropped off in the front, as it is a steep decline/incline getting to the front of the zoo. We got tickets online before leaving. I could see this being an advantage when the zoo is crowded, but today was a nice, uncrowded day, and there were no lines. The woman who took our tickets was RUDE, and had ZERO personality, and had NO BUSINESS working with the public, much less children. Two kids, probably under the age of 6 came up asking for maps, politely I might add...she gave them this 'Uh, excuse me, I am listening to my IPOD, you are bothering me, look' and pointed to the stack of maps. She barely grunted at us, and I made a point of saying "THANK YOU" to the hideous biddy. Some people should not get jobs just because they live in the area. Sorry. When you are doing business, niceness matters, and this shrew had absolutely no business out there. Other than HER, the staff at the zoo was engaging and very accommodating to the public. If you had a question about an animal, there was always someone there to give you information or answers. I am a well traveled person, having been to zoos all over the world...this zoo, is just okay. The exhibits are way too small for the animals, and like someone else, I think some of the animals are under stress. The Sun Bears were pacing back and forth, bored out of their minds....the elephant looked like he wished he was anywhere but in that small enclosure he is forced to call home. Then there is the problem of the exhibits themselves..they are so obstructed you can't see anything. We HEARD the Sumatran Tiger roaring, but couldn't see him because of the foliage surrounding his enclosure. The Panda exhibit was nice, and seeing mom with her baby was precious...the gorillas, all I can say is ..wow!! Love them, love seeing them, but wishing they were in the forests of the Congo instead of an area the size of my backyard......this zoo just isn't big enough by today's standards to adequately care for/entertain these animals...and it is difficult to see them being so bored and have no stimulation. The sea otter exhibit was a joke. A neighborhood koi pool is bigger than the pool given to them. You want a zoo? Trying Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago, or better yet, the Brookfield Zoo south of Chicago. Both are spectacular. The Lincoln Park Zoo is in a city setting, but much nicer with bigger exhibits...and IT IS FREE! The Brookfield Zoo is big, and spread out, but oh, my..what you get is animals with space and stimulation, and they are happier. Happier animals make for happier visitors. I left just sad. :(

Been to Zoo Atlanta? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Zoo Atlanta, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.