“They try hard, but not up to Asian Mandarin levels...” 4 of 5 stars

Drive in, Stay Late Offer
Ranked #3 of 189 hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
everywhere
“They try hard, but not up to Asian Mandarin levels...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Great property in the heard of Buckhead's shopping area. Parking is valet only and pricey. Rooms are fairly large and well furnished. I stay at the Mandarin in HK every now and then, so am using that as a comparison.

When I checked into the Atlanta hotel, I found the room did not have bottled water. I had to ask for it, and it was promptly delivered. Second, the bathroom was missing amenities that are always in the HK Mandarin (shaving kit, tooth brush, etc). While I have no doubt they would have been delivered had I asked, I would have liked them there. The soaps in the shower were Shanghai Tang brand - not great - and the tops were very difficult to take off. One of the chairs in the room had some stains on it, which is inexcusable. The first night I returned to the room at 9:15, and there was no turndown service. When housekeeping showed up, they said turndown service ends around 9:30, which seems extremely late.

The TV was not directly in front of the bed, and in fact was positioned on the wall at a very strange angle and could not pivot. While it was not uncomfortable to watch, it seemed strange.

The concierge was very helpful as was the front desk staff. I was expecting a high priority fedex package and I did not receive any indication that it had been delivered. I was out of the hotel and called in to check on delivery. I asked them to send to my room. When I returned to my room, the package was not there, and I had to go down again to retrieve it. Not very helpful.

I did not try the restaurants or the spa.

I had a good rate and would return again, but its not a slam dunk. Hopefully they can improve to the standards that their hotels in Asia set.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
As you might imagine, it was so disappointing to read your review and learn that we failed to meet your very understandable expectations. I want you to know, however, that since taking over the management of the hotel in May, 2012, we are extremely excited about some wonderful Mandarin Oriental inspired changes that we have made and are planning to make and hope that you will continue to return to enjoy them as they occur. Thank you for your comments and please return soon.

421 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I had to travel alone without my husband to see my son. I selected the Mandarin based on its elegance and service. I got so much more. They treated me with the greatest respect and care. Service was excellent. They were gracious, kind and went out of their way to be accommodating. I felt very safe and secure. The spa, pool, fitness center, sauna, whirlpool was an oasis of luxury and relaxation. The massage experience was physically, mentally & emotionally healing. The Mandarin is not a hotel, it is an experience of luxurious living. You can close the door to the outside world, live in luxury, get pampered and come home reenergized.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
It is great to know that you have discovered the experience we provide to our guests. I hope we will be "taking you away" again soon! Thank you for sharing this with TripAdvisor.

Chicago, Ilinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

My team and I chaired an advisory board meeting at the Mandarin Oriental Atlanta. Everything, from the guest rooms, to the meeting rooms to the catering services was outstanding. It is refreshing to be served healthful, tasty choices, rather than the usual starch, fatty pablum. The spa and gym are fabulous. The only hitch I ran into was the non-delivery of my luggage to my room. Staff are attentive and polite without being obsequious and overbearing. One of my best hotel experiences ever.

Room Tip: I don't think they have a bad room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your wonderful review. We enjoyed having you and look forward to welcoming you back.

Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I'm planning for my trip to Alanta and I call the Mandarin. The woman who answered the phone was AWESOME (her name is Shavonne). Well to say that's the best customer service Ive received in a long time. She was very helpful I mean se told me all the different discounts I could use. That just goes to show that this hotel will go out there way to help in anyway. So if you call to get info or book I would ask for Shavonne by name . Thank you Shavonne and Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
I have forwarded your fabulous review and compliments of Shavonne to all of our colleagues along with my thanks to Shavonne for being a true ambassador for Mandarin Oriental. We genuinely appreciate you sharing your experience on TripAdvisor so that we are able to share it with the staff as well. We all look forward to welcoming you to Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I spent the weekend at this hotel in February. The customer service was over the top. We stayed in a king room with city views. The room was very well appointed, the bed was super comfy, the bathroom was luxurious. The workout facility was top notch as well as the spa. We ate dinner in the restaurant and we were very impressed with the quality and presentation. This is the best in Atlanta.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Great to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us so much and thank you for sharing your feedback with TripAdvisor. We value the comments we receive and appreciate it when a guest takes the time to share them. We look forward to your return.

Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We live in Atlanta, but needed a weekend away from our small children to just be a married couple. I frequent hotels throughout town for conferences, events, etc. and we have stayed for nights away at some of the other top tier hotels here. Without question, this is the nicest and most beautiful hotel in Atlanta. The location is perfect unless you're here for a game or other events Downtown. But for shopping, great food, easy walks to restaurants and more, this is the place to stay. The spa is top notch and is among the best in the city in and of itself. The service here is just wonderful. My wife was having lunch in the café and was speaking with the concierge casually, just about the weather. When she asked her what the occasion was and my wife mentioned her birthday, the concierge came had someone come over with a dish of handmade truffles that were amazing. We didn't ask for anything and she was just having a lunch from the bar at a table. They just wanted to say happy birthday. Wow. People constantly greeted us, held doors, followed up, etc. All of the things a luxury hotel is supposed to do.

The rooms and bathrooms are gorgeous. Pictures cannot do them justice. The bed is unbelievably comfortable. I could just go on and on about this hotel. We will be back here for our next fun weekend out and I will continue to recommend it to friends and family who are coming into town.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
I loved reading about how our colleagues were able to ensure that your birthday was special. We love being able to surprise a guest in that way and always appreciate it when it is so much enjoyed. We are looking forward to continuing to welcome you on special occasions and/or just to get away together.

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stay at the Mandarin every time I am in Atlanta for business. It has a great location and walking distance to many restaurants.

What I am struck by every time is the level of service from every employee. The valets are polite, professional and gracious. Anyone behind the counter is extremely helpful. If you just stand somewhere in the hotel and look around, many employees will walk up and ask if they can help you. Service from top down is fantastic.

Rooms are great, comfortable and newly renovated. This is one of the few hotels where I sleep well. Bathrooms are well appointed with nice furnishings and wonderful towels.

One of the best features of this hotel is its gym. Plenty of room and lots of machines. It is always very clean with lots of towels and bottled water everywhere.

This is my favorite hotel for business in the U.S. Can't say enough about it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
We can't tell you enough how much your review of our hotel means to all of the colleagues here at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta who work so hard every day to make every guest visit special. Your review is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon and often.

Sincerely, Robert Lowe, General Manager

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta? Share your experiences!