“Beautiful hotel and excellent service” 4 of 5 stars

Drive in, Stay Late Offer
Ranked #3 of 189 hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
philadelphia area
“Beautiful hotel and excellent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I don't usually stay in luxury hotels because I have four kids and think the other guests would kill me so this is a new experience for me. I loved the lobby, I loved the service (though check-in took a long time...thank goodness we were upgraded by the end of it.) They recommended bars to go to when they found out it was the first time in 10 years that I was spending a night without my kids.
Really, I actually looked up where they got their pillows and mattresses because I loved it. And I told my husband I wanted their tub (we were on the 15th floor but I don't know what type of suite).
It is a little annoying to pay for valet service when you are paying $400 a night for a room. But the valet service people were very prompt and polite.
Admittedly, we staggered back to our room very late because we had visited some of the bars they had recommended (we took a cab and I was more tired than inebrieated) but the maid had done the turndown service. Very nice but I couldn't figure out how to turn out the lamps and my husband was pretty much useless. So I ended pulling the plugs on all of them!! And I was about to call the front desk and complain about the crazy people playing loud jazz at 2 am until I realized that the maid had turned out the radio beside the bed. Thank goodness I realized that before I was the lunatic calling them.
Also, since I had wasted my brain cells figuring out lamps and radios, I forgot to pull the drapes and the morning sun came in with a vengeance! The only night in years I could sleep in and the bright lights had me out of bed at 7:30. So pull those drapes!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for your review of your visit with us. We always enjoy having the couples who are on "retreat" and try to make sure that they have a wonderful time. We appreciate you sharing your comments with TripAdvisor and please continue to return to Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta.

421 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I'm giving this hotel 5 stars ONLY because 10 stars (what they REALLY deserve!) isn't an option! What a FABULOUS establishment! From start to finish, the staff didn't miss a beat. I booked a surprise visit for myself and my husband and I really can't say enough about this beautiful hotel. We had the Valentines Package, and their staff was absolutely amazing!The rooms are clean and the staff has an incredible knack for attention to detail. We arrived to our room complete with the rose petal turndown service and after leaving only for dinner, we returned to champagne and chocolates. Their staff remembers your name and the service in the bar was excellent as well. Room service was also a treat and wonderful as well.This is, without a doubt, the very BEST hotel in Atlanta. I would not hesitate to book another visit, and am so happy that we had the opportunity to experience what it is to TRULY be treated first class. Mandarin Oriental will definitely be our choice whenever we travel! BRAVO!!!

Room Tip: We were in a corner superior King room---loved the view from the 12th floor! It was amazing to see t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
It was so great to read your review of the Valentine's experience you had with us and I have ensured that it is being shared with all of our colleagues who work so hard to make our guests' visits extra special. Thank you for taking the time to share your accolades with TripAdvisor and know that we are looking forward so much to welcoming you back again, often.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I booked a 50 minute massage and must say that the massage part lasted about 20 minutes. The other 30 minutes were filler activities. The customer service overall was not as good as the Mansion on Peachtree had been.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
I want to offer my sincere apologies to you for the experience you had in The Spa which is certainly not acceptable to us. Our spa manager would very much like to discuss this with you to understand more of the details of what occurred so that we can address it immediately with the staff. If you would please call the hotel (404-995-7500) and ask to speak with the spa manager, she would be extremely grateful to speak with you. Again, I do apologize and hope that you contact us.

Pinckney, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We stayed here and celebrated by wife's birthday, the service and room were top notch all the way, we were more than pleased. The only issue we had is that when we went down for dinner they did not have their regular menu available so we left and went to Prime, the food was excellent and the hotel provided transportation.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor if available
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
We love being a part of a special occasion and doing everything possible to ensure that it is extra special. I'm delighted to know that we achieved that goal for you and your wife and thank you for sharing the experience with TripAdvisor readers. Regarding the issue of the menu, I will be speaking with our chef to determine why this occurred. Again, thank you for your review.

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Nice rooms, strange layout but this may be because they are condo units too, at least our suite.
Homey feel, staff always greets you by first name and is VERY attentive. Hotel seems a bit quiet for my taste but I guess a lot of people prefer that; I prefer a vibrant restaurant and bar/lobby scene. But my biggest pet peeve was the room service. It was very plain, well executed but extremely limited. The preperation was good, but I felt this was probably a waste of a talented kitchen staff! Tea service was lackluster, something really strange for a Mandarin Oriental, that kinda sums up my in room dining impression.
Als had a nice crib and baby toiletries for us which was nice.

Room Tip: Watch extras like internet and parking, like an extra 40-50 a day! Also my suite (700sf) felt crampe...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
I have read your review and appreciate your comments and suggestions. Our goal is to ensure that ever guest has a perfect stay and we never cease working to ensure that experience for each guest. Please return again so that we can have another opportunity to make your stay as perfect as possible. Again, thank you for your comments.

Sincerely, Robert Lowe, General Manager
Portland, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I enjoyed a lovely lunch at the Mandarin Oriental on a beautiful Saturday. The meal and atmosphere were comfortable. The only slip (if you want to call it that) was that they did not have a bartender on duty during lunch. The waiter had to improvise. He did an admirable job. Now, onto the spa. I booked two massages (me and my daughter). I have been pleased with other Mandarin Oriental properties in the past and was thrilled to find this one carried ESPA products which are some of my favorites. The facility was lovely and had all the amenities, but the service was terrible. The SPA was busy (which was good for them, but bad for us). There were hardly any little snacks to enjoy before and after the massage, no tea in the relaxation room and NO WATER GLASSES! And, I had to ask THREE times. I heard the spa staff laughing and frolicking behind the "Staff Only" door. Obviously ignorant to the needs of the customers beyond the door. The massages were subpar. We both had Aroma Stone. They were at best...chaotic. So, quite simply said, I have had better. I will continue my quest to find a quality spa in Atlanta.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
I sincerely apologize to you and your daughter for the unsatisfactory experience you had in our spa and can assure you without hesitation that this isolated incident is definitely not the norm. We consistently receive very complimentary reviews on our spa and please be assured that we are not ignoring your comments. We very much hope that you will give the spa one more chance and again, I apologize.

Smyrna, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Mandarin Atlanta this past Saturday night. I had mentioned in the reservation that this was a "staycation" and that we had planned to be in New York City for a romantic (kid free) weekend, but the blizzard caused our flights to be cancelled. I had asked for a high floor room (which we received), but we were completely blown away upon entering the room. There was a note from the manager extending his regret that we were unable to go to NYC and a gift bag containing a copy of the "Sex and the City" movie (for at least a look at the Big Apple) and a peach scented candle (in keeping with an Atlanta theme). They had even set up a DVD player for us. We had a great visit to the Mandarin. The grounds and the building were gorgeous and the staff could not have been more pleasant. The only negative, and this is very minor, is that exterior windows in our room desperately need cleaning. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Knowing first hand how truly disappointing it can be to have your flight cancelled, I am delighted to learn that we were able to make up for it and that you and your wife had such a great time on your visit. Thank you for sharing your experience with TripAdvisor travellers.

Robert Lowe, General Manager

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta? Share your experiences!